Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-19-2001, 02:42 AM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Race Track in San Diego

I wish you luck in pursuing your dream. You'll need it!

Pete P.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2001, 03:55 AM   #2
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default No thanks!

Dajet,

"need aprox 200 more) into escrow, contingent upon public funding, for a private race track"

Dig deeper into your own pocket, not the publics. We don't need another Orange County Tollroad Authority...

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 04:55 AM   #3
ollie
Founding Member

Well, as a San Diego biker and sports-car owner, all I can say is: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this become a reality!!!!!!

I'll even donate time or a small amount of money (I'm not rich) to the cause - let me know how I can help!
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 05:18 AM   #4
Ruche
Founding Member

As another San Diegan biker, I think it is a great idea and would be willing to donate some time on the project (MO username: Ruche).

Have you thought of building the track in TECATE, MEX. Talk about low regulations, cheap land, and nice twisty roads to get there from San Diego... just getting there would be a joy of its own.

Just a thought...
Ruche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 05:23 AM   #5
crg
Founding Member

Default Re: No thanks!

What are you talking about? I don't think he is talking about taxes here, but something more along the line of public ownership (ie:stock).

California won't even build power stations, you think their going to take their tax revenue and spend it on racetracks?
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 05:58 AM   #6
JasonVS
Founding Member

Always going up to Willow is a complete drag. I also do YSR and the nearest tracks are all pretty far away, too. Lots of money in big tracks but also a lot of money and interest from the kart and YSR guys for a kart track.
JasonVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 06:09 AM   #7
wwalkersd
Founding Member

I'd love to see a track closer to SD than Willow. I thought there was a plan in the works to try to build a track in the Otay Mesa area (Ray Rubio, San Diego Grand Prix, etc). Has that come to nought? It wouldn't surprise me, since there are probably already too many NIMBYs entrenched down there (not to mention "big time developers" who own most of the land).

Can your track support itself, and repay the investors, based on user fees alone? If not, then can you attract pro events, and convince a large enough audience to go out to Imperial County? You're unlikely to draw many people from LA way out there.

I really, really, hope this can be made to work. But I wouldn't bet on it.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 06:55 AM   #8
Turn8
Founding Member

This is definitely a possibility. My business partner and I are avid motorcyclists and racers (primarily at Willow) have kicked around for years how to develop a new venue. The need for another road racing facility in So. Cal. is obvious. Uses? Motorcycle Club racing (CCS, AFM, New club) track days, Wera, AMA bike team private testing, AMA? possibly after a few years of development...Car Clubs, SCCA, CART, Formula 2000 and other pro car team testing - plus with the close proximity to LA with auto and bike magazines, advertising agencies, and of course Hollywood, there are more than enough local "clients" to support a mid level facility. Funding would have to be private, starting with an initial 30 - 40 million, with an approximate total of 100m over 5 years. At that point in development it would be considered a national (international too?) level racing facility. There are over 20 m people in so. Cal.,and it is the car/bike capital of the world. Go for it!
Turn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 07:23 AM   #9
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: No thanks!

"Public funding" can mean anything...

States, counties and cities have a bad habit/track record with ventures of this type. And it is done all of the time.

The City of San Bernardino, CA has sunk monies into malls, retail movies venues and other garbage investments. This type of investment is paid for out of "Redevelopment" funding from the Federal Gov. Local govenments (cities, etc) have to match x percent of these funds to get the Fed money. Cities are more than happy to issue bonds, take out loans, anything - shift the burden to the tax payer - for short-term cash... Cities can suck from the "Redevelopment" t*t with out asking tax payers.

I'm all for a new race track. Just don't ask the fed, state or local tax payer for a penny.

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 07:25 AM   #10
vee4pilot
Founding Member

Once you cross that border you're going to be robbed by the Mexican Govt.
vee4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote