Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-30-2001, 10:40 AM   #11
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Morning Disaster: Avoided

Did it roll????? Oh PLEASE tell me it rolled. How many times?
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2001, 12:01 PM   #12
fazerO
Founding Member

Default backup a minute

If you are familiar with the traffic code-it is always the person in the rear who is at fault in a collision. They are responsible for where they are going, no matter what is happening in front of them. As motorcyclists we just have to be more aware of what is happening behind us, that is the point. If you don't you could wind up dead right. It is a good point.
fazerO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:08 PM   #13
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Default I have one for you...

This afternoon, I was in my car waiting to turn right from a traffic signal (I was waiting for some daylight to make my turn). This is the intersection of two two-lane roads (one each way).

I saw an SUV and a U-H-E-double-hockey-sticks truck approaching from the left. They both had on their turn signals and were decelerating. Cool. So I let the engine rev up a bit, took a look to the RIGHT (where I was going to go after I pulled out), and then took one more look to the left. I'm glad I looked when I did. Hiding in the shadow/blind spot of that U-Haul truck was a chick on a sportbike. The only way I knew she was there was that she pulled up alongside the U-Haul as it approached the intersection. I waited and let her go on by, and then merged in behind her. If I HADN'T spared that extra look, I wouldn't have seen her...at all...she pulled up and then disappeared behind the truck body again.

Please guys, if you're ever approaching an intersection behind larger vehicles, be a little more careful and think farther ahead than she did! That could have been messy! !
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:56 PM   #14
MotorcycleMan
Founding Member

Yeah, but is the dog okay?

Old 05-30-2001, 01:33 PM   #15
Kevin38
Founding Member

Being on the other Coast where lane splitting is illegal and Being in Atlanta where I swear they sell drivers licences to anyone with the cash (forget skill) I can say I've had a few close calls in my morning commute.

To the point now where if I must apply front brake and slow more then 20mph I also reach up with the left hand and push in the emergency flasher switch and cut to the position right next to a white line....

I'm glad all is well and you avoided the crash. My daily browse wouldnt be complete without this site and this site wouldnt be complete without your input.

But, I've also found that a close call every now and then is a healthy thing....It keeps us on our toes and if you really think about it,it gives us a bit more self confidence. Knowing you have the instincts to manuver yourself out of harms way fast enough shows good fast judgement. (Or,I'm my case I honestly believe I'm just the luckiest som beech on 2 wheels!)
Kevin38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 02:00 PM   #16
granny
Founding Member

Most cagers are in a complete daze when they drive. Every cager should be required to ride a motor bike or push bike at least some of the time. As for the obligatory street riding horror story, not long ago I was following an electricians truck when a large ladder fell off the truck. I was able to dodge the ladder but it was close. I heard recently of another fellow that nearly dodged a roll of carpet that fell off a truck (broke his leg I believe). I wouldn't be suprised to learn that in accidents involving items falling from trucks that the truck driver is seldom charged with any offense. There are many hazzards that one has to watch out for when one rides any kind of bike...
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:12 PM   #17
Shaft
Founding Member

What kind of dog was it?
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 07:26 PM   #18
GSXR104
Founding Member

I haven't ridden on the street on two years, and stories like this make me remember why. But then I did just break my collar bone and bust up both of my feet last weekend. : (
GSXR104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 07:33 PM   #19
darkspy
Registered Member

"So I accelerated into the next lane over and got the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of there."

The bold part sounds like something out of the Griots Garage catalogue. Any connection?

darkspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 10:00 PM   #20
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Yeah, it rolled, and your sister was driving. Or my Mom, or somebody else's kid. An SUV tipping over frequently kills people. Not really funny, or something you want to see, especially if you've ever been a first responder on a traffic accident where a SUV flipped, killed a brother and sister, and left their spouses alive, 'cause the spouses were riding in the back seat.

I saw a device on T.V. a few months ago that was supposed to be able to interfere with anyone's cell phone call, within a certain radius. I wish I could find out more about this, and mount one to my bike. Maybe then cagers would keep their minds on the road instead of on their phones. I've hung up on my boss before, because he called me from his cell on the road. I said, "I can't participate in distracting you while you drive, call me back when you've stopped your car." CLICK

minime, I'm glad you're o.k. Keep your eyes open guys, but I drive a cage sometimes, and I hope all my biker brethren aren't cheering for me to flip, roll and smear all over the road.

luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote