Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-18-2001, 11:17 AM   #51
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re: Inline-four vs. V-four Sport Touring

das, I forgot to mention that I also get sore knees on the VFR. I have thought about lowering the pegs as well. Floor boards probably don't cut it. I think my body is telling me I need a bagger.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2001, 11:34 AM   #52
CBR1000F
Founding Member

BBD,

If you CAN explain it with gears, I'd be interested in hearing it. I was thinking (as I posted earlier) that the 10.2 lb/ft of torque at 1500 rpm lower advantage that the VFR has over the 6R would've made up for the difference in weight.
Old 06-18-2001, 02:11 PM   #53
searcher
Founding Member

Default Rider comfort

Great article! The 600-class bikes have a reputation of being do-everything bikes, and it is nice to know that this reputation is well-deserved.

This weekend I took demo rides on the VFR and on the CBR-600F4i (which should be similar to ZX-6R). The bikes are closer than I would have guessed, although they have their own personality. I liked both bikes, and paying the $1200 premium for the VFR is not easy to justify if not for the following.

While I found the VFR riding position very comfortable, my wrists were a little tired after a ride on the CBR. Also, it seems that side- and back-wards visibility is better on the VFR. I am used to standard bikes, and I wonder if these problems will disappear after I get more experience on the CBR, or is that what the article means when it says that the VFR has the obvious touring edge.

Again, it was nice to see an article that compares motorcycles based on what they really are and not what marketing managers want us to think they are.

searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 03:26 PM   #54
LoPhatHam
Founding Member

Default sobe.adrenilinerush.makesuhorny2.com

This has nothing to do with the content of your post, Flounder--quit your whining and be a man, dammit. Rather, your email address brings up a question about Sobe Adreniline Rush (Red Bull ripoff). The text on the can says: "Get it up. Keep it up. Any questions?" Yeah, I've got a question: assuming this stuff really does give me wood, which actually might be the case, does that mean I can ride faster? Or does that mean I ride slower. Maybe you can answer that question, Flounder, since MO gives you wood, thus indicating you get wood rather easily and must often ride with a stiffie.

One side note: I don't know if having a boner makes me ride faster, but I know when I'm sporting a pup tent my riding buddies generally pick up the pace a bit.
LoPhatHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 06:08 PM   #55
GreyOne
Registered Member

Personally I'm waiting for the FJ1300 before I make another switch. I saw the FZ1 at the bike show and was impressed with the way the bike looked - better than the pictures.
GreyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 06:19 PM   #56
GreyOne
Registered Member

I would give my right arm to have the time to put in your mileage - I do about half. Most of the riding close to here in is of the hilly twisty kind to Nakusp, Whistler or Mt. Baker. It suits a smaller, lighter bike like the VFR, FZ1 or Bandit 1200 that combine comfort (VFR for me) with reasonable power and handling. I should try the Sprint but expect to stay put until the FJ1300is available in Canada. I would like to check out the English mags and see what they think of the new Yamaha.
GreyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 07:08 PM   #57
drwarr
Founding Member

Default Re: Are these bikes really suitable for long trips?

Maybe I should have asked would you want to?

Have you, lately?

These guys obviously haven't. This Emagazine claims that these bikes are adequate for sport touring after riding them a few hundred miles in one (1) day, under clear skys, ideal conditions.

Sorry, but no credibility with me.
drwarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 08:10 PM   #58
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Are these bikes really suitable for long trips?

Correction, drwarr,

We've spent _thousands_ of miles with these bikes. The story simply relates one of many rides we've taken with both bikes as a means of illustrating various points about each machine. And even if we had just done this one ride -- which we didn't -- I must ask: have you ever done the loop we speak of? Hardly ideal conditions at any time of year. And in this one ride we went from 110 degrees in the desert to snow at the tops of the mountains. Hardly ideal -- except for testing in a variety of conditions, of course.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 01:22 AM   #59
Keithf
Registered Member

Believe it or not - all that mileage is weekend stuff with a few long weekends thrown in. Unfortunately, it means that I put in an ungodly amount of hours during the week at work. The big bonus, however, is that I'm single and don't have to look after children or such which would really cut in to the riding time.
Keithf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 08:54 AM   #60
AzizaVFR
Founding Member

There is a bike out there for everyone. One thing the VFR has going for it, is a very loyale customer base. Honda does not advertise or do any special promotions for the VFR, but it is one of its best overall selling models. There is a reason: It is that good.

I have a 1998 VFR800, and I really enjoy every minute I spend on it. I have have spend over 700 miles on it in one 24-hour period, and wanting more at the end of the ride.

There was one mention in this list that it does not do well two-up. I would say that is completely wrong. I really taking my significant other with me on my rides. She really enjoys riding with me. I know the VFR handles just a little slower with her weight on the back, but it is not a hindering factor. I am still looking for a track school that allows two-up riding. She wants to learn to go faster.

If you have any doubt how this bike handles two-up, take one of Reg Pridmore's classes and go for a ride with him on the back of his VFR. It will definitely open your eyes to the possibilities.

Enjoy,

Randal
AzizaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote