Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-17-2001, 06:00 PM   #41
zxguy
Founding Member

Default Re: Inline-four vs. V-four Sport Touring

This comparo makes a lot of sense. The ZX6 and 9 are often referred to as the sport-tourerÂ’s in sports bike circles. I always been curious to see how they'd go against a sport-tourer in the real world.

A track session with some times would also have been quite informative too. That way you can see what your sacrificing for the extra comfort.

How about a comparo with track, sport road & touring with a broad sample of bikes? Say SV650, GSX1300R, R1, VFR800, Bandit 1200, R1100s, a 600... more a sample of different sections of motorcycling rather than different manufactures in one segment. That may open a few eyes!

I know it's a big ask but well worth a look.

zxguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2001, 12:42 AM   #42
theDuke2001
Founding Member

Default Re: VTouR

Heck, people have ridden cross country on Harley Sportsters with 2 gallon tanks. Complaining about 125 mile range is akin to calling a 600 cc race replica a comfortable touring bike in the first place.

We each have our own ideas of the ideal motorcycle ride. My own personal idea of hell is riding an overweight touring rig for miles on end on interstate highways, which is where the fuel range issue really comes to light. I don't plan to ride anywhere that I can't find gas at least every couple of hours. I've ridden in some pretty remote places (including on a Sportster with a peanut tank) and have never ran out of gas because of lack of availability. On the other hand, if you like riding across time zones, I doubt you'd be looking at one of these bikes anyway.
theDuke2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 03:33 AM   #43
VFRJunkie
Founding Member

I currently have the 98 VFR, but the FZ1 just as you described is the first bike I've seen in along time that has me thinking about something different. The only thing the VFR doesn't do well is 2 up riding for more than a 100mi or so.

I'd love to see a VFR vs. FZ1 real world comparision just like this one.
VFRJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 03:52 AM   #44
Haru
Founding Member

NOW we're talking!!! I had put MO on the same shelf as all the other magazines. They all ride the same bikes over and over again, say the same things about them, and not answering a LOT of questions that a lot of riders want to know that have nothing to do with being at the absolute cutting edge of performance.

I had often wondered what would be the Best all rounder bike, VFR or ZX-6R. They approach the same ground from different directions, but do they really converge? Is the VFR sporty enough? is the ZX-6R friendly and forgiving enough?

I was certain that no mag would try to answer that question because these are not GSXRs and YZF-Rs, and magazines almost NEVER compare bikes that don't belong in the same class. After all, the assumption is that people know the kind of bike they want, and its really on which one.

This is the VERy first piece I have seen that acknowledges that people cross shop bike types. For me, it was VFR, R1, or ZX-12R. Hugely different bikes. I am not interested in the niggling difference between the R1 and the GSXR, or the ZX12 and the Hayabusa. I have already identified the bikes I want within each class. The thing that I have trouble with is figuring out where I get the optimum balance of performance and usefulness. yeah, I know the 12 is the fastest, the R1 is the best handling, the VFR is the most useful. But what I don't know is how the various degrees of competence of each bike stacks up against the others.

Here we have, finally, a test that is not restricted by the traditional class boundaries. It doesn't matter that one is a 600 the other an 800. What matters is that both are superb machines that should be cross shopped by anybody looking for a good allrounder.

I hate the hegemony of engine size based classes. There is no reason I shouldn't be curious about how a ZX-6 compares with a VFR800, or a ZX9 with a hayabusa (why must the last be compared only with the ZX-12?). Yes, in the past, different sized bikes have been compared. But those comparisons are usually bike-of-the-year type, or they check out hardcore sportbikes on the track. This VFR vs ZX is a rare work, and I encourage MO to keep its likes coming.

I have quit reading the paper magazines because they are of very little use to me. MO seemed to be heading in the same direction. But now it seems not.

Oh, I just realized how long this is. Sorry.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 04:21 AM   #45
hdpetey
Founding Member

Different strokes for different strokes, I guess. I bought a 99 VFR after being a Shovelhead guy my entire life. At 6'3 I find the VFR uncomfortable on rides over 100 miles, let alone 600 mi days. I installed Gen Mar risers this year, which helps my wrists. But I still get a sore neck from, what still feels to me, like a crunched over riding position. I still like my VFR, but it is becomming less of a sport Tourer than I planned. I think a Bagger is in my near future.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 05:01 AM   #46
VFRTed
Founding Member

Interesting, at 6'3, 200 lbs I have done 300 miles PLUS a track day in the same day, and 500+ miles in one day, with very little discomfort. Of course, for someone who would consider a cruiser or real tourer, the sporty position of a VFR800 might be uncomfortable. I know I couldn't handle the buzzy feel of an I-4 for 500 miles. Just my $.02

Ted Wilke (vfrted)

98 VFR800
VFRTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 05:51 AM   #47
das
Founding Member

Default Re: VFR Brakes

Minime,

I own a '96 VFR, and I've been very happy with the brakes. That may just be my particular unit, though. When I went to CLASS, the guy doing the tech inspections was amazed when he looked and saw that I didn't have steel-braided lines, and specifically asked what I had done to the brakes. He said he'd never felt an unmodified VFR with brakes that good before. The brakes are bone stock (except pads), though. I'm not complaining.

At any rate, I've been mulling over the idea of getting new bike, and the new VFR is certainly an option. Good to hear you say that there may (or may not... wink wink) be an updated Viffer coming soon. Given the recent interest in big-power standards, hopefully they'll give the old girl a HP boost and/or a moderate-sized weight loss. An extra 20HP and a 30-50lbs diet would make this bike much more competitive, and keep the sport-touring emphasis on sport (as it should be).

I've only put braided lines on one bike, a well-used 84 Ninja 900, and the difference was amazing. The brakes have almost too much initial bite. Strong as an ox, too, just not progressive enough. Do you think a switch to stainless steel braided lines would help the current VFR, as a cheaper alternative to the "larger rotors" fix?

Also, has anyone ever tried putting 929 rotors on a VFR? Do they just bolt on, or are modifications required?
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 05:56 AM   #48
hdpetey
Founding Member

We are exactly the same size. I think my discomfort results from my experience of riding more upright. The biggest problem I have is neck pain. I am going to look at larger wind screens.

If you don't like the buzzy feel you definately want to avoid a 4 speed Shovel (aka Troublehead). However, your girlfriend/wife may love it

hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 06:49 AM   #49
das
Founding Member

Hmmm... sore neck? That's odd. Have you tried a lighter and/or more aerodynamic helmet?

I guess it's all relative. I'm 6'2" and about 200lbs. I rode my '96 VFR (with Heli bars) on a 3-week tour a few years ago, including several long 300+ mile days (no interstates), and my only complaint is with leg room (specifically the seat-to-peg distance). My knees get sore after a while. Other than that, I find it very comfortable.

If only Heli and/or Gen Mar would make footpeg lowerers in addition to handlebar raisers, I'd be all set. The '96 VFR has long footpeg feelers on it; you could lower the pegs about an inch without sacrificing any ground clearance at the peg. I've thought about getting a thicker seat, but then you start detracting from the benefit of the raised handlebars.

C'est la vie. Maybe someday someone will make a sportbike designed to fit people over 6'0". Anyone else want to see MO do a ZX-9R vs. FZ-1 comparison?
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 09:22 AM   #50
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Any chance you might post more technical data? What I am after is speed in gears for each of them. I wanna see if I can explain the acceleration thing y'all described. Hint: I don't think weight explains it.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote