Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-21-2001, 07:38 AM   #21
hedgehog
Founding Member

Default about Scarabeo 150 review

Your review of the Scarabeo 150 makes a number of good points, but it's written from a motorcyclist's viewpoint rather than a scooter enthusiast's. While you maintain that the Scarabeo 150 is too large to be a scooter and too small, powerwise, to be a real motorcycle, you must realize that it is intended as a "touring scooter" and occupies the same niche as the Honda Helix or Reflex, and Yamaha Majesty and other "maxi" scooters that are prevalent in Europe but virtually unknown here in the US. My wife and I can travel 2 up all day long at 65mph and the ride is very smooth at speed. The Rotax engine is nothing short of amazing the way it moves the 300+lbs of the bike, and the motorcycle like suspension and touring size seats combine to make longer distance rides not only possible but inviting. We find county highway riding more appealing than interstate cruising from point a to point b and the Scarabeo is perfect for this while still possessing the potential to traverse shorter stretches of freeway where unavoidable. So it comes down to the type of riding you want to do, but basically there is no where a motorcycle can go that the Scarabeo 150 can't, and it still has the Italian scooter character if you are into that as I am. Also this kind of scooter has several historical precedents in the German touring scooters of the fifties and early sixties. It's not everyone's thing and not the image of the rugged easy-rider or the affluent gold-wing tourer but if you like stylin' in a more European or Italian sense, the Aprilia fills the bill.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2001, 11:14 PM   #22
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Scarabeo 150 Reader Feedback

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/helix.html
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 12:38 PM   #23
minime
Founding Member

A small correction, as the woman in the photo is actually 5'7" tall. Sorry about the misinformation.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 11:50 AM   #24
MotorcycleMan
Founding Member

I have to agree with the guy - these photos are really dark and washed out.

I've seen pics of the Scarabeo elsewhere, so I know what it looks like. Not too bad for a scooter actually. Very Vespa-ish.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:52 AM   #25
MotorcycleMan
Founding Member

Default How about a 250 or 350 version?

A 150 is still a bit low on power for even the city.

It might be more interesting with a bigger engine.
Old 05-30-2001, 07:50 AM   #26
mwyoung
Founding Member

Black is the only color we get in the US? Huh? I don't know who you've been talking to, but the Aprilia scooter dealer in Denver has 'em in a number of colors.
mwyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 11:02 AM   #27
Supergome
Founding Member

Don't try to ride a Vespa like a motorcycle. You don't really steer it, you just think about where you need to go.

The first time I ride a motorcycle after a while, it always seems ridiculously slow-steering and ponderous.
Supergome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 03:52 AM   #28
Spooner
Founding Member

Rumors are flying about Real World scooters in the 500CC-650CC range that might finally make it to the U.S.A. True or Rumor? I'd like to test drive a scooter of that size range.
Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 02:29 PM   #29
FlashToo
Founding Member

Check out the Aprilia Atlantic 500 on the Aprilia.com website. My dealer here in Austin tells me that they will be coming in May, 2002. Also, Honda has apparently announced their SilverWing 600 superscooter for the US market. My Honda dealer here is clueless about this announcement even though Honda out it out (put Sliverwing 600 into Google and see what you get).

I'm looking at the Scarabeo 150 for my son here in Austin. I rode it and it delivers enough speed, etc. for here. The size is good, too since it has more road presence than the smaller scooters. I think it's going to be a great ride for him.
FlashToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:44 PM   #30
Kirby
Founding Member

I have complained about the dark pics several times.....but the article and the scoot seems

to be at least a move in the right direction.

I know where is a market for the 50cc models

but here in the states...having a 185cc 4stroke

with 4 speeds would seem to fill the needs much better for this country. In most places...if the speed limit is 40...you get run over if ya go 40. Vespa needs to send over one of their nice bigger scoots. Even Vespa only offers 50cc models also...what gives?

Keep up the GREAT work MO. and brighten up the pics a few notches ! PS...don't use a dark back ground in the pic of a dark color bike...DOH!....