Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-24-2001, 03:18 PM   #41
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: So flaming what?

Harley's "retro" models SUCK. The details are not even close. Are sales and popularity the only measures? Who cares if a bunch of lazy bastards complain about little details that are all easily changed. I hate it when a company gets a bike as right as Triumph got the speed triple, because there's not enough to change. Has anyone about the chassis or engine configuration, the bore/stroke ratio? Why do YOU think the bike is a failure--other than that everyone else seems to think so. Triumph said this bike was to be a simpler more entry level machine, so they decided to make it retro and kill 2 birds. Here's the formula for anyone who really can't figure it out. Put a real bonnie tank on it from an OIF model. Yes you can. Put some damn gaitors on the forks if you must. If you're the type to be concerned that the pipe tobacco in the pocket of your waxed cotton jacket may be getting damp then you're probably not considering this bike anyway and should keep your silly knee pads far away from it, so may as well put a clubman bar on it. Change the pipes. Fine, wait for some to become available on the market for it if you really don't know a guy at a muffler shop who'll work for corona. You sad people. Cut that back fender. No one about the back fender--doesn't matter. Why not do all this to a W650? Indeed, why not. The triumph's motor and chassis just happen to fit me better.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2001, 07:54 PM   #42
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: 24 less HP???!!!

Perhaps we are not in disagreement at all. Different bikes suit different people--that's why we have a free market, no?

For example, you prefer the TL because its suspension is better. I prefer the SV because I am physically small, have no desire to go faster than 75, and prefer a more upright seating position (and hopefully, in about a year, I'll be able to tell you ALL ABOUT how wonderful the SV is ;D ).

And of course, the W650 is not automatically better than the Bonnie 800. But for my father, who still worships the Steve McQueen image and has no desire for the extra 14 hp, it was the better bike. Obviously for someone else, different factors are involved.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 07:56 PM   #43
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville Reader Feedback

And I'd say the RC-51 is the opposite of functional for someone who needs a commuter bike
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 08:05 PM   #44
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default For once, I think I hafta go with Gabe....

Although when it comes to motorcycles, to each his own, I guess. Even if it means your own is a boring old piece. I would argue that the English have a knack for making just about ANYTHING boring. However, the poeple that will buy these are probably boring old pieces themselves, so go figure.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 01:36 AM   #45
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Exactly. Bikes on either end of the sportbike or cruiser spectrum are NOT at all "functional" and, with a few merciful exceptions, those two genres are just about all the Japanese make in the way of streetbikes these days. The Bonnie OTOH is one of the few "standard" motorcycles left and one of the purest examples of same along with its look-alike the W650. A standard does everything well but nothing supremely well, and as such is the most "functional" of all motorcycles IMO. Alas some people are bound to criticize these bikes for their greatest virtue.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 07:07 AM   #46
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I happen to think that the SV 650 is a nice looking little motorcycle. I also think that the SV 650S is even better looking... though I know an SV 650 owner that can't stand the "S" model. It's all in the eye of the beholder... and to me, 2 of the top five ugly bikes are beemers, and one bike that I used to make fun of (the Suzuki EyeAbuser, whoops, I mean Hayabusa) has grown on me.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:38 AM   #47
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Kick starters suck

I was way less than a 120 lbs. when I was kickstarting my dad's Norton Commando 750... and that one had some ferocious kickback. My dad tells me that he used to watch through the window, expecting to see me get launched over the handlebars. Never did, though.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:23 AM   #48
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Exactly! Thank you.

I love standards.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:36 AM   #49
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: All we need is more cruisers...

I think you've got that exactly right.
Old 05-26-2001, 05:29 AM   #50
basel1120
Founding Member

Anyone considering a Bonneville should try to demo the bike with Triumph's "off road" pipes and carb kit. The difference in performance as well as the aural experience is substantial. In fact, riding the bike with these options makes the philosophy underlying the bike's design abundantly clear. No longer strangled and underpowered, the Bonnie feels like what it was meant to be, a modern version of a classic.
basel1120 is offline   Reply With Quote