Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-14-2001, 07:03 AM   #31
fast4ward
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Star Warrior Reader Feedback

Well that's just great! Another stupid jap-crap cruiser that nobody wants to buy, and inevitably ends up as an interuption to race coverage on speedvision (only they call them commercials) as they try to clear out the backlog of unsold units. I just don't get it - speedvision and others are flooded with ads offering all sorts of incentives to induce someone to buy their crappy cruisers, so they obviously cannot sell them. So lets make some more! Good move, Yamaha.
fast4ward is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2001, 07:10 AM   #32
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Star Warrior Horsepower Math

Hmmm... I'm confused. The news article says something about the Warrior having near 100hp. But the article says that it has 40% more power than a Road Star.

Per MO's dyno chart at http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...00yhddyno.html

the Road Star makes a significantly-less-than-whopping 55.4 hp.

Unless my brain and my calculator are both broken, a 40% increase over 55.4 is nowhere close to 100. My calculator says 55.4hp + (40% x 55.4hp) = 77.56hp. What gives?

All this performance hype over a 77hp, 600lbs bike? A stiff tailwind would account for a 40% increase in power for a Road Star, fer cryin' out loud.

Now, if it were 40% up on torque, that would be more impressive. The Road Star dyno shows 86.8lbs-ft, and 40% more would be 121.52lbs-ft. That might be worth going on about.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 07:20 AM   #33
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

if I had to choose, VTX or Warrior, I'd have to cast my vote VTX, it just looks like a bad assed cruiser, and I think Yamaha missed that somewhere...
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 07:33 AM   #34
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Where

Yamaha has not shown nor officially released _anything_ on the '02 R1. Sit tight, eh? You'll get it when we do.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 08:16 AM   #35
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Is Jimmy Carter president?

You forgot to tell us that the Confederate is hideously ugly....and what about price??
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 08:28 AM   #36
ACE1100rider
Founding Member

Are you serious?

Maybe you haven't heard, but just about every motorcycle manufacturer has had a record sales year.

Perhaps the people who buy metric cruisers are smart consumers....they shop for a good deal instead of getting on a waiting list for two years, waiting to pay whatever the dealer tells them to pay for the privilege of owning a certain brand of cruiser.

Maybe they don't care about the "experience". The experience of riding motorcycles is more fun than hanging out with any fraternity of leather-clad wannabes.

Maybe they want to buy the bike they see on the dealer's floor, and ride it out the next day instead of "assuming the position" in front of the dealer to try and move up on "the list".

The Warrior has a cool style...hope it does well. Will I buy it? Probably not, but let's look at reality here!

And FYI, I own metric and domestic bikes.
ACE1100rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 08:33 AM   #37
ACE1100rider
Founding Member

Wonder if the hardcore H-D fans will balk at a "German" engine in their next hog?
Old 06-14-2001, 08:37 AM   #38
ACE1100rider
Founding Member

Default Re: Criticisms and questions

This is absolutely speculation on my part, but just imagine the next Honda Valkyrie with that aluminum frame from the GoldWing and the 1800cc engine.

Now that's a power cruiser that will handle!

Have a feeling that '02 will be the year for that. Doesn't make sense to build two different 6-cyl. engines.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:36 AM   #39
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Congrats!

Good job, MO!

Good timing on the coverage. You have reported this story faster and with better information and writing than any other bike website that I look at, including MCN. I hope this marks the beginning of a trend!
Old 06-14-2001, 09:50 AM   #40
kcobb
Founding Member

Default Re: Sometimes a muffler is just a muffler...

Yeah, the Mille and this thing have the largest cans known to man. I would think most cruiser types would turn their nose up at the big single exhaust. They all like their dual straight shots.

kcobb is offline   Reply With Quote