Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-30-2001, 09:05 AM   #51
Bluto
Founding Member

Default Nothin' wrong with shaft drive

The only shortcoming of shaft is the limited selection of bikes so equipped. Shaft drive has got the bad end of some spurious conventional wisdom.

Chain drive has the same advantages in a car that it does on a bike (low cost, light weight, efficient power transfer, simple gearing changes,) yet no car makers use it. Why? It's a maintenance PIA of the first order, and car buyers would not put up with its subtle advantages for its substantial cost in hassles.

Time has shown that most motorcyclists are not deterred by the extra maintenance and repair a chain inflicts, and it is significantly cheaper than a shaft, so what do you _think_ the manufacturers are gonna do? Convince you it's somehow better, of course.

That's what the marketing department is for.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2001, 09:07 AM   #52
Bluto
Founding Member

Default oops! EOM

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 06:39 AM   #53
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default You are not a typical motorcyclist...

and the ZRX1100 series is aimed at riders who want one good all-around bike. They did a decent job IMO though it's certainly not the only one.

FYI most riders would consider 8 hours touring on a full-tilt sportbike to require the same mentality as people who burn themselves with cigarettes. But a 16 hour day can be comfortable on the right bike and quite a few cars (hint: sell the crotchrocket AND the pickup and get a BMW either 2 wheeled or 4). But then that's not your style. Glad they make something for you AND something for me, aren't you? Ride safe.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 11:38 PM   #54
BammBamm
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZRX1200S Reader Feedback

If you live in Seattle, you don't need insurance. There is no requirement for insurance for a motorcycle in Washington.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 09:16 AM   #55
sfcrotty
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly, Ugly, Ugly...NOT

I'm not arguing technology -- just styling. Reasonably-priced bikes with reasonable performance get a big thumbs up in my book. I just don't understand why they have to look like they've all been designed by the same guy that's been sitting in a small room in Japan drawing pictures of motorcycles for the last 30 years.

Full disclosure: I tend to prefer European styling in motorcycles, and I was thrilled to see Kawazukimahonda sport bikes start to take some styling cues from Ducati.

My own personal dream would be to have a Japanese mfg. make a reliable, user-friendly twin (like the SoopaHok) that looks as cool as the old-school (pre-restyle) Ducati 900SSCR. Notice that I didn't say "the same as" but "as cool as." Suzuki's SV 650 is a step in the right direction, IMNSHO.

c

p.s. I live in San Francisco, so I see people trying to do that "so ugly it's cool" thing every day. 99.9% of the time, it's just ugly, and this motorcycle is not that 0.01%.
sfcrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 12:13 PM   #56
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Accent - I AM British

Not in the least bit surprised here. I lived in rural Norfolk for three years. I was able to de-cipher (and even mimic) the Norfolk dialect near the end of my stay. For those who haven't heard it, The old Monty Python episode with the village idiot competition is a direct slam against Norfolk farmers, their hilarious garb, and their incomprehensible accents. Think of Norfolk as England's equivalent to our Arkansas, with better beer.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 03:53 PM   #57
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I LIKE motorcycles

I even like them to look like motorcycles. I also think Ducati's 916 is masterpiece styling, but I think the R1 looks kind of cheesy. It comes down to whether the styling is part of, and a result of, the machine, or whether it's just covering up the machine. That's why a standard can (almost) never look bad. Ok, nighthawks are pretty ugly, but only because they tried to put a mono-shock style tail on a dual shock bike, and covering up part of the shocks makes it look like a scooter.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 06:27 PM   #58
robby
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZRX1200S Reader Feedback

I completely agree. Selling a "standard" without a center stand is a deal-breaker. Kudos to Suzuki and Yamaha for providing a center stand.
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 06:51 AM   #59
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly, Ugly, Ugly...NOT

I agree... cool but different - with a healthy dollop of performance. When the Yam Seca II came out I thought it was a cool looking 'standard' bike... prob was it was way down on power. I still think the engine leaning forward in the frame with the nifty equal length headers and 1/3 fairing looked pretty good... somewhat bland but at least different. Where's the old Fazer too! That was a great bike (in my opinion) very different styling and strong engine. Wish I could find one!
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 06:53 AM   #60
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: I have a prediction...

I have to agree... I've got an old GSXR and that slab sided fairring was dated 6 months after it was introduced... sigh.

On of the nicer old bikes is the CB750/900/1100F series. Super sports then but strong standards now... kinda like the ZRX.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote