Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Road Star Warrior Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/674-road-star-warrior-reader-feedback.html)

fazerO 06-13-2001 03:55 PM

Re: Road Star Warrior Reader Feedback

Its great to see the cruiser market becoming a little more sporting oriented. It's too bad it still weighs about the same as a small truck. Can't wait to see the comparos that come out.

Patrick-of-the-Hills 06-13-2001 04:18 PM

1. I wonder if this is somehow intended to be the V-Max replacement, or if it's a place-keeper between drag-bike models.

2. Are exhaust pipes the new frontier of "Mine's bigger!" phallic games?

3. Honda showed a perfectly thrilling hotrod cruiser concept a few years back with an inline-four motor. Will the market ever nod at something other than (yawn) another V-Twin?

4. Big nasty mofos like this are good attention-grabbers in the market, but I'm still wondering if we'll ever see the Euro-market Fazer 600 or any other midsize sporty-ish standard from Yamaha anytime soon.

buzzdsm 06-13-2001 04:21 PM

There is something about the frontend that I don't like but the rest of the bike looks good. These are the cruisers of the future. I like what the foreign companies are doing with the new bikes (moving away from Harley clones)

springerman 06-13-2001 04:24 PM

Not that I am a big fan, but I think that yamaha would be a hel! of a lot better off if they spent there time on a new V-MAX, never owned one but from what I have read, I would guess that the Max would eat this thing for breakfast. I also know that loyal Yammie riders have been asking for a new Max for years. It seems to me that insted of giving there customers what they relly want, Yamaha would rather make shure that Honda dosent sell the VTX with no compitition.

Just mho

minime 06-13-2001 05:16 PM

All these comparisons to Yamaha's own V-Max are interesting. It should be added that the V-Max is still going to be sold this year and has not been dropped from Yamaha's product line.

CBR1000F 06-13-2001 05:44 PM

1. Probably neither a place keeper nor a V-Max replacement... they don't sell to the same crowd.

2. NEW Frontier?! Where have you been?

3. The market doesn't seem to want cruisers with 4 cylinders, whatever the configuration.

4. Yeah! bring on the Fazer 600! :)

MC 06-13-2001 05:44 PM

Well, for that weight, and price, I think I'd be leaning towards the VTX. I mean, it sure is nice of Yamaha to serve up a warmed-over air-cooled cruiser twin, toss on a big ol' honkin sportbike-looking muffler and call it a performance crusier...

The real shocker here though is the $12k(!!) USD price. Does that seem pretty high to anyone else? I guess that extra front disc and the rare-earth magnet flywheel cost a lot eh? I guess they just charge whatever the market will pay. R1 derived this, R1 derived that... for christ's sake, an R1 only sells for a tick over $10k.

Ok, so I'll never buy one myself, but it does look like a neat bike that I wouldn't mind taking for a spin sometime.

Gabe 06-13-2001 05:49 PM

Is Jimmy Carter president?

'Cuz a 600-pound, 90 HP bike sounds like 1980 to me. (CBX, GS1000) Why is it that Confederate, a small start-up with limited resources, can design a 120-HP, 500 pound cruiser, (http://www.confederate.com/thebikes.htm)

when a company like Yamaha expects us to wet our pants at something two guys in a garage could do with a stock Harley and $5k in performance parts? Granted, this thing does look pretty cool (love the exhaust!), but it doesn't truly break any new ground, and I think Yamaha has another loser cruiser on their hands.

Gabe 06-13-2001 05:56 PM

Sometimes a muffler is just a muffler...

But Freud aside, I think a large V-twin with a single muffler needs an enourmous muffler to keep the EPA happy- look at the RSV Mille, and that's just 1000 cc!

BammBamm 06-13-2001 06:13 PM

Can't wait to get a novelty helmet and go for a ride. Hope there aren't any turns in the road. It's a real shame that with all the talent they have at Yamaha, they build something like this.

MC 06-13-2001 06:17 PM

5,800 RPM? I think my old Buick used to rev that high... heh heh heh :)

boxjoint 06-13-2001 07:17 PM

Although I really like the styling of this "new" cruiser, I think that the good ol' boys and gals at Yamaha screwed up big time for 2002. Don't get me wrong, the new Warrior seems like a fresh new interpretation on a stock cruiser but they seem determined to ignore the USA when we specifically ask for a product. For years now we have asked for an update to the V-Max and sorry Yamaha, this is not it. And with a bike like the VTX coming out woulden't you agree that steering clear from the cruiser market (from a manufacturers point of view) for a year or two would be wise?

And for anybody who reads the reader feedback sections on MO knows how much trouble some have went through to get the FJ1300 stateside which also, did not happen. Yamaha would not even have to spend on engineering or revisions to the FJ, just bring it here. I was going to get a 2001 bandit 1200s last year until I heard about the FJ1300 and decided to wait. Well now I will have more money to put down on a 2002 bandit.

To end on a good note, Yamaha definately got their 2002 Grizzly ATV perfect. If anything good came out of 2002 from Yamaha that is it.

PS. sorry for the winded response, just had to get my frustrations out over the FJ!

minime 06-13-2001 07:44 PM

Yamaha's ATV line is impressive this year. We'll have details on the entire product line next week.

starvingstudent 06-13-2001 08:03 PM

Criticisms and questions

One point: why would someone looking for a lighter-weight, good-handling cruiser (aluminum frame) want a 1700cc pushrod behemoth with a 65+ inch wheelbase? Yamaha screwed up. They should have mated that dandy aluminum frame to a standard-cruiser (think HD Sportster, or better yet, Sportster Sport) with a sit-up seating position and a 60 inch wheelbase. THAT would have made sense. People looking at these big beasts want engine and engine alone, and the VTX supplies that better.

Speaking of standard-cruisers, has anyone else heard rumors of Kawasaki having a Sportster clone in 2002? motorcyclenews.com had a brief blurb a week or so ago, but I haven't heard anything else. Anybody care to make my day by providing details (especially if that person is a MO employee--hint hint)?

minime 06-13-2001 08:34 PM

Re: Criticisms and questions

Officially, we can't either confirm nor deny anything you have mentioned. So just sit still and stay tuned until later in the year...

Spooner 06-14-2001 12:33 AM

After looking over the 2002 Yamaha's, it's the V-Star 650 Silverado that gets my wife and I excited. The price is very reasonable (as compaired to pricing some of their other products up to whatever the market will tolerate). The Silverado is a total package. Ready for two working class people to ride and enjoy. I believe Yamaha is listening to it's customers, they simply can't please all of them all the time. The bikes each one of you are waiting for from Yamaha are comming eventually...

pluscard 06-14-2001 01:51 AM

I have owned a 2001 Roadstar for the last 30 days. Got it just in time to ride it to bike week in Myrtle Beach, SC. I've put over 2000 miles on it the first month.

I bought it because it looks, sounds and rides great. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. I never trailer anywhere - I ride even in the rain if I have to. I added a windshield, backrest (2 up a lot), and saddlebags.

Now, the roadstar is plenty gutsy - but it just doesn't rev up. My only critism is for 1602CC: you would think they would at least make it outrun most HD models - but it doesn't.

But I didn't buy it to go fast - I bought it because it makes ordinary roads interesting. I've not had a ticket in 6 years - (but I have had my share including 129 in a 55).

So the roadstar warrior is an interesting upgrade to the popular roadstar line. Add some power, shave some weight - can't hurt. I'm just not sure about that bike sportbike muffler - if it were mine it would have to go.

plus

Carlton 06-14-2001 02:31 AM

Mr. Minime, care to confirm or deny this totally unrelated to the Road Star report? Heh heh...

"My local dealer informed me yesterday that a Yamaha representative at the show revealed that the FJR 1300 was indeed coming to the US. The reason it was not at the show nor on the web site is because it is pending EPA approval. It will be at the show in October and in US showrooms in the spring. My dealer then accepted my deposit for one. Thanks for the great site, I'm certain it helped Yamaha decide to import the FJR 1300."

The FJR Petition dude

http://www.geocities.com/revin_rev/

old_school 06-14-2001 02:39 AM

We have been exposed, it has taken me quite some time to figure out that we are a nation of Sunday poseurs. The factories are way ahead of me. The Warrior is a tasty piece, just nowhere the daily rider the bulldog would be.

This bike is just what this market needs, and I won't be too surprised if my bandit gets traded in on one.

draz 06-14-2001 03:30 AM

I agree. Come on Yamaha, give us a new V-max. And if it looks like the MT-01 that's even better. Create a bike that will crush the Ducati Monster in performance and look distinctive without being too over the top. That will sell.

uncleron 06-14-2001 03:37 AM

I think this might be a great bike. If Yamaha and Honda can build 100hp cruisers; and Buell can get 100hp out of a Sportster engine, and put it in a frame that handles; Where's Harley? It is not difficult to get this kind of power out of a Harley motor, and HD has plenty of money they could spend on r&d. It is kind of ironic that after years of the Japanese big four copying Harley's designs, Harley is now the one who must catch up to Yamaha and Honda. I would much sooner buy this type of bike than a Heritage, Fat Boy, or similar. I would like to have a big cruiser, but since my other bike is a Hayabusa, I don't think I could put up with a 600+lb bike that barely makes 60hp. I hope we see more of these performance cruisers on the market soon.

Patrick-of-the-Hills 06-14-2001 03:53 AM

Harley has no real need to enter the showroom-stock musclebike arena, for two important reasons: First, a big snorting brute isn't really in the Company's "all-American open-road nostalga cruise" mentality (witness the Heritage Springer and the brochures that look like Ralph Lauren catalogs, and remember the relative failure of the genuinely evil-looking Bad Boy); second, why bother putting all the hot parts on at the factory when you can sell them later, via Screaming Eagle, and gather in that much more profit?

Besides, you're probably the first Hayabusa owner to ever confess a possible interest in the Motor Company's products.

heyjd 06-14-2001 04:05 AM

I agree with you... they may be coming out with more power but they are still missing the boat on weight, ground clearance, braking and maybe a shorter wheel base. I own a 94 magna that puts out a modest 75-80 rear wheel hp, but does alright due to its comparable weight in the cruiser market: 505 lbs dry. Previously, I owned a 1985 Eliminator 900 (530 lbs-good for a 3 second 0-60mph) that sported their Ninja 900 engine. Both bikes are 4 cylinders for sure but if the Japanese manufacturers are dead set on v-twins why not develop their Suzuki TL1000 or Honda VT1000 into light weight performance cruisers? Just wondering....

dickdastardly 06-14-2001 04:32 AM

As a former V-Max owner, I'd like a new v-max,

but I really like the looks of this thing.

It looks pretty much like I was hoping the

new v-max would, and I like twins too.

Much more to my liking than the VTX1800,

at least in pictures. The VTX looks kind

of cheap in person, hopefully the Warrior

(stupid name though) will hold up better

under closer view.

dickdastardly 06-14-2001 04:37 AM

An HD power cruser is coming, probably a water

cooled four valve motor developed in conjunction

with Porsche. That development mule

in a recent Cycle world or Motorcyclist issue

is probably way off on everything but the basic engine.

mofo 06-14-2001 05:25 AM

fu- fu- fu- fu- fu-

FUGLY!

uncleron 06-14-2001 05:33 AM

I've actually run in to other Hayabusa riders outside the local Harley dealer. I used to ride an Ironhead XLCH, Harley does currently have a real performance oriented model anymore. The Sportster Sport would be a great bike if they would just free up the engine. As I said Buell can easily get 100hp out of that motor. Harley owns Buell, so it should not be difficult to get closer to 100hp out of a stock Sportster. HD can still make lots of money on chrome and t-shirts, I'd bet they sell alot more of that stuff than the Screamin' Eagle parts. I think the Warrior is a more desirable stock bike than Harley's current offerings. A performance cruiser might not take sales away from a Heritage, but it could bring some new riders into Harley dealers or bring back some who have left (not that HD needs additional business). There is obviously a market for performance oriented cruisers, just look at the Harley aftermarket. Maybe bikes like the Warrior will raise the quality of the Japanese cruiser aftermarket, so that riders can get more than just bolt-on chrome.

das 06-14-2001 05:44 AM

Now *that* is something I don't need from MO. More effort on motorcycles and motorcycle-related things, less effort on ATVs and scooters, please.

Just my opinion.

Rafi 06-14-2001 05:51 AM

Re: Where's the new R1???

Okay, MO, you guys really screwed up now!

Where is the $%&@! information about the 2002 R1! We *know* you know something that you're not sharing! I've been checking day and night since Monday for some new R1 info and you give me this? I've already read about this beast on 3 different sites, including Yamaha's own website! Screw that!

ohhseven 06-14-2001 06:02 AM

sport oriented cruiser market..

Well it's funny reading this article where they go on sounding so happy about finally introducing a 'sport-oriented' cruiser as though it's never happened before...

Made me laugh to hear them get excited about inverted forks, (Valk has'em) full-floaters (Valk uses the same brakes as a CBR and if I remember right was the fastest stopping bike, and currently is second fastest!!!) Hi-reving motor.. Hmm I don't think the Valk revs hi but it still blows 5800 outta the water!

Hello, anyone seen a Valkyrie before? You can dust the likes of ST1100's and other bikes of that nature with one.

Ever notice that there are never any comparos of others cruisers to a Valkyrie? That's because there isn't a comparison! It's about time that manufacturers are coming out with something that might be competition for the Valk. Of course as soon as the new Valkyrie comes out it will be game over once again. Sorry about their luck!

Mick.

fast4ward 06-14-2001 06:03 AM

Well that's just great! Another stupid jap-crap cruiser that nobody wants to buy, and inevitably ends up as an interuption to race coverage on speedvision (only they call them commercials) as they try to clear out the backlog of unsold units. I just don't get it - speedvision and others are flooded with ads offering all sorts of incentives to induce someone to buy their crappy cruisers, so they obviously cannot sell them. So lets make some more! Good move, Yamaha.

das 06-14-2001 06:10 AM

Re: Road Star Warrior Horsepower Math

Hmmm... I'm confused. The news article says something about the Warrior having near 100hp. But the article says that it has 40% more power than a Road Star.

Per MO's dyno chart at http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...00yhddyno.html

the Road Star makes a significantly-less-than-whopping 55.4 hp.

Unless my brain and my calculator are both broken, a 40% increase over 55.4 is nowhere close to 100. My calculator says 55.4hp + (40% x 55.4hp) = 77.56hp. What gives?

All this performance hype over a 77hp, 600lbs bike? A stiff tailwind would account for a 40% increase in power for a Road Star, fer cryin' out loud.

Now, if it were 40% up on torque, that would be more impressive. The Road Star dyno shows 86.8lbs-ft, and 40% more would be 121.52lbs-ft. That might be worth going on about.

Fugaziiv 06-14-2001 06:20 AM

if I had to choose, VTX or Warrior, I'd have to cast my vote VTX, it just looks like a bad assed cruiser, and I think Yamaha missed that somewhere...

minime 06-14-2001 06:33 AM

Re: Where

Yamaha has not shown nor officially released _anything_ on the '02 R1. Sit tight, eh? You'll get it when we do.

RRocket 06-14-2001 07:16 AM

Re: Is Jimmy Carter president?

You forgot to tell us that the Confederate is hideously ugly....and what about price??

ACE1100rider 06-14-2001 07:28 AM

Are you serious?

Maybe you haven't heard, but just about every motorcycle manufacturer has had a record sales year.

Perhaps the people who buy metric cruisers are smart consumers....they shop for a good deal instead of getting on a waiting list for two years, waiting to pay whatever the dealer tells them to pay for the privilege of owning a certain brand of cruiser.

Maybe they don't care about the "experience". The experience of riding motorcycles is more fun than hanging out with any fraternity of leather-clad wannabes.

Maybe they want to buy the bike they see on the dealer's floor, and ride it out the next day instead of "assuming the position" in front of the dealer to try and move up on "the list".

The Warrior has a cool style...hope it does well. Will I buy it? Probably not, but let's look at reality here!

And FYI, I own metric and domestic bikes.

ACE1100rider 06-14-2001 07:33 AM

Wonder if the hardcore H-D fans will balk at a "German" engine in their next hog?

ACE1100rider 06-14-2001 07:37 AM

This is absolutely speculation on my part, but just imagine the next Honda Valkyrie with that aluminum frame from the GoldWing and the 1800cc engine.

Now that's a power cruiser that will handle!

Have a feeling that '02 will be the year for that. Doesn't make sense to build two different 6-cyl. engines.

El_Flaco 06-14-2001 08:36 AM

Congrats!

Good job, MO!

Good timing on the coverage. You have reported this story faster and with better information and writing than any other bike website that I look at, including MCN. I hope this marks the beginning of a trend!

kcobb 06-14-2001 08:50 AM

Re: Sometimes a muffler is just a muffler...

Yeah, the Mille and this thing have the largest cans known to man. I would think most cruiser types would turn their nose up at the big single exhaust. They all like their dual straight shots.