Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-09-2001, 02:44 PM   #51
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Tiger problems, an better solution

you can take the 1150GS offroad, without being able to mudplug it. If you drop it, you're unlikely to bend much. However the Varedero is very much a road only bike, with very soft suspension and a big faring. Drop that in the dirt and get your wallet out to replace the plastic. Great tourer in the R1100RT mould, but no not never ever to be taken offroad....
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2001, 07:56 AM   #52
Willem
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Tiger Reader Feedback

I have recently received my long awaited Tiger 955i, and am still running the motor in. I cannot comment much yet, but I must agree with the turbulence issue, it is very uncomfortable. However I strongly disagree with any vibration issues, my bike runs a smooth as Swiss watch. If you want to know about vibration take a KTM 640 Adventure for a spin, its like riding a sex toyÂ… I owned one when I lived in South Africa, and suffered tremendous numbness on long distance trips, but it was excellent offroad. I also rode a BMW1150 and it was not smooth at all, specially at low RPM, the entire bike was shaking.

I might have bought a BMW if the new Tiger was not on its way, but I now think the Tiger is better value for money, the GS1150 is just not worth what they ask for it in the US. (Other countries are different. In SA the Tiger and GS1150 was almost the same priceÂ….) Makes you think??

Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 04:43 PM   #53
OzMOTO
Founding Member

I'm an 'older' rider from the 'land down under' who likes to sit fairly upright on a bike. I own two Hondas - an ST1100 and a 650 Dominator.

Last weekend I had the opportunity of riding both the Honda Varadero and the new Triumph Tiger (plus numerous other bikes). In my humble opinion the new Tiger was streets ahead of the Varadero - particularly power. Up until then, a Varadero was going to be my next bike - not any more!
OzMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 02:16 AM   #54
oldmxer
Founding Member

I have a 2000 Tiger and it has turned out to be the perfect bike for me. As an old mx'r I like the way it sits and it is smooth on the road which probably is 99.9% of the time. Had a ZX9R which was nice till first ticket, then KLR650 which was not smooth enough on the road. And yes, I do have a gravel driveway, not ten miles though. There's also that shortcut gravel road to the golf course .
oldmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:23 AM   #55
tigerowner
Founding Member

As a Tigerowner I must reply to some of these ramblings to shed some light on the test and on the Tiger.

First, Motorcycle Online and a few other mags were given a short time to evaluate the New Tiger as it was an introduction to the press and not a full fledged road test. So don't bash these guys too bad.

As for the Tiger, I have owned one for the past 1.5 years and saw the new one this past weekend. The changes on the bike are small cosmetically with a better layout in the engine and oil cooler area. I could not ride the new one because Triumph is presently assembleing the one for use as the demo.

I find that most of the comments here are being exagerated to some extent and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The new Tiger got the most attention from the crowd last weekend so the appearances are not bad for everyone.

The facts are that the Tiger does have a buffetting problem, but Givi offers a higher windscreen for $72 as does Triumph. There is some vibration on the bars but is not bothersome and is no more than some other models I test rode. The gauges dissappear for 5 minutes at dawn and dusk. The seat needs a closed cell foam for long > 200 mile rides. So plan on $500 to correct the windshield and seat.

Now for the good. The Tiger handles the city better than any other bike I ever rode (excluding supermotards). Slow speed maneuvers are a breese. You can see over traffic and more importantly traffic can see you. In the canyons, if you are brave enough to toss a tall bike around you will be pleasantly suprised that the bike can corner. In tight curves the dirt bike geometry shines and you can keep up with all but the best sport riders. Fuel economy ranges from 40 to 50 and is better in the canyons and passes than on the freeway. The freeway is where the buffeting is the worst but a windscreen can help there. Acceleration is quick up to 100 where the new Tiger's engine will help out. The old tiger is slightly faster than the beemer and the new one should send it running, but watch out for Aprilia.

Reliability has been excellent. The only trouble I had was with the ignition switch bolt, and footpeg loosening. A little loctite and the problem was solved. Make sure that you have a dealer with a parts dept. Some items can take some time if they are not stocked.

This bike is for those that grew up on dirt and migrated to the street, those who commute , live in the west, or never know where they will end up, and anyone else brave enough to be different. I do not reccomend this bike for those under 5'8" and that is pushing it. I have dropped my bike at slow speeds and scratched some paint. Minor damage for a 500+ lb bike.

The Tiger is not perfect but it is fun and with the new engine watchout. Check it out yourself, you may just find out what europe has been hiding all of these years. Ride one for yourself and be the judge!

David

remotesensing@excite.com

For a good comparison of the 99-00 Tiger go here:

http://www.bikenet-racing.com/sectio...adtests&page=1
tigerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:34 AM   #56
tigerowner
Founding Member

Perhaps we should stick to what we know rather than testing our psychic ability.
Old 05-15-2001, 03:33 AM   #57
Willem
Founding Member

Default Well said!!

Congratulation, some good unbiased feedback.

I have been riding my new Tiger 955I for a week now and your comments are on the number!! I am still running-in the motor, so I cannot comment on the power yet, but up to 6000rpm it is already impressive.

I am doing a trip to the Florida Keys this weekend and will post my comments on the bike next week. Then it should have 900 miles on the clock and I will be able to give proper feedback.

Willem

Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 05:01 AM   #58
tigerowner
Founding Member

Default Re: Well said!!

Thanks for the input. Keep in touch and let us know your experiences. Feel free to send an e-mail (posted in my original post)

David
Old 05-23-2001, 01:25 PM   #59
scotstiger
Founding Member

OK! OK! If it's not Milwaukee metal, it shouldn't be in America - HOGWASH!!. In a land where the roads are dead straight & wide, you guy's must get bored real quick, especially at 55 MPH. Get a life, get a Tiger!

I've spent the last 3 years on a Mk1 & now a 2000 Tiger, exellent bikes. But we have an advantage where the majority of our time can be spent on fast & twisty A roads where the benefits of high positioning and excellent roadholding can be enjoyed to the full. I'll definetly be test riding the new 955 tiger, to compare in my own environment.

The new Triumph line-up is awesome, having just spent the last 4 weeks and approx 1600mls with the latest Sprint ST, I thoroughly enjoyed using and abusing the power and torque available, so much so, the rear BT57 has almost expired.

I will buy another Triumph next year, it will probably be a tiger, but after the last month I would consider the Sprint ST, or even the Daytona!! if my licence could stand it. One last point, - Do you think Triumph have made a bad move by junking the single sided swing arm ? - I'd be tempted to retrofit one to the new Daytona.
scotstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 08:22 PM   #60
waldopepper
Founding Member

You called the Tiger Ugly! I checked out the link, sorry, but that looks like the Honda Vara-ugly to me. AND we probably wouldn't date the same girl, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder otherwise we would all have the SAME thing. How boring!

P.S. Own a Triumph Sprint, no problems, get parts just fine, found aftermarket stuff, like Triple growl, TIRED of turning Japaneze!
waldopepper is offline   Reply With Quote