Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-17-2001, 03:28 AM   #61
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Star Warrior Reader Feedback

ripoff or no, the VTX does look good.

I have no love nor distain for any kind or brand of bike, so long as I like the way it looks and feels.
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2001, 06:46 AM   #62
gatling
Founding Member

The Warrior is a step in the right direction, but I agree with many of the other posters...what's all the excitement about? Power? Handling? Looks? I just don't get it.

How about a comparo between this brand new "Warrior" and my 1982 CBX? Do a side-by-side on rear-wheel horsepower, acceleration, handling, and curb appeal. (Curb appeal? Yep, park the two side by side at any watering hole, like Newcomb's Ranch or the Rock Store, and see which bike draws the crowds!).

Nice try, Yamaha, but for $11K or $12K, to me it's "no cigar."

Joe Berk

http://www.jhberkandassociates.com/J...hotography.htm
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 09:08 AM   #63
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I didn't say NOBODY wanted them... just the market in general. I personally like both of those bikes, but I don't think the market'd support another V-4 cruiser.
Old 06-18-2001, 09:31 AM   #64
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Interesting.....

Considering that absolutely NOBODY bought the GTS 1000 I find it curious that there's such a demand for this bike. I wonder how many people who signed the petition will pony up the $14K+ for this fantastic machine.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 03:52 AM   #65
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Re: Only problem with the Valkyrie...

Oh, because it doesn't look like a V-twin FLGROAFHDS? That's what makes it beautiful. Oh, and you know that big, shiny thing under the gas tank? That's the engine, and it gets hot. You might not have recognized it because it's not some anemic twin. Don't put your legs on it and it won't hurt. I have highway pegs on mine, and have gone 500 mile days without getting burnt. You just need to recognize what gets hot and what doesn't. Helpful tip : the exhaust pipes get hot, too. Stay away from them.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 11:53 AM   #66
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Since they build Bonnie & Indian clones...

YES no doubt the Vulcan 800 engine churns out more power than a pure stock 883 (geez I hope so) but I've heard it and it's got one problem that's a HUMONGOUS one to the kinda people who buy these kinda bikes. It sounds just plain pathetic. The Sportster OTOH is to many people the MOST Harley-sounding of all the currently-produced Harley engines, the sexiest potato-potato of 'em all. The sound of a Sporty is pure heaven. And if you don't carry a passenger or anything else for that matter and like bugs in your teeth and lots of vibration, it's just ~$6K torture seat included (yeah right if you can find one for that).
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 08:30 AM   #67
Philbiker
Founding Member

GOtcha I just couldn't resist ribbin' ya. Hope you don't mind . Actually, the whole EPA thing can be pretty expensive, particularly for California emissions. And the market sure is competitive for this type of vehicle!
Old 06-21-2001, 08:33 AM   #68
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: Only problem with the Valkyrie...

Whatever you say, I (and a lot of the cruiser market) think that engine is downright FUGLY on the Valk. And no, not because it's not an "anemic twin". I happen to think that the V-Maxx V-four is beautiful, as are many of the new oilhead boxers (twins albeit not V-twins). I just think that Goldwing motor is ugly on the Valk.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:35 AM   #69
Philbiker
Founding Member

Yeah, too bad about the Kawasaki Eliminator, that's a darn cool 4 cylinder cruiser IMHO. The Royal Stars and Venture are friggin' beautiful with their bolt-on fin V-fours, but I'm not sure how they're selling.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:30 AM   #70
russ
Founding Member

I think that the Warrior concept is a move in generally the right direction, toward better performance from a cruiser-type motorcycle. However, there's a few things Yamaha could do to go further in that direction:

- Shorten the wheelbase. A 65 inch wheelbase means slow steering. A more sporting steering geometry would yield a better handling machine.

- Larger front brake rotors. Most sport bikes have larger rotors and weigh much less.

- Less weight.

- Tachometer is pretty goofy looking.

- Get the speedometer off the triple clamp. It's too low to enable a rider with a full-face helmet to glance at without moving your head. You can't glance at it, you have to look at it.

- Go to solid mounted, 3/4 inch handlebars vice the rubber mounted, 1 inch design.

- Go to a 5.5 or 6.0 gallon fuel capacity. The 4 gallon tank is clearly the worst characteristic of the design. Given the displacement and the likely mpg, the Warrior will have you looking for fuel before you get more than 160 miles from home.

Russ
russ is offline   Reply With Quote