Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-15-2001, 06:02 PM   #21
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: Inline-four vs. V-four Sport Touring

Oh, and how about a bike of the year comparo? Take the winners from different categories and pit them against each other. But don't do the usual track, canyon, dragstrip thing. Take them to Laguna Seca or some other far-flung destination where you have enough real-world saddle time to make good judgments. It's not first impressions that make a bike. I want a bike that INFECTS me. Slowly getting under my skin until my every though is of riding. That's hard to write about I'm sure. People always want numbers and facts to compare. I like that too, but don't forget the EXPERIENCE.. That's what riding is all about for me...
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2001, 07:03 PM   #22
hackfu
Founding Member

Yes, the fuel tanks of both machines accept standard magnetic tankbags. We specifically didn't include any information in regards to saddlebags due to the sheer number of variety available. However, the Wolfman Hi-pipe saddlebags we reviewed a few weeks ago fit both models well. When fully loaded (again, my idea of fully loaded will probably be very different from yours. Some people insist on putting 20 pounds of gear in each bag. ack.) either machine will exhibit a tendency to stay upright. That is, there is more resistance to initial turn-in. Also, high speed stints are more bothersome, as the bike is affected by wind. I noticed this on both bikes, but moreso on the Kawi. I hope that helps!
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 07:44 PM   #23
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

1. Bravo for having a creative test idea. Bonus points for having it be a real-world consideration.

2. Fuel injection is coming on a wide scale, inevitably, and we'll be better off because of it. Yeah, it's more expensive and more complicated, but the benefits are undeniable, provided the system is dialed in correctly.

3. Has anyone come out with a kit to de-link the VFR's brakes? Even if it involves an completely revised setup, from levers to calipers, there's got to be a market for it. (Erion Racing, are you listening?)

4. It's still a little startling to realize just how phenomenally capable and usable 600-class bikes are at this point. How do they keep getting better?

5. Is list-making a sign of a neurosis, or a way to battle against one?
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 08:23 PM   #24
drwarr
Founding Member

Default Re: Are these bikes really suitable for long trips?

OK, can you put a week's worth of gear in those soft bags? Can you ride these bikes 10 hours/day for 9 days in a row?
drwarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 08:50 PM   #25
GreyOne
Registered Member

Having owned and put many miles on an ST1100, a YZF600 and 2 VFRs I greatly appreciated the article. The YZF would be similar to the 6R with a few less HP but similar torque up to 10,000 RPM. The 600 was comfortable, lighter and less expensive to insure and fell short of the VFR mainly when riding 2 up. I found the passenger seating and grips to be much better. The ST1100 and a RT1100 I tried both had an upright position that suited me less than the VFR and they did not provide the extended RPM range that makes the 600s and VFR such a blast to ride. Good article - I like surprises - keep it up.
GreyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 10:44 PM   #26
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Give us MORE

This comparo was nice... and VERY unexpected. I guess you guys hit the right spot by trying to compare bikes that fit the the sport bill but are not too radical and can be taken for a longish trip.

The thing is we'd like to see more.

Why not pick out a Ducati 900SS, a Triumph Daytona or a Sprint RS, that red VFR, an Aprilia Falco (SL1000, sorry) and any other bike that you can think of make this right for us, your avid readers.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 10:54 PM   #27
badsac
Founding Member

Default Re: Are these bikes really suitable for long trips?

That's a dumb question. Of course you can. You could do the same on a 996 as well if you were so inclined. What kind of answer were you expecting?
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 11:05 PM   #28
badsac
Founding Member

Good review MO. Keep em coming like that one.

Don't worry about all the people having a whinge either. You can't help it if they can't tell the difference between you guys and god.

badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 06:52 AM   #29
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: FZ-1 w/hard bags?

We'll be showing you a fully accessorized FZ-1 very soon. Meybe even with the bags!
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 09:03 AM   #30
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Great article. Last year I went to Laguna Seca on a 93 CBR600 F2 from Montana. I went with my brother who was on a 98 VFR800. I would imagine that the ergos on the Kawi and a F2 are somewhat similar. We did a 750 mile day coming back and boy did I wish I had the VFR! A little bit more comfortable becomes A LOT more comfortable the longer the ride.

And fuel injection is nice in altitude. Up in Montana the VFR would smoke my F2. Down at sea level in Cali it was a lot closer.

Now I am in Denver and am riding my F2 60 miles one way to work and thinking a VFR would be really nice.

As far as giving up some sportiness, I hear Freddie Spencer goes quite well on one.
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote