Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-25-2001, 08:46 AM   #21
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia RST Futura Feedback

I'm not going to cap on this bike too much... I thought the Hayabusa was hella ugly when I first saw it, both in pictures and in person, but it grew on me, so I'll reserve judgement on the Aprilia, but I have to say that my first impression of the Futura (in both this and in print mags) is OOOOGLAY! I'll wait 'til I see it in person, though. It sounds to me that Aprilia has built an outstanding sport-tourer, though.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2001, 09:38 AM   #22
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Product lineups

Does Aprilla have any mid sized engines??? Seems to me they make scooter two strokes and one 990cc vtwin in different states of tune. I'm sure if they had a mid sized engine they'd be creating a stir in the 600/lightweight arena!

Hey maybe if they just cut off the rear cylinder and made a 495cc single a la Buell Blast? OK, ok, just kidding.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 10:44 AM   #23
Grappelli
Registered Member

Futura vs. ST4s vs. VFR 800 vs. Sprint ST vs. 1150GS would be awsome. That would be a review I'd read and read.

You know, if you really wanted to trow a joker into the pack and compare a bike that should also be in this group.. you'd chuck in the Katana 750. (Not that I'm looking to buy one of these) It'd be a sort of "Sport touring, $6k to $16k on the road" There's a lot of us out here, can only afford one bike and want to be able to tour and scratch on it.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 10:48 AM   #24
Grappelli
Registered Member

I'm the same size and ride a 1150GS because of it. No complaints, but I'd like to ride something that fit me with a bit more "go". But did you think it'd be comfortable for a lot of miles?
Old 06-26-2001, 11:00 AM   #25
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Product lineups

They make a 600cc Pegaso, dual Purpose bike, using the Rotax engine like the BMW, but using an extra valve. In fact, until recently, they used to make the F650 for BMW.

It seems they are now developing two new engines: a 500-650 twin, and a big bore thumper. Or at least that's what I've read.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:15 AM   #26
Grappelli
Registered Member

Oh yes, and the upcoming R1150S when BMW release that... and if 7 way tests are too much, drop the GS and the Katana!! (I have a 2001 GS anyway....)

I'm getting quite excited about this now! I read the supersport tests, but I'm never going to buy one. (Too big and I can't arch my neck enough to see clearly out of my glasses for long periods) Litre bikes are the same and the Hayabusa/12 type bikes are just tooooo fast for me. (Not controlled enough.. I would ride the damn thing too hard and loose my license.. which I've nearly done anyway..)

But this is a test that would relate to me and bikes that I might buy. (Ok, so I'm still too big for the VFR and the Sprint)

Actually, if you do this test, can you have someone over 5'8" on the team of testers.. Talking of which, I see you guys regularly around on new bikes you're testing, so if you need a big tester from locally.......

#)
Old 06-27-2001, 05:38 AM   #27
RS-Mike
Founding Member

Default Re: Geez, Sports Tourers are getting complicated

As I live in Sweden, where the FJR is available, and like sport tourers on the sportier side I was very curoius about the FJR.

I have seen, and been seated on, the bike at a show in Sweden and I have read several tests of the bike. But I have NOT driven it myself so take my opinions for what they are...

I would say that the FJR1300 most definitively is on the "toury" side of sport tourers. It might have a powerful engine and a good chassi but the ergos scream tourer to me. The bars are raised at least 3 inches with creates a "sit-up-and-beg" riding position that is anything but sporty. The machine is also heavy. It is around 30 kilograms (more than 60 pounds) heavier than the Sprint ST and even 6-7 pounds heavier than the Triumph Trophy, which nobody in their right mind would call sporty.

Of course it is much lighter and sportier than the BMW R1150RT, but acording to my European standards this bike is a full fledged tourer, not a sport tourer of any kind.

My advise is to go with a Triumph Sprint ST or a Honda VFR if you want a real sport tourer. But if you want something closer to a tourer, the FJR would be ideal. Personally I couldn't think of a better bike to ride the "Ironbutt Rally" on.
RS-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 02:15 AM   #28
Carlton
Founding Member

Default Sounds good to me..

Great info Mike. I want the FJR stateside for just the reasons you mentioned. I have a 2000 R1 that I have equipped with a higher screen, helibars, and a corbin saddle for those sport-touring kinda days (when I'm not on the track). So outfitted, 300 mile days are possible. But I've been wanting to ride further distances and still be able to moderately attack a set of curves when I get there. The full on tourers (ST1100, RT) are a bit too heavy and underpowered for me, and the VFR, etc., is a bit too sporty. The FJR strikes the perfect balance, not to mention it's hardbags, fuel injection, shaft drive, good looks, adjustable screen, etc. Hopefully next Spring/Summer, I'll have one in my garage.

Oh, and before I forget, M.O., we all know you know something about the FJR. How's about a hint?
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 03:32 AM   #29
tdeboeser
Founding Member

First: fugly, but I might be able to get over that. The article while favorable didn't seem like you were writing with the passion inspired by the test. IRC, while reading the GSXR1000 test it seemed you guys were blown away by the bike.

Second:

Don't be afaid to tell us that it didn't feel/perform as well as a VFR/ST4/Sprint ST/etc. Which would you rather have? Just because you haven't tested a bike for a while, doesn't mean you can't let us know what you think.

If you do a multi-bike test include the BMW R1100S, testers and owners love this bike, but not the best on paper. I'd like to know how it stands up against others in the class.

Third:

Those of us who maybe in the market wanta know what we should be looking for. e.g. in your opinon is a Futura or BMW a better choice over a FZ1 or VFR, etc. I know BMW and Aprilla allow test rides, but the others usally don't, so we rely on the press to help us....

tom de. (damn! so many choices!)

tdeboeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 06:04 PM   #30
Dual__Exhaust
Founding Member

These a-holes apparently will never figure out the weight advantage and "nut"-saving benefits of a split seat...like the latest bicycles all have. Taking the pressure off my "junk" would aid in the ability to ride ANY bike all day. How about Corbin? Nobody has figured it out. More sensation from my "goodies" equals more miles, equals more preventive maintenance, equals more parts, equals more sales. Those A-holes!
Dual__Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote