Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-23-2001, 02:18 PM   #21
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default cruiser version??

Please God no. What a horrible shame and embarassment. What is happening with them? The daytona was so perfect, it was exactly what a modern triumph should be with great styling, and they had to go and beat it with an ugly stick. Now a bonneville cruiser? They made some mistakes with the bonneville maybe, but I still think it looks good and it's a good bike. A cruiser version would be a ridiculous embarrassment to everyone that's supported this company, even moreso than the new Daytona's styling is a let down.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2001, 04:57 PM   #22
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Default Re: how ironic

I grew riding motorcross and had a 1990 DR650 for 3 years. I think kicking over a 650 single for 3 years qualifies me to know about kick starting a bike.

Most modern STREET bikes don't have kickstarters, nor drum brakes or oil leaks. What I was trying to get across, is it must be hard to make a retro-styled bike that is modern enough and still retro enough to satisfy the skeptics. People say the Kawasaki is more like the old Bonneville than the Triumph, but all the magazines say the new Bonnie is a better motorcycle. And that to me is better. If people want a retro bike go buy a old trumph/BSA/etc -- or be glad your bike doesn't need a kickstarter.

Of course this imo.
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 05:26 PM   #23
Haru
Founding Member

Default I don't care what the mags say

Neo,

I don't know which of the two bikes is better because I haven't evaluated them yet.

But I do want to make two points:

1. The magazines are not unanimous in the verdict. Some have said the Kawasaki is the better bike.

2. Since the advent of internet forums like esportbike.com, sportbikeworld.com and labusas.org, the one thing that has become clear to me is that magazine comparisons are nonsense. Real world riders' needs, wants, limitations, preferences, commitments are absolutely not reflected in magazine comparison tests. Because a magazine says bike A is better than bike B does not mean it is better for me.

I buy motorcycles based on what I want, not what some magazine says. W650 or Bonnie? I decide, not some editorial board that shares nothing in common with me, least of all my biases, prejudices, and things that turn me on, float my boat. I evaluate based on my criteria.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 07:55 PM   #24
Calamari
Founding Member

Default Re: cruiser version??

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/redire...&docType=STORY

Sorry cars read it and weep complete with pictures

If I blew the link open the mcn homepage and search out 'bonnie spotted in oz'

Think it might make Suzi throw a 750 twin in the Savage ? A starter that the newbies won't need to throw away after a year?

All good from where I'm sit'n
Calamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 01:53 AM   #25
Copper
Founding Member

Default Re: All The Magazines?

Not Cycle World.
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 02:02 AM   #26
Copper
Founding Member

Default Re: So flaming what?

The deal is that Triumph had a excellent opportunity to get the thing right. And it didn't, given all the negative comments I've seen by riders here and elsewhere. It would not be too hard for Triumph to get the details correct, but it didn't. Nostalgia works for Harley because every detail they put on their bikes, by definition, reminds 50-somethings of earlier models. Nostalgia Triumph got the overall look wrong. While it reminds many former Britbike owners of their first ride; up close it isn't getting the job done. That's one gripe. The second gripe is that apparently some other company was able to get many of those 'memory points' correct. Why couldn't Triumph?

BTW, Motorcyclist liked the Triumph mo betta because Mitchy got to help Triumph scr...design it up.
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 03:24 AM   #27
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re: Clearly mnftrs should only make bikes for Gabe

Gabe, you are not the only important person, despite how much you think you are. It is a big, diverse world and some people like the new Triumph including my girlfriend who bought one. Why would anyone buy a new Bonneville over a SV650? Because they want to.

You say the Japanese make darn functional bikes. If function is more appealing to a consumer then that is what they will buy.

Quit trying to push your personal tastes on other people. It is a big market, Harley makes great bikes for their intended purpose as does the Japanese, the Brits etc... Buy a bunch of different bikes for different riding styles - that my friend is the way to live.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 03:46 AM   #28
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: oh so close!!!

Kickstarter: Yeah, there is little need. Still, I dig it, lust seeing it makes me want to put on a white t shirt and a Fonzi jacket and go kick start something. Practical? No. Cool nonetheless. Some want one, some don't, so what?

Exhaust: That bend is hideous, MO is way off base here. It has nothing to do with authenticity, but with its look. I'd be fine with ditching the pea shooters, but do something with the bend. Harley makes its pipes straight for a reason and it ain't because of tradition, its because it looks good.

Overall, I dig it. I have lusted for a Norton Commando, Honda CB550 Four, Vincent, etc. I have a beat up 1974 MGB in the garage (it was well used when i got it in high school). Although I am an engineer and love the pinnacle of technology, the old machines have a beauty of their own too.

On the other hand, old machines don't work worth a sh_t. It is so cool that one can buy a new old machine. Someday, I'll invest the gobs of money needed to make my MG into my vision for it, but even then, it won't be nearly as reliable as this new Bonnie.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 03:49 AM   #29
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville Reader Feedback

Hey MO, what's going on with the BBS? I keep trying to post and get 404's, then it goes and says I have submitted twice. New server? Code tweak? Devils of Redmond getting you?

I expect that you know about the problems and are staying up late trying to fix them.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 05:17 AM   #30
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville Reader Feedback

The SV650 is one of the most idiotically ugly bikes ever conceived by the mind of man, even for a Japanese bike. It looks like a cartoon version of a Ducati Monster welded together at a vo-tech beginners class. Still, I wouldn't mind having one just because of the bang-for-the-buck it offers. Other people have got to have a bike that's pretty (I already have 2 of those) and the new Bonnie is certainly that, or will be when inevitable aftermarket pipes correct her only major flaw. Each to his/her own, and there may be somebody out there who even thinks the SV650 is pretty.

BTW there are quite a few Japanese bikes that don't look so darn functional to me if "functional" means able to go around a curve, park in places a car can't, use less fuel than a car, i.e. things that a motorcycle is *supposed* to do. In fact, some of their biggest sellers look one helluva lot like those 2-wheeled Buicks from Harley-Davidson!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote