Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-28-2001, 12:29 PM   #51
Kiwi
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville Reader Feedback

The whole idea was to have something different. Our country has thousands of miles of unsealed back roads that don't really require a dirt bike but are no fun on a race replica or heavy tourer. Besides british style street-scramblers (BSA Firebird, Triumph TR5 and even Honda CL350 etc) have cool appeal all of their own. A slightly dirtified W650 would be the ideal alternative to say a BMW F650 for exploring all of New Zealand.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2001, 01:15 PM   #52
everiman
Registered Member

Sorry Triumph, I may be one of those old farts, but I remember my 1969 Bonnie as one of the prettiest bikes of its time, and one of the top performers too. If you wanted an entry level Triumph in the 60's there was this wheezy little 200 cc job.

I have seen the new Bonnie side by side with the W650, and when I look at today's Bonneville, my heart says CB 350 or XS 360, not Bonneville. Kawasaki did a way better job with the looks.

And no tach on a Bonneville?, this used to be Triumph's top of the line bike. Who does Triumph's marketing, the same people who call the once (and still) mighty Sportster a girls bike?

We all ride bikes for different reasons I always valued performance & handling but I am cheap & poor, so today my garage holds Yamaha sport bikes. If Ducati, Honda, and Suzuki can make twins go fast why not a performance Bonneville worthy of the tradition, a fast, light, good looking bike with modern reliability? 70's Japanese 4 stroke twins copied Brit styling and added reliability Mass production and cost reduction resulted in a reliable but cheesy appearance with underwhelming performance. Triumph got that part right, too bad they forgot what the Bonneville meant in its day.

I vote they call their new bike the Cub, the name it truly deserves.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 05:39 AM   #53
Fly4hire
Registered Member

After a lot of reading, looking at both bikes, I bought the Bonnie despite what the pundits claimed. I put on the pipes/jets, tank pads, and grab rail. It sounds awesome, the pipes don't blue near as much, the extra 10 horses are very noticable, and it looks much more authentic. Now all it needs are some fork gaiters and the rework is complete. It is a quick, light, incredibly fun bike to ride. My only wish is for better shocks - hopefully Progressive will be forthcoming shortly.

Sure you get all this on the W650 without shelling out the extra $$, but the slightly modified Bonnie is a superior machine. More importantly it says Triumph on it. Not important you say? Well, it is to a lot of folks who by a HD over a Shadow or Royal Star for the same reasons. The emotions this bike stires, and the looks and comments it gets would not be forthcoming on a Kawi IMHO.

Motorcycling and a bike you own has to stir something within ones inner soul the way I see it - and my Bonnie does that for me the way no Kawi could.

Fly4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 09:26 AM   #54
BigGit
Founding Member

That's Cub as in Tiger Cub, right? 'Coz folks could confuse that with the Super Cub, which is a Honda...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 09:50 AM   #55
BigGit
Founding Member

<blockquote> Sure you get all this on the W650 without shelling out the extra $$, but the slightly modified Bonnie is a superior machine. </blockquote>

Please elaborate.

<blockquote>More importantly it says Triumph on it. Not important you say? Well, it is to a lot of folks who by a HD over a Shadow or Royal Star for the same reasons. The emotions this bike stires, and the looks and comments it gets would not be forthcoming on a Kawi IMHO. </blockquote>

There is at least one W650 owner who will disagree based on his own experiences.

<blockquote>Motorcycling and a bike you own has to stir something within ones inner soul the way I see it - and my Bonnie does that for me the way no Kawi could. </blockquote>

Everyone rides for his own reason, and the reason chooses the bike.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote