Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-15-2001, 09:09 AM   #1
Capt_Kawi
Founding Member

Default Re: Inline-four vs. V-four Sport Touring

Comparing the 6R to the VFR....Never would have thought of that myself!

Seems to indicate the 6R is WAY overdue for a revamp.

(Kawi's long gone)
Capt_Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2001, 09:22 AM   #2
MC
Founding Member

Default A little confused on the comfort issue

At the end of the article, you say :

If you prefer more sport than comfort, the ZX-6R is for you. If making slight (and these are very slight) real-world performance sacrifices is acceptable in exchange for a bit more comfort, the VFR800 will serve the rider nicely.

However, a few paragraphs above, you say :

With the Kawi you can easily (in complete comfort) do 600 mile days on the bike, just like on the VFR...

What gives? The Kawaski is apparantly completly comfortable on long rides, so the VFR is a bit more than completely comfortable? Any bike I can do a 600 mile day on and be in complete comfort must be pretty damned comfortable.

The conclusion seems to be to go with the VFR if you like/need fuel injection (and more consistant power at various altitudes), otherwise the 6R is the way to go, regardless of weather you are an agressive sport rider or a sport-tourer kinda person.

Anywho... it was a neat comparo. I like seeing stuff like this, even though the comparison, or maybe it is the write-up, appears to be largely useless.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 09:28 AM   #3
Eric
Founding Member

Overall nice review. However, it would have been nice if you had tested them with soft bags and a tankbag. Will both accept magnetic tankbags? How do loaded saddlebags change the handling characteristics? What are the load limits? These little details would have been nice for those that like to include overnight stays when touring.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 09:31 AM   #4
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

I agree with about everything you guys said about the VFR. I don't particularly like the linked brakes, they would be better if you could employ all front pistons at once, but I guess they're still O.K. for stoppies. They are fade prone too, but like the article said, I've rarely pushed my bike so hard that I've ever had it happen to me, and I push pretty hard. I would have liked to see what you got for stopping distances between the two (not what manufacturers report), and top speeds/quarter mile times, just for kicks. This sounds more like a report/excuse for a day ride instead of a real comparo. I went for a ride the other day with my friend who was riding a Hayabusa, can I write a report? I liked the article, just wish there were more hard facts/figures, not that I would sell my bike and go get a zx-6r, but just so I knew.

Keep up the good work guys just throw in more details.

luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 10:50 AM   #5
Neal
Founding Member

OR you could shell out the bucks for an Aprillia Futura....although i havent yet seen one from what I read its the best of both worlds.By the way,as a 49 year old who sometimes rides my son's 6R for short jaunts i cant imagine doing 600 mile days on one....MAYBE 300(with lots of ADVIL)
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 11:03 AM   #6
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Hey MO-

6R vs. VFR? Apples and oranges, when Kawasaki makes a much better bike for that comparo. The ZX-6, not the ZX-6R, is what really should be compared to the VFR. Then, you wouldn't end with the ultra-predictable (paraphrase) "If you like sport more, get the 6R; if you like real-world riding, get the VFR."

The least you could have done is include a link to your review of the ZX-6 in the "Related Readings" section.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 11:17 AM   #7
das
Founding Member

Like others, I'd like to start by saying that this type of comparison is the right way to go. Most comparisons focus on bikes with a similar engine displacement configuration. When I'm shopping for a bike, I don't really have my heart set on a particular engine configuration, I'm focussed on which bike best suits my riding. Kudos to MO for doing this comparison.

That said, I also agree with others that there wasn't enough info there. I would have liked to see more than 2 bikes in the comparison. Triumph and Ducati make bikes in this category.

Question about the VFR brakes... Do you think changing the pads would make a significant improvement, or not? If you get a chance, could you try that out, and let us know?

das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 11:18 AM   #8
gappy
Founding Member

Given the very similar rating of the two bikes, I would say that it is the VFR that is due for a revamp (which will come in one year or less). The VFR is $1500 more expensive than a 600, and $1000 more expensive than a FZ-1, which has more power and hard bags. Sure, it is enough to see a VFR next to an R6 to understand where the money went: the quaility of the VFR is stellar. But is it enough to sell, these days?

As for the R6: it would be nice if it had rear rebound damping control, a better , nicer colors and, if possible, valve maintenance intervals of 15,000 mi (as opposed to 6,000).

-gappy
gappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 11:23 AM   #9
MC
Founding Member

Default Re: FZ-1 w/hard bags?

An FZ-1 with hard bags? Where?

MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 12:21 PM   #10
tbuse
Founding Member

Since you are doing a "sport/touring" comparison, don't you think you should include minor things like...umm, bags? Based on the pictures, I'd really hate to see where you stored your toothbrush on this "tour". A comparison of the Triumph Sprint ST or Trophy would have been interesting. Or maybe the Ducati ST2 or ST4. Then you could have had 2 cylinders v. 3 cylinders v. 4 cylinders.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote