Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-06-2001, 03:24 AM   #71
jonnyspeed
Founding Member

Default Re: 600-Class Comparo Reader Feedback

Take a look a Twobros.com and check out the dyno for the zx6R......106+hp !!
jonnyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2001, 03:32 AM   #72
jonnyspeed
Founding Member

Default Re: Actually, the Kawa is available in elegant blue

Yep...I have the blue one...I love it. I have to disagree with the Triumph being the most beautiful....while I won't call it ugly...it is not that appealing to me. I would pick it last of all the 600's based on looks. It's a personal thing.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:04 AM   #73
jonnyspeed
Founding Member

Someone wanted to see a review of modified 600's...well MO probably can't do that, but here is a little info from twobros.com's site...Stock HP:GSXR=103.9; ZX6R=98.9; CBRF4I=95.6; *R6=85 and then tested again with their slipon and no jetting changes: GSXR=107.6; ZX6R=106.1; CBRF4I=97.8; *R6=87 . *Not sure why the R6 is so low here...my guess is that they used an eddie current dyno on the R6 which usually shows lower hp than Inertia dyno's.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:41 AM   #74
eljefe
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurance Question...

y'all readyto cry? I live in Belgium (i'm in the USAF) and I bought a 97 TL1000s over here. Ya know what I pay in intrest? 6%. Gotta love a country that bikes are considered legit transportation and not a luxury. Plus, they sell 98 octane at the pump. . .
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 07:02 AM   #75
jchin1979
Founding Member

I was asking for the US legal one--no headlights and all--track only version,but...if you live in the mountains in a certain portion of northern california that doesn't see too many CHP bike cops, you could roll out of my driveway and take a nice 30 mile stroll through some twisties that'll have your nutz shrink into your stomach. Thanks for the info. I read the article and am wondering if there are any changes to the US version. I see it at the local Aprillia dealership and it sells for way less than $10G's. I think the price was about $5G in 2001, so there must have been modifications to the Euro version they reviewed in the article.
jchin1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 06:31 AM   #76
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Sounds like fun. For background, I own a prepped 90 Hawk, used to own an F4 and have raced an SV. Last week, I rode a stock SV650S. I also spent a day swapping back and forth between the F4 and a 98 6R. On to my thoughts:

1) You are dead right about the slimness of the comparo. I was unable to decide between the 6R and F4. It was that close.

2) On the track, the SV was great. A novice could probably go faster on it (or the Hawk) than on a 600 if the track (or road) were tight.

3) When the roads straighten out, the stock SV will get badly chewed up by the 600's.

4) With a pipe, jet, etc., the SV makes up for its top end power deficit with tons of character.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. See if you can get your hands on some tweaked bikes. I am sure that there are some MO readers in your area who would be totally stoked for their bikes to be used in a MO comparo.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 06:56 AM   #77
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I spent a year with an F4 and, during that time, spent a day with a 98 ZX6R. I am 5' 10", 230lbs and a Novice racer who started riding on a 1990 Hawk six years ago at the tender age of 28. I live in Houston. With that in mind:

I sold my F4 because it just didn't match my needs. Despite what others say, I found it very tiring to ride for long periods of time. A big problem was that the fairing essentially smooths out the flow to the arms and lower body at the expense of a very large increase in helmet noise and lift. The engine buzzed my right wrist enough to be a problem after about an hour.

Around town, the motor was a pain. When I would ride with my 1996 CBR100F-mounted friend, he would ease the clutch out at a light and just roll on. If I launched at less than 7500 RPM, he'd leave me in the dust and he was just rolling on at 3000.

Roll on torque at anything under 7000 was nonexistant - my Hawk would smoke it to 40mph. this is important for those of us living in suburbia where the police are everywhere and the speed limit on every street between me and the office is 35-45mph. Remember this: the powerband in 1st starts at 35mph, in second it starts at 55mph. This lead to a painful ticket. The bike was slow at all legal velocities.

On the other hand, the bike was good ergonomically, perfect mechanically, fast as hell over 8000RPM and handled beautifully. I fI lived in the hills away from suburbia, I might like it. If I go back on the track, it'll be on a 600.

But for now, I am interested in comfort and torque.

Oh, yeah, the 6R vs F4 comparo was a toss-up. Very minor differences. Pick your fav color.
Old 06-07-2001, 07:01 AM   #78
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Oh yeah, on a long, fast ride through high speed sweepers and long straights, the VFR800-mounted guy I was riding with kept up with me without ever changing gears. He just rolled on and off whilst I tap danced my way around in search of acceleration.

Some like the tap dance, some don't.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:23 PM   #79
6R_kawi
Founding Member

my '95 ZX6R has a friggin cracked frame down at the right bottom of the main spar. How long will a weld hold it? Anybody have experience with that kind of crap? This is very depressing = (
6R_kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 06:39 AM   #80
6R_kawi
Founding Member

Okay here's how you fix a cracked frame. Take anything and everything apart that will get in the way of a welder, then bring it to the welder and let him does his job. I took it to Doctor Johns and had it done right. Only cost $60 but the process was very labor intensive obviously. The left motor mounts were finger loose and that's what I believe contributed to the right side crack. Should be as good as new, or stronger even I hope.
6R_kawi is offline   Reply With Quote