Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-30-2001, 07:05 AM   #61
cranx
Founding Member

Default OT: that was MY handle!

before MO went to registration ...
cranx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2001, 08:44 AM   #62
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: The VFR Killer...

Yeah... But I have to say that I've had a shaft drive bike ('81 Honda CB900 Custom) and while it had it's good points (very low maintenance, no mess) I also didn't like losing so much of the power to the shaft, nor did I like it the back end dropping when I rolled off the throttle. I know that they're better about that these days, but I just don't know... My dad rides a Concours, and he really likes the FJR 1300. One of the things he really likes about it is the shaft. To each his own. I think I'd rather mess around with chain lube/chain adjustments myself.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:47 AM   #63
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: W650

I don't know that I agree with you... but in any case, I think you're right about the new Bonnie and W650 both being pretty cool bikes.

And here you go:

Dear PantherCity's Wife,

Please let your husband buy a new Kawasaki W650 or Triumph Bonneville, as either bike would look fantastic parked next to your new PT Cruiser.

Regards,

Don
Old 05-30-2001, 10:43 AM   #64
laverda3c
Founding Member

Default Re: Kwaka

I too live in western Canada and I have toured on bikes that had a lot less horsepower than the modern 400s do! Try 29hp and it was fine. The traffic is so slow in this country that any bike could be used as a tourer providing you don't want to break any land speed records and collect the fines associated with doing so.

laverda3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 01:14 PM   #65
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: MO

Aah... a voice of reason. Kawasaki's best bet with the Concours and the Voyager is an evolutionary programme of continuous development.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 02:05 PM   #66
Kevin38
Founding Member

Default Re: MO

I have a 92 Concours that I love......And I mean I love this bike dearly.

I have had only 2 failures on the bike....1 a clutch return spring which the dealership took 3 weeks to get me the right part.(The spring design was changed and when the old part number came back as superceded the parts department didnt bother ordering a new part....And they didnt bother calling.....It cost me 14 bucks for the spring and 375 bucks for the rental car.

Second failure occured then the stupid owner of the bike had a few too many brews one night and decided to check the air pressure in the front forks....As the owners manual says,if you overpressurize the forks you might blow the oil seals. I took it to another dealership and spent 995 bucks on fork seals and carb work...2 weeks later the seals blew again... I've spent the last month repairing what the dealership broke and will NEVER trust anyone else to work on my bike.....But Connies getting old and tired and I want to replace her.....Tell Kawi if they make it I'll buy one in September.

I want a Concours with real brakes,a taller 5th and 6th gear.4500 rpm is too high for 70mph.I think the ZX12 engine would fit and a shaft wouldnt be too hard to put on her....I want a real set of front brakes and a tires size that is actually kept in stock by a dealer.....I want adjustable damping on the front and adjustable preload. I want the same on the rear shock...(Current rear adjustments are not good enough....Get Progressive to supply the rear mono shock,I'll pay extra!) Beef up the front springs a bit too...too mushy.... I also want handle bars that dont pull me up over the tank. Get rid of the flip in the stocker windshield, bring the lowers on the fairing out just a tab more so I can get all of my legs behind it...

Or, I want a Voyager that has real front brakes,a real front suspension and change the geometry or something to make it feel like I'm driving a motorcycle and not a john boat. Update the dash board....I drove an 81 LTD and didnt like it then....dash needs a overhaul.(Put the KZ1300 engine back in it and I'll forgive all though.) Get someone else to pick your paint colors....If your gonna offer the Nomad in that killer silver, why stick me with that Reading Parlor red?

Or, leave them both just like they are cause for the price either is hard to beat.....I just gotta decide which one to buy this time.

Kevin38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 04:39 AM   #67
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Forget everything you know!

Forget the updated sport tourer, faster, lighter, cookie-cutter sportbike, and more cruisers! Give us something new, something really exciting!

How about a decent single or twin streetbike that's not a tiny beginner's scoot, has enough poont to keep with with traffic, and looks interesting? How about some dirt-track styling? How about anything that's just going to blow my socks off? I want a bike that's light enough and powerful enough to put me in jeaopardy of losing my license at every stoplight. This doesn't mean it has to go 150 MPH. It should have a standard seating position with lots of legroom. It should be minimalist, squirty, and loads of fun to ride. And it must have flames on the tank.

How about a decent four-stoke dirt bike? The KLX300 has been doing journeyman duty for some time, now. Time to give Yamaha some competition, eh?

How about a flat-track chassis with a bored out KLX390 with some street equipment? Wouldn't that be a rush? Gotta have flames on the tank!

Pete P>
Old 05-31-2001, 06:08 AM   #68
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: Kaw vs Honda

So you're saying, at it's time, the Ninja900 wasn't lightweight and precise handling??? How about the Z1? And you really believe this? Kawasaki has a long history with performance oriented 900s, dating far back into their history, and certainly further back than Honda.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 06:17 AM   #69
Philbiker
Founding Member

At very least if you make a sport touring bike chain drive, it MUST have a centerstand. I have a 95 GPZ1100 which in many ways is exactly what you are asking for as VFR competition. I know the VFR (then 750) was one of the bikes I was considering when I bought my GPZ. I have 41K miles on it, including many long tours, and I don't mind the chain one bit. It's my first chain driven bike, after a couple shafties and IMO a sporty sport tourer like this should have a chain, not a shaft. Performance is a very real consideration.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 06:35 AM   #70
panthercity
Founding Member

"I think I'd rather mess around with chain lube/chain adjustments myself."

As my daddy used to say, "That's why they makes Fords AND Chevrolets..."
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote