Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-24-2001, 07:21 AM   #31
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Ok, but just on the kickstarter issue...

why shouldn't a kickstarter be considered a practical thing to have, just because it's old? I like the bonnie better, but I've never seen a bike without a kickstarter that I didn't wish had one.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2001, 08:00 AM   #32
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville Reader Feedback

Isn't it "C'est la vie"?
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 08:18 AM   #33
granny
Founding Member

Default Kick starters suck

As a 120 pound teenager, my Enfield 750's kick starter threw me over the handlebars many times (good thing i wore a helmet). Now as a (slightly overweight) 140 pound adult, i'd probably do better, but I don't really want to. I don't need the romance of kick start and I'm light enough that I'm willing to accept the extra weight of an electric starter; besides with fuel injection you really need a battery - so if my 916's battery goes dead, I ain't likely to be push starting it so I say stuff the kick starter.

I think the Bonnie is neat, but I'd far prefer a Norton Commando or an Enfield Interceptor though I'm not sure I'd buy either should either magically appear.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 09:44 AM   #34
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default All we need is more cruisers...

an even better idea would be the Savage given British styling instead of that wannabe chopper-esque styling that's getting a bit stale to say the least. Offer a 750 twin AND the current thumper engine but keep the latter priced down around the $4K range like it is now. IOW an Enfield Bullet you don't have to be a mechanic to own. That would be a hit for both newbies and the old fart riders who've decided they're no longer into having their eyeballs squashed along with their life savings.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 10:26 AM   #35
Kiwi
Founding Member

Personally I much prefer the Kawasaki. I hate the way Triumph have tried too hard to make an ohc engine look like the old one. What would I know though? I started riding in the '70s on two strokes. Funny thing however, my mate who owns a '62 Manx, used to be an Irish road-racer, and has owned everything from a Velo Thruxton to an MV Agusta 750 agrees with me. The W650 captures the size and style of a british twin better by using elements of several bikes without being a copy of any particular one. The bevel-drive cam adds a bit of class too, if you think Manxes and Ducatis are cool. Kiwi Rider magazine put a set of knobbies on a W650 and took it on an adventure (dual-sport) ride. They had a ball. With high pipes, a bash plate, and lower gearing etc, I think it would be a blast. I wouldn't try it on a new Bonneville though. Plus you save NZ$4000 by buying a Kawasaki that already has gaiters, knee pads, and a tacho.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 12:49 PM   #36
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default 24 less HP???!!!

Try 14 hp. My father's W650 makes 47 hp. If the Bonnie makes 61, then do the math: 61-47=14. And considering that the Bonnie has 25% more displacement than the W, that's to be expected.

If more displacement always means better, than isn't a TL1000 automatically a better motorcycle than an SV650? An R1 automatically better than an R6? Or could it be that some people just like smaller motorcycles?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 02:27 PM   #37
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Uh, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper and simpler to just buy a Kawasaki KLR650 than take a W650 and make a dual-purp out of it? I mean, the W650 will be just about as ugly as the KLR (described by one journalist as looking like a trash bag with wheels) once it's all covered with mud.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 02:33 PM   #38
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: 24 less HP???!!!

You're right, the 24 was derived from earlier reports that the Kaw had 44 hp and the triumph had 68. Anyway, I didn't say the triumph is better, I asked if the Kaw was really better, implying that it's not necessarilly a better bike just because of cosmetic details. I was not at all implying that it's worse.

No the TL1000 isn't AUTOMATICALLY better, it's better because it has better suspension components that come with the bigger price.
Old 05-24-2001, 02:43 PM   #39
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Try kicking a KZ650.

The very notion it might throw you would make you laugh if you'd ever kicked one. You could start it with your hand, and I have. Most modern motors have a drastically shorter stroke than your old enfield and turn very easily, much like smaller UJMs of the past.
Old 05-24-2001, 03:01 PM   #40
BigGit
Founding Member

Kiwi, let me begin by saying

THANK YOU!!!!

All those ignorant folks calling a W650 a Bonneville clone should be asked to show us a picture of a Bonneville with a tower shaft! In fact, I can't recall hearing of any production 650 twin (the Universal British Motorcycle) with a tower shaft, although several racing bikes and sports singles had them from before the Bonneville came out (actually from before the Second World War...)

That was a neat touch IMO, and solved the problem of how to include the OHC Kawasaki was familiar with into a retro bike.

As for kickstarters, I learned to ride on a Nighthawk 450 that had no kickstarter and a not terribly good alternator. I learned how to bump start before I learned how to ride properly. One of the attractions of my 200 twin is that it has a kickstarter. It also has an electric starter. The electric starter doesn't work. It can be fixed, but I don't care; I never use it. As far as I'm concerned, the electric starter is a luxury back up for when I feel lazy, the real way to start is to kick the starter. But then I've always tried to be a minimalist and I have for a long time been a bicyclist.

OTOH, I've never ridden a big bike with a kickstarter, so I don't know if I would end up with a broken leg or a concussion with the W650...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote