Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-14-2001, 10:13 AM   #41
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Since they build Bonnie & Indian clones...

I don't doubt they might build a Sportster clone. Especially if it turns out that hype over the "real" Bonnie's return actually increases W650 sales. After all, it does have certain specs closer to the original. Wonder if they'll try to claim with a straight face (heh heh) that their Sporty clone is actually a copy of some old Kawasaki rather than what it obviously is?

Maybe if this trend catches on the Japanese car companies will get in on it too. With all the posers we have here in the US, I bet a Toyota Avalon that looks for all the world like a '57 BelAir would be a real hot seller!

There's one problem I can see with a Sportster clone though. One primary reason so many people buy Sporties is the humongous aftermarket nothing else can even come close to except maybe the big twin Harleys. Without that aftermarket support, stock Sportsters are under-equipped uncomfortable relics with rather unimpressive power for their large displacement. WITH that humongous aftermarket support, they are almost any personal expression you want to make be it hotrod, chrome monument, backroad tourer or whatever. To enjoy the same *degree* of success a Sportster clone would have to offer all that plus more to make up for not having the HD name on it. Good luck!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2001, 11:57 AM   #42
Rafi
Registered Member

Default Re: Where

Okay, , but you promised... :.(....
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 12:20 PM   #43
torresmr
Founding Member

Default Re: Congrats!

Speaking of MCN, IÂ’ve been trying to get on their page, but I donÂ’t seam to be able. I guess there must be something screwy with the routing.

Could you get in their page, get their contact e-mail, and set it to me so I can write them and find out if they have a mirror site, or any idea of how to solve my problem...?

My e-mail is: torresmr@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,

M.
torresmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 12:23 PM   #44
torresmr
Founding Member

Default Re: Criticisms and questions

Speaking of MCN, IÂ’ve been trying to get on their page, but I donÂ’t seam to be able. I guess there must be something screwy with the routing.

Could you get in their page, get their contact e-mail, and set it to me so I can write them and find out if they have a mirror site, or any idea of how to solve my problem...?

My e-mail is: torresmr@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,

M.
torresmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 02:05 PM   #45
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Congrats!

I know of another site or two that posted a single photo and a line of text or two about the bike before we did. I wanted to make sure we take an extra day to write a proper story and tell you all what's behind the bike instead of just saying, "here's some photos of the bike and it's really cool and weighs six hundred and something pounds."

Beginning of a trend? It's getting better. Keep watching...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 02:25 PM   #46
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Since they build Bonnie & Indian clones...

I really don't care if a bike is a copy of another so long as it is reliable and fun to ride.

If Kawasaki is smart, they would give the sportster clone good handling, a stiff frame, good suspension, and really make a sport-cruiser (not a muscle-cruiser but a genuine sport-cruiser). That would make up for the lack of aftermarket for me.

They also don't need as much aftermarket, as the Vulcan 800 engine is significantly more powerful than the 883, and (if they were smart) they might even tune it some more for the sportster clone.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 05:16 PM   #47
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Is Jimmy Carter president?

Look, I wasn't really comparing the two bikes, but let me tell you, as weird looking as the Confederate is (and it's no goofier than any other cruiser, BTW) that has got some MOTOR!!! It'll make the VTX look like a Volkswagon bus off the line, and has the chassis to apply it, unlike the Reagan-era double tube frame the Yamaha has. Yes, they are fantastically expensive, but still cheaper than customizing yourself, with that level of quality.

No, I was just pointing out that Yamaha should be able to do much better (and much cheaper) given their global resources and deep pockets.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 05:50 PM   #48
K12LTHardCore
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Star Warrior Reader Feedback

You'll soon have a third Deuce ripoff to choose from. I was at a conference at the Rancho Bernardo Inn in San Diego this week where Kaw debuted their new Vulcan 1500 "hot rod" code named "Mean Street". Looks very similar to the VTX.
K12LTHardCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 10:22 PM   #49
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Star Warrior Reader Feedback

That "mule" is the same one we had a story on months ago... And, yes, it's water-cooled.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 04:02 AM   #50
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Re: sport oriented cruiser market..

Hear hear!
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote