Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-29-2001, 02:21 PM   #41
fwalters
Founding Member

Default Re: Loud plaid suit with white leather?

Amen to the Cyndi Lauper paint jobs and graphics. They suck. The first thing I do when I get a new bike is peel em off.

Of course, alot of the guys that hate the retro bikes aren't old enough to know who Cyndi is......
fwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2001, 03:14 PM   #42
streetlegal
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZRX1200S Reader Feedback

When I go on the highway, I take my pickup truck. I only ride on the track. I did ride on the street for many years. I stopped because of legal and insurance costs that compounded one another, and because I'd rather spend the money racing.

When I rode on the street, I rode Suzuki sports bikes -- notably the 'worst' ergos of them all. I would ride 4 hours in comfort, 8 would be long but not painful. 16 hours is not comfortable on any bike or in any car -- I've done it (Seattle to Vegas), and I know it wouldn't be better on this pig.

If I was going to sell my pickup, I wouldn't need this bike.

I would need the speed limit repealed.

I would need mandatory insurance repealed.

streetlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 05:12 PM   #43
Mikey
Registered Member

Default Re: Ugly, Ugly, Ugly...NOT

What's wrong with the standards? Take the ZR-7 for example. Modern brakes, tires, and suspension with air-cooled simplicity and modern styling. It puts 70hp to the ground, turns a mid-12 quarter, and tops out at about 130mph. Best of all it is under $6000. I looked at buying a ZRX-12 but they were just too heavy, plus I wasn't crazy about the dual shocks.

I'm probably wasting my time replying, but oh well.

Mike
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 09:38 PM   #44
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Accent - I AM British

I would hardly call an Ulsterman a Brit, at least not to the people I hang out with...but another time, another place, for I stray off topic...

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 11:10 PM   #45
rvfrules
Founding Member

Lots of people don't like the looks of the S compared to the bikini-cowl version. I agree. And Kawasaki could make the bike look a hell of a lot better if it dropped the stupid graphics and went with a tasteful one-color paint job, a la Bandit and FZ. But that said, I don't thing many people would buy the S model for its looks. They'd buy it for the fairing, which lets you fully exploit the engine's awesome high-speed touring potential, and for the dual headlights, which lets you ride faster and more safely at night. I reckon Kawasaki's losing more than a few sales by not offering it for sale in North America.

Second, someone said they'd like to see this engine in a sporty touring bike. Well, they won't have to wait long. Next year, Kawi's going to be releasing a ZX-12 (ZZR-1200) that features this engine. Judging from pics in Japanese bike mags, it looks like a blend between a ZX-11 and a ZX-12R.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 11:12 PM   #46
rvfrules
Founding Member

Lots of people don't like the looks of the S compared to the bikini-cowl version. I agree. Kawasaki could make the bike look a hell of a lot better if it dropped the stupid graphics and went with a tasteful one-color paint job, a la Bandit and FZ. But that said, I don't thing many people would buy the S model for its looks. They'd buy it for the fairing, which lets you fully exploit the engine's awesome high-speed touring potential, and for the dual headlights, which lets you ride faster and more safely at night. I reckon Kawasaki's losing more than a few sales by not offering it in North America.

Second, someone said they'd like to see this engine in a sporty touring bike. Well, they won't have to wait long. Next year, Kawi's going to be releasing a ZX-12 (ZZR-1200) that features this engine. Judging from pics in Japanese bike mags, it looks like a blend between a ZX-11 and a ZX-12R.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:13 PM   #47
rvfrules
Founding Member

Sorry about the repeat. I thought I was just editing my comment, not reposting it!!

Old 06-30-2001, 07:42 AM   #48
Bluto
Founding Member

Default Some folks are big

There is no substance to the cliche' that big bikes don't handle and are not fun. There are splendid-handling heavy bikes, and there are wretched ones that happen to be very light.

If smaller were inherently better, then we'd all be riding 125 MXers, or Z50 Monkeys, or GoPeds. But you would prefer a sport bike that weighs 2 to 12 times what any of those do.

As for guys like me in the way over six-n-a-half feet, way over 300 lbs. category, we would be no happier on a 600 supersport than you would be on a Buell Blast. You know how the reviews will point out that Johnnny-come-lately repli-racer sucks for riding two-up? Well I'm two-up all by myself, son, stand aside. For me a big, roomy, and yes, heavy bike feels right and rides right. (To live with the ZRX I'd probably need to swap the bars and seat to get a bigger .)

To each his own. You can't swing a dead cat without smackin' a plastic wrapped wonderbike, but there are not too many big strong bikes like the ZRX12 to be had. Each one counts.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2001, 07:49 AM   #49
Bluto
Founding Member

Default I have a prediction...

It's my guess that in about 12.5 years (one half of a fashion full circle) the unfaired/bikini faired ZRX will still make people say "whoa," but the R1 and its style kin will make people say "eeww" and wrinkle their noses.

Care to lay odds?

Old 06-30-2001, 08:05 AM   #50
Bluto
Founding Member

Default Nothin

The only shortcoming of shaft is the limited selection of bikes so equipped. Shaft drive has got the bad end of some spurious conventional wisdom.

Chain drive has the same advantages in a car that it does on a bike (low cost, light weight, efficient power transfer, simple gearing changes,) yet no car makers use it. Why? It's a maintenance PIA of the first order, and car buyers would not put up with its subtle advantages for its substantial cost in hassles.

Time has shown that most motorcyclists are not deterred by the extra maintenance and repair a chain inflicts, and it is significantly cheaper than a shaft, so what do you _think_ the manufacturers are gonna do? Convince you it's somehow better, of course.

That's what the marketing department is for.