Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-31-2001, 05:49 AM   #21
cbrxr
Founding Member

Default Cell Phone Eliminator

I know there is a cell phone eliminator device in the Aerostich Riderwearhouse website.

www.aerostich.com
cbrxr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2001, 09:44 AM   #22
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default RE: your mom

I would disown any family member of mine that drove an SUV. I would no longer speak to them. If you think someone being killed in their own SUV that they chose to drive (or non-drive may be more accurate) is unfunny, I think someone being killed by someone else's SUV with no choice in the matter is much less funny.

An SUV driver should know and accept the risks of their vehicle the same way motorcyclists do, but unlike us everyone else is left with no choice but to accept their risks as well when some idiot chooses an SUV as an urban vehicle. The more that roll, the less people will choose to use them as cars. Yay! Later, gotta roll.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 09:47 AM   #23
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Oh I forgot to mention...

Thanks for being part of the solution and hanging up on your boss. I hang up on anyone that calls me from a car, which happens often at my job.
Old 05-31-2001, 10:33 AM   #24
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Morning Disaster: Avoided

How do you get around then?
Old 05-31-2001, 11:23 AM   #25
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Although motorcyclists don't have this option, I refuse to brake for any animal on the road when there are other cars on the road. I have seen and heard of way too many accidents that were the result of someone "swerving" (I use quotes because it's often more like an unintelligent yank of the steering wheel) to avoid an animal and end up either hurting their vehicle, themselves, and/or someone else. I know people who have died because of that; and so unless I have the ability to safely avoid the animal; car 1, animal 0. No animal is worth more than a human life. It's not that I want to be cruel to animals, but I've got priorities. Of all the places an animal could hang out, if it picks a 20-foot-wide strip of pavement, well, you lose.

PS.. don't try this with motorcycles. A deer jumped out in front of my brother once; he and his bike were pretty messed up, and this was only at 25 mph.
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 01:31 PM   #26
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Cell Phone Eliminator

I checked it out, it's a spoof. I think.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 04:17 PM   #27
huskerdu
Founding Member

Default Re: That is because they are stupid.

I'm f*#@^ng stunned at the absolute stupidity of the above comments. From a group that is constantly crying like 4 year olds that they are stereotyped as motorcyclists, you stereotype others based on the vehicle they drive.

In the last 10 years I've owned 2 tauruses, a bonneville, a camry, a cherokee, an olds silhouhette, a lumina and now own a bmw and a suburban. Guess what.... I'm the same friggin' driver in the Suburban as I am in the BMW and the same friggin driver I was in every other car I've owned. For that matter, the same friggin' driver that I am on the bike!!!!

Guess what... I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say that a good number of these evil SUV drivers are the same drivers they were in the last car they owned. The fact that they're in an SUV now changes nothing. You know... here's a thought.... maybe, just maybe, that stupid SUV driver has a garage full of motorcycles at home!!!! Damn, what a thought!!!!

Guess what... a good number of us "stupid" SUV owners use their vehicle for what they're intended for. I tow things, haul loads for work, tote kids to soccer. Tomorrow I have to go to Home Depot with my trailer to get a load of construction materials. Yesterday I used it to tow the bike to the shop for new tires. But you know something... Monday when I'm just using it to drive to work in the morning I guess I'll just be another ******* SUV owner. The fact that I ride every day changes nothing I suppose

Again.... it amazes me that a group that whines about being stereotyped and picked on because of the vehicle they prefer turns right around and does the same thing to another group of people. Think before you post.
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 04:19 PM   #28
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Absolutely agree. At least here in Texas, they actually teach the same thing in defensive driving courses (we can take them to dismiss speeding tix and for insurance discounts).

I'll never forget the last time I was in one of those classes (for an insurance discount), the speaker was like "O.k., if you're driving down the road and you see my precious little dog fluffy out in the road, what do you do?" I think myself and perhaps only 2 or 3 other people said "well, we're not going to swerve.. dog better get out of the way.." Everyone.. EVERYONE else in the class boo'ed us. It almost caused a riot. THIS is the mentality of most people, unfortunately.

The speaker was very quick to agree with us and put the uprising down in a hurry. He emphatically stated "don't you EVER swerve into any other lane of traffic to avoid a small animal in the road! You will very likely cause a lot more harm to another car or driver or yourself. You run over my little dog if

he doesn't get out of the way.. 'thump-thump'.. end of story."

I can tell you just as sure as I'm sitting here today, MAYBE only 1/3 of the people in that room took that advice to heart.. the rest flat out ignored it.

The PETA folks take on this would be very interesting, wouldn't it? (and I don't mean 'People for the Eating of Tasty Animals'.. though that one floored my with laughter the first time I heard it!.. no offense to the vegetarians out there.. but funny is funny)
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 04:30 PM   #29
huskerdu
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh I forgot to mention...

Again.. think before you post.

The same reports that show cell phones to be a distraction show almost every other thing that could occur in a car to be a greater distraction. Dealing with kids, unwrapping your Big Mac, changing the radio station, looking for a cd... the list goes on and on. When we outlaw kids in the back seat, make radios that can only be touched when the car is in park, eliminate cd players from cars and make it illegal to eat in a moving vehicle..... then we can start to rag on cell phones.

For that matter... how is having an involved conversation with someone in the passenger seat any less distracting than talking on a cell phone. I'd venture to guess it's a lot more distracting because you're likely to look over at the person when you're speaking to them.

Cell phones are an easy target but the truth is they are the absolute least of the problems that occur in a moving vehicle and I challenge anyone to honestly dispute that. I don't advocate using them in a moving vehicle but also recognize that there is a long list of greater dangers.
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 03:41 AM   #30
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Here, here! Good comments both. Whilst I do care about animals, I've seen and heard about too many folks that decide the 'family in the oncoming lane' or 'my best friend sitting in my passengers seat' is of less importance than 'fluffy' the dog or even a wee squirel. If there is no one behind... brake at a reasonable pace NEVER swerve to avoid.

Course on a bike things get a little different although I have two friends who smoked deer on their machine... I witnessed on 'event' which occurred at about 180kmh. Thankfully my friend was ok and actually kept the bike up (yam yzf600) less a wee bit of plastic plus more than a wee bit of... well, lets just say 'deer stuff'. Score deer 0 bike somewhat more than 0.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote