Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-19-2001, 09:56 AM   #61
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Inline-four vs. V-four Sport Touring

If you mean the 6R (which they reviewed and not the R6), it does have fully adjustable suspension front and rear, as far as I know (rebound and compression damping). In fact, I think all 600 class supersport bikes (F4i, 6R, R6, GSXR) are fully adjustable.

As far as the other points, yeah the standard Kawi green is a bit much, but they have in red that was almost a solid color. I guess they have a blue bike for 2001 with just a couple small stickers and no fancy graphics.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2001, 01:08 PM   #62
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Hey there Randal! Thanks for the info. I've got an 86 GSXR1100 and just got married. Needless to say the gsxr is a pathetic touring bike (although I do 800 mile trips solo several times a year), particularly two up. I'm 5'10" 155lbs and my wife's 5'2" and really small . How is riding hard in the twisties on the VFR two up? I'm looking for a late model bike and was thinking more ZX11 but everyone seems to love the ole VFR. Maybe I should consider it.

thanks,

Chris.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 08:08 AM   #63
stevegrab
Founding Member

I for one applaud MO for doing such an interesting comparison. Sure it was a little short on technical info. It could have included other bikes, but the fact that they did a real world comparison that somebody shopping for a bike might do, is better than most magazines which will only compare bikes of near identical configuration.

And to all those that are saying it should have had this that and the other bike, or now do a comparison of this.... Understand that MO is never going to satisfy everybody with any single review. The fact that they did this review may cause readers to realize that some bikes which most consider to be quite different, in fact fill the same purpose.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 10:50 AM   #64
drandall
Founding Member

Excellent article, but I must disagree with Minime about the VFR's linked braking system needing to go. In real-world riding, there is nothing better. How many riders die every year because they mash the rear brake and nothing much happens? Every article I've seen shows the VFR stopping having much shorter distances than any other bike.

On the track, or even a focused street-sport ride, individual braking may be better for some very skilled riders, but the VFR's linked brakes are better for most of us, almost all of the time. Every rider I've heard bragging about how great they are on the brakes has needed linked-brakes or ABS more than anyone else (these are also the same guys who pose at doughnut shops, bragging about how fast they are, while only the center of their tires are worn).

In Seattle in February, linked-brakes and/or ABS will save riders lives, and I feel Minime does riders wrong by pitching the usual "linked brakes and ABS can't be taken to the 10/10ths limit man" spiel; 99.999% of us never get full-out, and crash if we do.

Last year, with fourteen years of street riding experience, five years of motocross, and a year as a rider training instructor under my belt, I stupidly locked my front brake on some crap on the road, and dropped my first ever new bike. would I have liked linked or ABS brakes then: hell yes, and my next bike will have them.

David Randall

Carnation, WA
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 01:51 PM   #65
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: FZ-1 w/hard bags?

I'd be happy to just SEE an article in MO about the FZ-1. You were going to run a comparison against the Bandit 1200 were you not?
Old 06-20-2001, 01:58 PM   #66
CBR1000F
Founding Member

To answer item 5:

Yes.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:25 PM   #67
DoktorNo
Founding Member

Since I am coming from a different expensive hobby, the UNpowered cycles there is one thing I always find confusing about statements like "With the Kawi you can easily (in complete comfort) do 600 mile days on the bike, just like on the VFR. " and that is: How tall is this guy? I do not mean any disrespect but since adjusting the bike for your body size is limited at best, it would help to know if the writer is short and stocky or tall and thin. To top it off, most dealerships in Texas will not let you test ride the motorcycle do determine if it IS a good fit so the articles are entertaining at best. Since I am 6'1" a ZX-9R is much more comfortable, in my opinion, than the 6R and it is closer in comparison price wise to the VFR. I never read about sizing the motorcycle to fit you, just complaints about the ergonomics and not many solutions. Seems like you would almost size the displacement/bike to fit the human, not the other way around.
DoktorNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 04:57 AM   #68
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: VTouR

Nothing like a full-boat, handles-like-a-bus, touring rig!

Brian

87 Cavalcade
Old 06-21-2001, 12:58 PM   #69
AzizaVFR
Founding Member

Chris,

The two-up riding we do ranges from just going from one place to another sedately, to full lean, marking the pavement with the footpegs.

I weigh about 185lbs. with full gear and my SO weights about 145lbs. with gear. I have the suspension set up with two lines showing on the front forks, and on preload 5 of 7 on the rear shock. It works very well for almost all riding experiences. Lately she has gotten so much better, allowing for carrying much more speed through the corners. This poses a problem for the stock shock.

I have two choices: Try raising the rear preload up to 6 or 7, or pop for the Ohlins with the +1 rear spring. If I go that route, the goal is to have it stiff enough for me with no additional preload dialed in. When she goes riding with me, all it will take is a quick twist of the hydraulic preload adjuster to set it correctly. It is all just a matter of expendable income, but she is worth it.

I still want to take her to a track day and to a two-up course. If anyone knows of one, let me know.

Enjoy,

Randal

AzizaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 05:35 PM   #70
dominatr37
Founding Member

Good article, but I think you guys missed the boat. you should have had a VFR Vs. a YZF600R. There're so many similarities between the two bikes (Including seating position) that's it's really almost sick. I have several friends who ride VFR's and I (As well as 4 other members of our riding group.) have YZF600's Mine is a 98 YZF 600 I've had since it was hatched, and after riding their VFR's and them riding my YZF, well we are just surprised how similar they are. I know I've done several 600 mile days on the YZF without a problem.
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote