Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-29-2001, 01:58 PM   #51
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Kwaka

I have to agree to an extent. Us crazy 'mericans

do like to do the long-distance thing. But, honestly,

I'd bet that the vast majority of riders who would

be the 'target' for a 400 weren't riding when 400's

were available. They may not even know what

they are missing today. And really, for any ride

over 100-odd miles (when I actually have to get

-somewhere- in particular) , I get on the cruiser

bike anyway.

As for the 2-strokes, heck yeah! Man, that would

be so awesome to get a sweet, new, 500cc V4!

Ahh.. but the eco-folks would FLIP-OUT completely.

-EVEN if- it was -=somehow=- possible to make them

as clean as 4-strokes. I just think that the notion

of a 2-stroke would so offend those folks that they

would do everything in their power to stop them.

I would give both eye-teeth to get one that had

around 100 rwhp, and weighed ANYWHERE between

250 and 350lbs wet (which ought to be attainable).

$10 to $12K... no problem.. where do I sign?!

I'll just have to settle for my trusty ol' RZ350...

which I love, but admit isn't quite the sharp-edged

weapon that current 600's are. Oh well, the sound

and power-band are well worth it!
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2001, 02:26 PM   #52
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki

<blockquote> - Update the Dual-purpose line. KLR650s are terrific, but I think time has come to completely update them, less weight, more power, sharper handling and better brakes are the way to go. Styling should be updated too. </blockquote>

Maybe a brand new KLX, a DP that's more serious off the pavement than the KLR. Have that alongside an updated KLR with better brakes and other improvements.

<blockquote> - Drop the ugly cruisers such as Vulcan 88 and 750 from the line-up. </blockquote>

For the most part I agree, however, the Vulcan 750 with the Tour Package looks COOL! Yet another plus for Kawasaki... who else makes a bike that looks like a Vetter-ized early-'80s bike?

<blockquote> - For God's sake stop building current Concours and Voyager. Use the new ZRX 1200 engine and build new tourers. And don't just match the competition, beat them!! </blockquote>

Here I don't entirely agree. Maybe an all-new Concours, but I don't think an all-new Voyager would be merited. The current platform does a good job; upgrading the suspension and braking components and adding the ZRX1200 engine should bring it fairly up to date at a reasonable price. This would satisfy the Voyager's niche: the touring rider who wants an inexpensive, reliable ride and doesn't really care about the bells and whistles of the GoldWing and the LT. I really do think that H-D style evolution is the best bet for the Voyager.

<blockquote> - Update the current 500 Ninja. Why do you ask? Please look at Suzuki SV650 if you need any convincing. </blockquote>

Erm, a new standard based on the 6R or 6E might be a better bet. The EX500 has its place, right beside the GS500E. Either one would suit me fine, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants an iinexpensive, reliable new bike (although I would rather have the GS500E...)

<blockquote>- Keep improving the bike after you release it!! </blockquote>

HEAR HEAR!!! No argument there!

BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 03:08 PM   #53
nemesis600
Founding Member

Default Re: MO

Kawasaki needs to jus wake up... here you go plain & simple if noone has already said it.. Take the ZX-6 Frame Shed 40 lbs from it and use it as a basis for the 750 & Zed X-9. Beef up the frame so the 12 motor doesn't bend it to pieces and stuff the 12 motor in it & Kawasaki will be back in the runnings.... and please please please don't forget to change the suspension while they're at it!!!! For any other additions, they can make the Zed X-9 998 cc's So it can be close to 1000 but I forgot how the ruling goes on cc's!!!!!
nemesis600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 03:21 PM   #54
BigGit
Founding Member

Suzuki sucks...NOT!!!

With the exception of the FZ-1 and the Venture, Yamaha has generally disappointed me, but Suzuki and Kawasaki always give me hope. Suzuki has THREE bikes in the area that interests me most: mid-size standards (GS500E, Bandit 600 and SV650) and Kawasaki has two and a half (ZR-7, W650 and EX500/Ninja 500, really a sportbike, but...)

HOWEVER: Suzuki makes no touring bikes. While the Voyager and Concours get abuse for being old and outdated, Suzuki has nothing to show in that area at all (and no, the HeyAbuser cannot be compared to the ST1100 or the Concours). But they could, quite easily:

Take the Bandit 1200, add a fairing, bags and top box, take the time machine to the late '70s/early '80s, bring back the GS-G driveline, add a few bells & whistles and voila! A dresser that would kill the Voyager stone dead and have people wondering if they really need the hugeness of the GoldWing. Who knows, a stone ax like that may even win converts from the E-Glide crowd...

Right now, Honda (the biggest Japanese manufacturer) and Kawasaki (the smallest) are the only ones that cover all the bases...
Old 05-29-2001, 03:25 PM   #55
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Kaw can improve and take market by storm!

<blockquote>Go for niche markets and do them well and Kawasaki will be around along time!</blockquote>

If that is a message to Kawasaki, I think you're preaching to the converted, although they seem to have chosen retro bikes as their niche.

Another niche they seem to have dropped into is the cheap tourer niche. The Voyager and the Concours may have developed a bit of Model T-itis, but they wouldn't be running the lines if folks weren't buying. So why do they buy? Because they want a dresser or a sport tourer with a factory warranty and a reputation for reliabilty and cost is an object. This is why I think that an all-new Voyager competing directly against the LT and the GoldWing would be a mistake; the Voyager has a following and it doesn't pay to p*ss the faithful off.

<blockquote> Bring in your best 400cc street machine from Japan. There is huge demand here and your best would sell big. Even the GPZ retro, my fav, would sell very well as there are no other top of the line 400cc sporting bikes. </blockquote>

Apart from D-Ps and dirtbikes, are there ANY 400cc bikes on the US market? I concur, roll with it!

Old 05-30-2001, 01:26 AM   #56
Copper
Founding Member

Default Re: 400

I own a CB-1. Everyone thinks that means it's 1000cc. Not so. The market for 400cc bikes was abysmal in 1989-1991. Do you think that's changed?
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 02:14 AM   #57
navion_pa1
Founding Member

Default Re: W650

Actually it was a lic. product. I always thought the casting were better then the brit stuff.

navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 03:46 AM   #58
johnny575
Founding Member

I was all set and buying a valcan 800 classic then i saw the intruder volusia 800 shaft drive and 400 hundred dollars less and lot more bike for the money I was sold on the new intruder....
johnny575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:02 AM   #59
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

You do have to hand it to the green machine. They promised they'd keep the Concours the same for 5-10 years (I forget which) and they've surpassed that. They had a great idea... touring machines don't need to be updated every year but, perhaps every decade!

If Kawak would keep the big C and regularly update it (minimally) they could keep the cost down AND have decent performance (in the touring world).

I believe there is a huge market for folks who just want to tour but don't want air conditioned full boat monsters.

Refine the base bike and amortize the cost over the next 5 years to keep the retail price reasonable.

just a thought.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:07 AM   #60
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: 400

Hey Copper, how's the CB-1 running? They're (along with FZR400's) about as rare where I live (Alberta Canada) as the Dodo bird but I've been looking for a great handling 400 for ages.

What sort of riding do you do? Any mods? Any advice for an aspiring 400 fan?

I've got the 1100 for the big distances, a 400 would fit in my garage just nicely!
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote