Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-01-2001, 04:38 PM   #1
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: 600-Class Comparo Reader Feedback

It's not that we think this three-bike test is "a waste of time and resources," it's that it's just not valid as a real 600 comparison without the Honda, at least, being included.

The undercurrent to all of this, of course, is that Homeric set of delays and disconnects that made producing this such a bear. Now that it's done, is there any way you could tell us all what happened, from snowstorms to completion? I bet it will be sidesplitting to read, if not experience.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2001, 05:16 PM   #2
alanheng
Founding Member

So... we have the four cylinder winner.

Seeing as there wouldn't be much of a comparo in the 650cc V-twin class, I guess the SV is the obvious winner there.

How about SV v. 6R in a real world + streets 'o willow shoot-out?

alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 06:32 PM   #3
Haga
Founding Member

What the heck is this!!! Did you guys seriously run a 2000 Triumph against an '01 Yamaha and Kawasaki??? Weren't you around last year when everyone was bashing the TT last year? I realize MO didn't test it but come on... this "test" took all of 3 or 4 months to finish and you guys don't even have the right year bike, or know how many years a bike has been produced?

On top of that, you "pull no punches" reviewers end up with no real definitive winner here. The Kawasaki is hard to beat... what about against the F4i?? As was mentioned earlier, how does the bike judged to be the "best streetbike" from the first test, get left out of the all street run?? How is the Kawasaki, which is no less a racer than the F4i, left out of the track? I saw the explanation for dragstrip times, but again you are leaving the Kawasaki and R6 out of one of their strong points. I can't imagine any reader is happy with the fact that a CBR was left out of an all street test, or the exclusion of the Kawasaki from the track. I know, the Kawasaki runs slower than the others and with the GSXR being updated probably would have been the dog this year but that never kept the old Suzuki out of the tests.

Finally, this whole thing about "don't litter the responses" is a huge copout for what is clearly subpar work. I've got a deal for MO... I won't litter with my posts if you don't litter with your content.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 06:55 PM   #4
stevegrab
Founding Member

I have to agree with Haga 100% here.

1) Comparing a 2000 TT (or was it a 2001?), and taking all this time (more like 7 months, initial 2001 shootout ran Feb 9, 2001)???

2) Absolutely no ranking of these 3, when there is clearly a 1(R6) 2(6R) 3(TT) ??? What's up with that. The whole idea of the F4i initially losing to the R6 in what was supposed to be a "street biased" shootout was hard to take (heresy for CBR owners) and now this wishy-washy "comparo"

3) Don't bother asking us to not litter the forum. If the forum is for "reader feedback", I read the story, I was disappointed, here's my feedback. Don't have a forum if you don't want the feedback.

stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 07:03 PM   #5
stevegrab
Founding Member

Bonus threaded message (so not everybody has to read it)

What a joke this whole review was. I hope you didn't spend much money on that, I doubt your donations will hold out much longer. As for getting people to pay for this site, I highly doubt that. Long-time leaders have clearly seen the quality dropping in the past. I sincerely hope you guys can turn things around. But if not its been fun while it lasted.

One more thing, I like how the specs and Dyno chart link to the one for the Part 1 shootout (748/GSXR/F4i/R6) Hmm, where's the info for the bikes in this shootout (TT and 6R). Oh well one more shortcoming.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 07:30 PM   #6
eljefe
Founding Member

well, now that we have all vented our aggresion, can we talk about bikes for a minute? I would like to get some opinions about 600's myself, biased as they may be. Geez, and he even asked you to talk about you bikes too. Usually ya can't get people to shut up about their favorite bike. So how bout it you 600 riders? whatcha got? What have you done to it to make it better that the factory should have? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 07:49 PM   #7
spedracrxx
Founding Member

Default Insurance Question...

I'm looking to trade in my ole Vulcan for a new sportbike (either a Suzuki GSX-R 600 or a Honda F4i)... My problem is that if I get a loan, the bank will require full coverage on the bike. SO, who do ya'll have insurance with AND, if you don't mind, how much is it???
spedracrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 07:51 PM   #8
granny
Founding Member

Default all your base are belong to us

The TT?

somebody set us up the bomb

http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 09:44 PM   #9
starturtle
Founding Member

I currently have a new GSX-R750. It's a fun bike but it has it's problems for any ride longer than 2 hours...the weight is on your wrists, the back gets a little sore, the legs cramp up and the engine resonates through the handlebars.

I have ridden the R-6, ZX-6 and the CBR and of the lot I would have to say that I would definately enjoy having the Kawi for the long haul and for around town. The engine is so milky smooth that the other bikes seem harsh after riding it. The hydrolic clutch is light and the engine's powerband is very usable. Believe me, if your friends have any of the other 600's they will not be running away from you on this bike unless there is some skill level discrepencies. Chalk one up for Kawi for a bike that you can live with and would want to keep for the long haul, like a VFR.

However, Kawi has got to do something about their graphics and paint schemes as they're butt-ugly. Really...a red bike with red wheels?!? Pointy black and white graphics?!? Geeeeeez
starturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 11:11 PM   #10
ghideon
Founding Member

I own a 00 ZX6R. Great bike, easy to ride. Good for going around town and what not. I do flog it on a weekly basis near the Santa Cruz mountains, and it does very well. I'm tallish (6ft2), so the bike fits me nicely. I can ride for over an hour without feeling any discomfort. Haven't changed anything drastic yet, just a few cosmetic things here and there.
ghideon is offline   Reply With Quote