Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-02-2001, 05:10 AM   #11
Phredd
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurance Question...

IF you buy an R-6 using the YAMAHA credit card, they don't require insurance for purchases under $10,000. Sweet deal. Check it out at your local Yammie dealer (if there are any R-6s left!)
Phredd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2001, 06:06 AM   #12
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: 600-Class Comparo Reader Feedback

The Triumph is a Year 2001 version. The rerferences to a first-year effort are as such because the bike has not changed since it's intro. That is, unless you count a re-mapped Fi system that still doesn't work correctly as a new bike.

And as for why we weren't "bashing the TT last year," this is because we didn't have one from Triumph until a few weeks ago. Which is, again, why it took "3 or 4 months" to finish this.

And as for why the Kawasaki was left out of the "original" shootout, to reiterate: Kawasaki was not able to provide us with a bike in time, even though we held the shootout for them for more than two weeks.

The CBR? It's my personal favorite all-around bike. I would have voted it tops here, though there are still people (some of whom test for us) who do not get on well with the F4i and who would have relegated it to something other than top spot here (just like they did in the "original" shootout). And since the requests we got for this shootout were the winner (of the "original" shootout) versus last year's winner versus the new kid Triumph TT, that's just what we did.

Please note: it was never our intention to do two seperate shootouts. We were all set to do one huge shootout with ALL contenders in every conceivable situation (ones that we could conceive of, anyway) set with track times scheduled, sticky rubber for all bikes involved, dates to be gone from the office for lots of real-world back-to-back testing etc. But we were missing two very important bikes. The readers knew this and, as stated above, requested THIS shootout. So we did it for them.

Do not think your points (all of you posters) are ignored. They will be addressed based on merit and changes will be made.

So, here's looking to the future, hoping manufacturers get us their bikes on time when they say they will, and for making MO's tests what you want them to be (within reason, of course. We have a hard time explaining to the women in our lives why we NEED nude women in our content).

-minime

Note: We just received a very cool new instrument that will allow us to provide you with everything from 0-60 times, quarter mile times, maximum acceleration (both positive and negative) in G's, and even some other things that might not be relevant, though we'll have to spend some time with the gadget to find out for ourselves.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 08:15 AM   #13
stevegrab
Founding Member

Minime, that is one of the best responses by an MO staffer I have ever read. You could have easily ripped Haga (me and others) for our continued complaints. But instead you took the high road, and explained a little of why things happened as they did.

I would kind of correct or question one thing, and that's the statement "And since the requests we got for this shootout were the winner (of the "original" shootout) versus last year's winner versus the new kid Triumph TT, that's just what we did." I don't ever remember seeing anything where the readers asked that you conduct the shooutout this way. It seems more that it was an MO decision, driven my many situations and beyond their control. I think a possible change could have been the R6 and F4i (1 & 2 from part 1) with the TT600 and ZX-6R. Then maybe the F4i would have prevailed, but unlikely since it seems the testers as a whole gave the R6 a slight edge. Still hard to understand from somebody that went through the process of buying a 600 in 2000. The R6 (and GSXR of that time) were just that much more uncomfortabe for my less than perfect supersport frame (let's say say short and heavy). But then I guess the F4i is a little less comfortable (slimmer/hard foam seat) than the 00 F4.

Anyway, great work keep up the good job. You deserve a pat on the back for handling some negative feedback very well (unlike the whole racing results posting issue where you poked fun at the people who wanted the results left off the main news page story segment).
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 08:18 AM   #14
spedracrxx
Founding Member

I believe I'd go broke trying to pay the 17.99% interest...
spedracrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 08:26 AM   #15
stevegrab
Founding Member

I bought a 00 F4 in April last year. I put 10K on it so far (8500 last year). Mostly day rides, and a few overnight or longer trips (1 6 days). When I shopped in late 99, the F4 was the bike that fit me best. I'm 5'7", 200lbs, generally most sportbikes are too aggressive seating. Particularly the R6 and the GSXR. The R6 was surely the best track/race bike out of the box, but too oncomfortable. So it was between the F4 and ZX-6R. The Ninja has a great motor, but I didn't care much for the graphics. I actually had wanted a 99 red/black F4, but couldn't find anymore as spring wore on, and got the 00 red/silver.

Anwyay I love it, it can go 250-300 mile days (consecutive) without killing your back/wrists. Its a blast to ride, especially in the really tight roads, esses, switchbacks it turns effortlessly and goes whenever you need it to.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 08:38 AM   #16
hackfu
Founding Member

Oops. That was my mistake. Its been fixed. I just forgot to copy the file over! eep!
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 09:35 AM   #17
minime
Founding Member

Steve, you know we have to poke fun at y'all sometimes, too. We can't always be all professional and politically correct. If we did that, you'd expect far too much from us

And as for this shootout being a MO decision as opposed to one derived from reader's feedback, that's truly not the case. Remember that what you see here in the Reader Feedback area represents only the smallest fraction of MO's readership as (on average) only about 10% of MO's readers go to the Daily News section, and of that percentage, only a small number bother to post things. Our main readership (not that you guys are insignificant -- far from it, actually) isn't all that concerned with Daily News and reading other people's feedback, but more with different features and such. And, since that's the case, many people send us e-mails directly, out of this public forum. Those e-mails overwhelmingly requested this shootout.

Again, thanks for all the feedback (both positive AND negative) from MO readers. With this open dialogue, it can't help but be a win-win situation in the long run.

Thought: I'd entertain the notion of having one (un-lucky) reader join us for part of our next shootout. Maybe that reader could offer others a different perspective of all that goes into a test. And then provide what he thinks about the bikes in contrast to our jaded thoughts? Just a thought, anyway. Hmmmm...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 10:39 AM   #18
motrcycles
Registered Member

I own a 2000 ZX6R, I love it. My previous bike was a 94 CBR 600 F2, and the ZX puts that bike to shame. I commute every day (about 60 miles round trip) and go looking for twisties on the weekend. I can ride this bike all day with no problems. Most of us don't get to ride all the new bikes and I am one of those people I have not riden any of the other 600s, but I would highly recomend the ZX.
motrcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 10:40 AM   #19
pponsfor
Founding Member

Default Re: SV vs. ZX6R

Hey Man, Good Idea - that would be a hell of a test. As far as I know it's never been done before, great idea....
pponsfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 10:44 AM   #20
pponsfor
Founding Member

I'm currently paying about $1250/Year for 100% full coverage on a 2001 ZX6R until my balance is below $5000. If you're at all interested in a ZX6R, their interst rates are Ok. I think mine is 14%, which is high, but decent for a motorcycle. I'd recommend giving the ZX6R a test ride. You may be surprised!!
pponsfor is offline   Reply With Quote