Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Morning Disaster: Avoided (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/632-morning-disaster-avoided.html)

RRocket 05-30-2001 07:32 AM

Re: Morning Disaster: Avoided

Crap..I thought the moral of the story was "Always make sure your dog is on a leash"......

minime 05-30-2001 07:37 AM

Well, I suppose it could be...

torresmr 05-30-2001 07:37 AM

A sad, and way to frequent, fact of our dear roads. Thankfully with a happy ending this time. Everybody be careful out there.

Take care,

M.

CBR1000F 05-30-2001 07:39 AM

Jeez man, I'm glad you're ok!

I've had the same thing happen to me when morons ahead of me HAD to slow down and rubberneck at an accident... I WAS watching my mirrors (I don't always remember to, but I was that time), saw him coming, with his head completely turned to the right, looking at the accident, and I escaped by splitting lanes between the rubberneckers.

Lowrez 05-30-2001 07:41 AM

Of course to the SUV driver...

You were an irresponsible motorcyclist that blew past earlier and now was sitting (nearly stopped) in the fast lane. They never saw the little pup (probably) so all the blame goes to you. At least that'll be the story around the water cooler.

I've noticed that most drivers/motorcyclists want to blame other drivers/motorcyclists for being stupid, even though you almost never know the full details of what happened. Ah well.

Still the reminder to be ever vigilant is a good one and I'll remember it as I sneak out early (my SV is calling to me).

minime 05-30-2001 07:46 AM

Re: Of course to the SUV driver...

Lowrez, you're right about the water-cooler talk. That'd probably be the driver's take on the situation. This is especially amazing considering that all the traffic had slowed, causing a bit of a back-up, and that in the driver's mind it was me who would have been irresponsible for slowing down and riding appropriately for the currounding conditions.

CBR1000F 05-30-2001 08:31 AM

Re: Of course to the SUV driver...

Of course... who cares, it was just a cage driver, and in an SUV at that. I'd put good money down that the SUV was immaculate, not a dent, brush scratch or speck of mud on it anywhere... Just a big station wagon that gets awful mileage and doesn't handle. A 4 wheel drive minivan status-symbol. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant.

Gixxerboy 05-30-2001 09:13 AM

Good point... be aware what ever you drive. I was in my cage this last weekend (broke 2nd gear so the bikes layed up a while) when two cars ahead, I saw a guy slow and stop appropriately to turn left off the road we were on (a 40km/h (that's about 25mph) road none the less). The car ahead of me must have been snoozing... no accident, no other distractions - don't think I can even blame cell phones on this one - as they plowed right into the guy turning left.

These are the people we must contend with on the road.

Thanks for the wake up call minime!

dgraham 05-30-2001 09:20 AM

I had something similar happen on Saturday. I was crusing along a 50MPH Minnesota country road and saw a family of geese getting ready to cross. I checked my mirror and saw a vehicle that was following a good distance back. I slowed down easy (tapping the brake and downshifting), and was giving the geese time to clear my lane (Moving single file, they took up about a lane and a half). Suddenly I heard squealing tires and looked in my mirror to see an SUV traveling sideways. I nailed it and aimed for a small gap between the last goose and the shoulder. After passing the goose, I checked the mirror again and saw an SUV with two wheels off the pavement (who says SUV's don't see a lot of offroad use :) )

CarsSuck 05-30-2001 10:38 AM

That is because they are stupid.

They drive an SUV, go figure. This is newsworthy stuff though huh? Is it heaven there or what? There are situations like the one above every day for me.