Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-15-2001, 12:21 PM   #11
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Default Re: Inline-four vs. V-four Sport Touring

You know, I'd read this comparo...in fact, I'd read a LOT of stuff on this site...but apparently your servers don't like me...

no matter WHAT it is...be it your home page or your reviews...I keep getting a 403 FORBIDDEN error anytime I try to access your files...any files that are on your http://www.motorcycle.com domain are inaccessible to me!

I can get into news.motorcycle.com just fine, but I'm having NO luck getting into the www.motorcycle.com part...

Yes, I've tried doing this in both IE5 and Netscape Communicator 4.77 and no luck...yes, I have cookies turned on...did I offend the MO gods? Minime! I SWEAR!!! I DIDN'T MEAN IT!

Help please, guys!
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2001, 12:31 PM   #12
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Great comparo concept. A few additional pieces of information would be nice, however.

1) this costs money, but what the heck, I'll ask: track times? Not important per se, but it would be interesting.

2) The evil print competition has taken to measuring the bikes for reach, seat to footpeg distance, etc. This is cool.

3) I have been considering the impact of gearing and available RPM. to that end, I have made some graphs which show the force at the rear tire divided by total bike weight vs speed in each gear. The graphs are REALLY enlightening and would handily explain your subjective acceleration findings. To do this for these bikes, I need gearing data for each of them. Speed in gears would work, but it would be nicer to have Primary Ratios, each Gear's Ratio and the Final Gearing. Roadracing World publishes such stuff and it would be great if MO did too.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 01:56 PM   #13
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: FZ-1 w/hard bags?

Yamaha has allegedly begun development, and they're supposed to be available this fall...
Old 06-15-2001, 01:58 PM   #14
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Yeah... but I think the Aprilia Futura is like bagpipes... you either love it or hate it, there's no in-between... and personally I think it's uuuuuugly!
Old 06-15-2001, 02:03 PM   #15
CBR1000F
Founding Member

This was a GREAT article! This is the kind of comparison shopping that any non-squid does when looking for a new ride. Displacement? Engine configuration? Nahh.... just which bike fits the needs best.
Old 06-15-2001, 02:10 PM   #16
CBR1000F
Founding Member

You mentioned the horsepower difference as only 1.1 hp at peak... but you didn't mention that the VFR has a torque advantage of 10.2 lb/ft at peak, which occurs 1500 RPM's lower! I'd say that's a fairly significant difference, and I'd think that the extra torque would overcome the weight differential? Guess not... maybe it's gearing?
Old 06-15-2001, 04:11 PM   #17
theDuke2001
Founding Member

Default VFR v. ZX6R

Ummm, doesn't the VFR cost a lot more than the Kawi? You don't mention prices in your article. On the other hand, the local Honda dealer is selling brand new VTR-1000's for $6,900. Add a set of heli-bars and some luggage with the cost savings... hmmm.

I continue to be amazed at how our expectations for comfort have changed. Not even a decade ago, a bike like the ZX6 would have been considered to have an extreme riding position. Now you claim it's a great ride for 600 mile days?
theDuke2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 04:21 PM   #18
Knightrider
Founding Member

I agree, totally enjoyed this comparison. It is a concept that I have always wondered about, how differant are the differant types of bikes in the real world. As someone who is shopping for a new bike, reviews like this will help me nail down a winner for me.
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 05:26 PM   #19
Tomslick
Registered Member

Great Article!!!

I am finding myself in a similar dilemma.

Currently I have an F4 and would like to have something a little more comfortable for the 600 mile ride to Daytona (each way). I'm looking hard at the FZ1. The stats look great for the Yamaha but I want to know how much twisty road fun I'll be missing?

This was a cool comparo. Keep them coming!!!

Hey how about an F4 and FZ1 comparison.
Tomslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 05:56 PM   #20
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

FINALLY!!! I've been complaining to anyone who will listen for over a year about this problem. If you compare bikes that fit the EXACT same category, you will start splitting hairs. Example: praising a 600 for it's midrange.. But compare it to a 1000cc sportbike? What midrange? I'm looking at EVERYTHING out there in the sport and sport-touring category when I buy a bike. From FZR400's (remember those) to Bandit 1200's to Buell X1's to YZf-R1's. EVERYTHING.. I WANT to see apples and oranges compared, it's how I can decide what displacment/engine config I want to try. Keep 'em coming.
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote