Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-01-2001, 05:32 PM   #71
Beethoven
Founding Member

Default Re: sport oriented cruiser market..

Hmmm the Valkyrie will dust the ST1100? Yea sure - Every test I've read has the ST ahead in the quarter mile. The VTX beats both of them though. Seems like you're missing the main idea. A cruiser has two cylinders and sounds like a repeated vegetable. A Valkyrie sounds like a car (an ST sounds like a quieter car).

Dumb question though about the Warrior - where does your passenger put her feet? I like the idea of the performance cruiser but do we have to have outlandish style to make them sell? Harley has the right idea here - traditional style sells bikes. A Silverado with the new motor would be a super idea (except for those who have the old ones and can't sell them to get the new one). Seems to me like the sales department is trying to start a new type of cruiser the "Boulevard" cruiser (with its attendent lifestyle) to differentiate themselves from the standard cruiser and generate customers. IMHO a bike that is styled with balance and has performance too will always be a good seller. Look at the success of the twin cam Harleys. When are the touring versions of the VTX and Warrior coming out?
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2001, 04:08 PM   #72
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Rumor re: Speedvision

It may be worse than you think. Sources in the media are reputed to be certain that FOX has acquired Speedvision... and has plans to create a 24/7 NASCAR channel. Motorcycles will likely have no place or airtime in the new scheme of things. Rumors of petitions (to plead the two-wheeled case before the annointed FOX moguls) abound. NASCAR out draws the NFL in advertising dollars... and that, my unfettered bretheren, is a chilling reality.
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 08:34 AM   #73
Calhoon
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Star Warrior Reader Feedback

Why push rods?? Even Harley Davidson went to double overhead cams; I can't believe Yamaha's market research said that people would desire a push-rod engine.
Calhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 05:03 PM   #74
slowburner_1
Founding Member

I suspect that the Big 4 know the cruiser market a bit better than some of you give them credit for. The guys that make a purchasing decision based on raw numbers from a motorcycle magazine are buying R1s, Gixxers, etc., not cruisers. The pegs on your average Harley will never see pavement unless the bikes is crashed. It's a different riding style, a different motorcycle subculture, and a different market. Harley Davidson dominated the cruiser market for many years, and some would argue they still do, and they've done it with motors that don't necessarily produce pavement wrinkling horsepower. (Until the V-Rod.)

I like the styling of the Warrior. It looks like a cruiser you could ride with a *real* helmet. It looks fast standing still. Check out the 3-D Quicktime view at their website; especially the one with the accessories. It looks so good it'll make you want to slap your mother-in-law. http://www.yamahausa.com/products/pr...&lc=mcy&rdir=1
slowburner_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 09:08 AM   #75
gggmetal
Founding Member

the exhaust pictured is not the only exhaust offered from yamaha for the warrior, they offer the two full length chrome pipes that are placed much lower, as well as a full line of performance and custom products for the warrior..the chrome exhaust looks great to me,,,but i dont like the giant can at all....check out the yamaha home page,,if interested...
gggmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 04:56 PM   #76
gggmetal
Founding Member

Default Re: sport oriented cruiser market..

v twins are not high rev engines, they build torque and power at a much lower rpm than the valks 6, and sound much better, in my opinion. lower rpm means less stress on enternals and longer life. The entire star line of bikes is a complete different breed of bike than a valk..a close comparison would be a vmax, which blows the valk away...as far as performance goes..and i am sure once the stats are out, the 1670 cc yamaha warrior, will out perform the VTX..as does the harley VROD..and I hate to say that...finally a harley with and engine that the owners will want to leave in their bike!!!!do you think that will hurt s&s business????
Old 09-29-2001, 05:14 PM   #77
gggmetal
Founding Member

The v stars 650s are a great bike and very comfortable for cruising 65 mph and under with 2 people on them,,any faster and you have to push the bike and it feels like it is struggling. the 1100 is much more suited for 2 and is really needed if you live in any hills.. I live in Houston and it is flat!!!and the 650 has a hard time with my wife and I above 65 mph! By myself I have no complaints about the bike at all, 75 mph is very comfortable with my 200 lbs on it. The 650 gets better gas milage than the 1100,,by around 50 miles per tank.Good luck, Hope this helps
Old 04-03-2002, 11:54 AM   #78
wdesimone
Founding Member

That obviously means you haven't ridden the both of themm. I have had the pleasure and the Warrior is the FAR superior riding experience.
wdesimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 10:48 AM   #79
Hankmw1
Founding Member

I sold my sporster sport and bought a Warrior and so far I love it. After market pipes and intake soon. I think I'll throw on the small windsheild too.
Hankmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:47 AM   #80
Daimon1054
Founding Member

My warrior has aftermarket pipes different bars and power comander and I love it a great bike. If it is not you cup of tea don't buy it but don't knock it b/c you want a crotch rocket.
Daimon1054 is offline   Reply With Quote