Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-29-2001, 09:57 AM   #41
Charlie
Founding Member

Default Re: The VFR Killer...

What I ment by the last comment was that I like linking the front brake to the back. I would however prefer that the back not be linked to the front.

As far as Kawasaki goes they need to get help in their styling department. Hey Kawasaki it is time to get rid of the lime green paint and the boy racer graphics. They were cool on the 100 & 238 Greenstreeks but that was over 30 years ago.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2001, 10:42 AM   #42
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Kwaka

I have to disagree about the 400cc bikes.

While I've drooled over the cb1 and fzr400 of yore(still would like one if I could find one!) I don't believe they will work in the North American market.

In Canada here, there are a lot of long open roads where there is nothing like a big bike... even 600's are pretty small when chugging at altitude through the mountains. A four hundred just would not cut it particularly as, if I remember correctly, 400's were not much cheaper than their bigger brothers. Really, I'd love to see the RGV250's and other high performance two strokes here but, again, North Americans typically want to ride looooooonnnng distances.

Just my thoughts... Love to hear someone tell me why they think 400's may make a good showing here as this is just my opinion and I think I've been wrong before.... maybe.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 10:53 AM   #43
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: MO

Hey MO, you guys rock for setting up this discussion!

Sure, we're all just giving our opinions but I've learned a lot about Kawasaki - both their current model's good and bad points from folks who actually own them, ride them and like/hate them. No offence (!) but that, to me, is much better info than what a road test article will do for me. As well, this discussion covers all Kwak models... not just the current flavour.

Good on ya guys! Now, how 'bout starting on on the Best Motorcycle Co out there... Suzuki!!!

Yup... trying to start a flame war

Lets hear what people like/hate/have experienced with other companies...

Is Triumph 'really so bad' - reliability speaking

is Suzuki really so awesome

Is Yamaha really so... um... whatever Yam is really known for...

Lets talk about it!

Hey, just noticed I'm Anonymous Squid!!! I'm actually Chris... er Gixxerboy (dumb name eh?) What's up???
Old 05-29-2001, 10:53 AM   #44
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: oops

Um, oops, the name changed when I posted... sorry. What can you expect from a GSXR rider!
Old 05-29-2001, 10:58 AM   #45
panthercity
Founding Member

Default Re: The VFR Killer...

Yep, but I'll take the power loss downside on a sport touring bike for the cleanliness and maintenance upside.

If you want ultimate power, this is the wrong genre.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 11:09 AM   #46
panthercity
Founding Member

Default Re: W650

Bzzzt, wrong.

I was living and riding in Wyoming when the original Kawi W1 650 twin came out. All us purists were bent out of shape because they had copied the BSA 650 twin, right down to the right-hand shift four-speed and shape of the cases. The WS650 is an update on that bike with styling cues from a lot of bikes from the `60's, including the bike I was on when I saw my first W1, a tower drive 350 Ducati single I'd striped down for scrambles.

Regardless, I think the W650 and the new Bonnie are pretty neat and would look great parked next to the wife's new PT Cruiser. If you agree, would you mind dropping her a short note saying so? ;^)

panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 11:24 AM   #47
banda
Founding Member

Default Kaw vs Honda

Kawasaki invented the 900 cc sportbike. That is true.

Honda invented the lightweight, precise handling 900 cc sportbike.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 02:31 PM   #48
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default 400's

Everyone speaks so highly of the FZR-400 and its various virtues. I think that if a company was to bring a modern 400/4 to the US, it would become quite popular for around town use, weekend blasts through the curves, and beginning amateur racebikes.

But, I think that the revamping of the WSB rules to allow liter bikes into the competition would prove to be of more value overall to the worldwide market, as well as to the level of competition in the series. Not to mention Kawasaki's subsequent image and performance improvements that the racing would hopefully spawn.
Old 05-29-2001, 02:45 PM   #49
BigGit
Founding Member

<blockquote>Stylist working overtime??? Maybe in a museum. </blockquote>

More than likely. Probably the same museum the Chrysler (PT Cruiser) and Ford (Thunderbird) stylists went to.

<blockquote>Drifter = Indian</blockquote>

...a lot more so than the new "Indian" bikes are. That's called "homework"!

<blockquote>W650 = Triumph</blockquote>

Not really, it's an amalgam of British 650 parallel twins, most notably the BSA A10 that Kawasaki initially copied in the '60s to create the W1... However, I don't think Triumph ever made a production twin with a tower shaft (did any British manufacturers?)

<blockquote> ZRX/ZR = ancient kawks</blockquote>

...which shouts loudly that Kawasaki has a history of its own.

Indians, Britbikes, big UJM superbikes... what's not to love? Send more drawing supplies to the museum!
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 02:55 PM   #50
BigGit
Founding Member

I was specifically referring to the FireBlade-type iron maidens, not sportbikes in general. Let's see: first the CBR900RR, then the GSX-R750 actually surpassed it, then the second generation CBR900RR took the trophy back for a short while before the appearance of the R1, then the GSX-R1000 took the title of the most terrible track terror...

"The man o' independent mind,

He looks and laughs at a' that."

- from A Man's A Man For A' That by Robert Burns (obviously not related to John Burns, but...)

OTOH, the founder of Motorcycle Crossroads (HEY JON! WHERE ARE YA!) once posted a picture of his Ninja 600R packed for a camping trip. YOW! Fishing pole and all! Everything but the kitchen sink! I called his bike the Ninja Wing ever since! That 600R was his sole means of transport at the time, and it served him well.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote