Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2001, 12:29 PM   #31
streetlegal
Founding Member

Default TL discontinued

The TLS will be discontinued, and the TLR will follow the next year.

As a proud owner of a TLR, I have to say it makes sense. The bike had some potential as a great street machine and a good club-level racer, but to compete with the light weight tackle available now, it would require a major upgrade and redesign from the original '97-'98 version.

I have a Honda too, and the TLR will spank it. It would just about take a full HRC kit to make the Honda better than what you could do to a TLR.

At the pro level of racing, the TLR obviously didn't cut it. First of all because Suzuki had all their resources committed to GP, but also because there were significant problems with the TLR's engine and chassis that demanded intensive development. I am sure Suzuki could have taken the TL and gone toe to toe with Honda's works RC51 if they had the same level of committment. But they never did.

Now Suzuki could totally redesign their big twin, but why? The GSXR is so much better than the existing twin and the competition's twin, so why another twin? The SV makes sense because it's a totally different market segment.

streetlegal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2001, 01:09 PM   #32
MC
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Suzuki Model Reader Feedback

Seeing as how the Bandit 1200 was redesigned for 2001, I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed for anything more than color changes for 2002.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 01:25 PM   #33
12er
Founding Member

There is a shiny new laverda 750 twin available, well kinda, try and find one....
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 01:54 PM   #34
Spooner
Founding Member

I agree: Suzuki needs a Full Dresser, needs a Sport Touring with windshield and bags, and needs to be first at something like bringing a 650 Scooter to the USA.
Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 05:30 PM   #35
granny
Founding Member

There is nothing wrong with an SV650 except that it's just a bit less overkill on public roads than an R1 is. They're all good so long as they have two wheels.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 02:48 AM   #36
Janet
Founding Member

Default Re: SV1000

I don't necessarily agree with you BBD_Racing. Cagiva make the Raptor 1000 which is, in attitude, pretty much like an SV1000, and is based on the TL1000S motor.

The Raptor can be ridden aggressively and is very competent when ridden in that manner. It can also be ridden in a much more easy-going way and it isn't a handful at all. The upright bars and overall chasis geometry make for an easily controllable, quick steering but inherently stable bike. Mine has BT56's (120/70F,180/55R) fitted and they work extremely well on the bike giving confidence and good feedback.

My understanding is that Suzuki won't let Cagiva import the Raptor into the USA. I wonder whether that will change once the TL1000S is no longer there to compete with it.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 05:33 AM   #37
extremeaussie
Founding Member

Default Re: TL discontinued

I work as an Industrial Engineer and the amount of money Suzuki is saving by utilizing identical fabrication processes across their GSXR family has got to be mind-blowing. How do you think they were able to afford installing TiN coated forks on the GSXR1000? Why not expand on this same concept and provide us with a TLR based on the GSXR platform?
extremeaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 05:37 AM   #38
extremeaussie
Founding Member

Default Re: Update TLR

I work as an Industrial Engineer and the amount of money Suzuki is saving by utilizing identical fabrication processes across their GSXR family has got to be mind-blowing. How else can you explain the GSXR1000's performance and the fact that they were able to afford installing TiN coated forks on it. Why not expand on this same concept and provide us with a TLR based on the GSXR platform?
extremeaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 12:11 PM   #39
streetlegal
Founding Member

Default Re: Update TLR

That idea contradicts itself. The motors are obviously totally different, so there is no identical fabrication processes there. Are you proposing they put a TL motor in a GSXR frame?

For the most part this wouldn't work at all. It may be possible, but the result would be bad.

The existing TL motor, and 90 degree v-twin motors as a rule are much, much longer than inline 4 cylinder motors. Therefore, the frame must have much more space between where the steering head locates the forks and the swingarm pivot locates the rear.

This very problem is why the TL has a 23 degree rake angle, a very short swingarm, and a rotary rear damper -- to fit the long motor in a short wheelbase. The solution is worse than the disease. To make the TL handle, it needs the rake adjusted, less offset for more trail, and a longer swingarm with a telescopic damper. That's basically exactly what the Honda RC51 has compared to the TL.

The GSXR, on the other hand, is much, much wider than the TL. It might not look like it in the photos, and with the bodywork on the TL looks WIDE. However, it's wide because the the upper radiator is very wide. Take the bodywork over the radiator off and the TL is skinnier than a 916 Ducati. The frame rails are less than half the width of a GSXR. So what would you do with all the space in there?

One thing Bimota tried was to put a long linkage to a telescopic shock located adjacent to the motor inside wider frame rails. Whatever...

streetlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 06:38 AM   #40
MtnMan
Founding Member

To bad there isn't more information on the 2002 DR 400's? What changes to the suspension,Seat, performance,Etc. and what does this mean>The big changes to the line-up, however, takes place not on the street, but in the dirt.I don't read any big changes? Would be great to have more info....

MtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote