Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-11-2001, 02:57 AM   #81
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

In your post you say you don't own a sport bike...That just about sums it all up then doesn't it.

doohan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2001, 03:16 AM   #82
EXUP
Founding Member

When it comes down to it, most people just buy what that like the most. Let the look, performance, or the value of the bike be the factor. Frankly, Gixer just doesn't look as good as R1, and the performance gain isn't great enough to sway me her way. I mean, you'll have to look at it everyday once you own it. It cool that some guys value function over look, but in most cases, most guys rather be with a pretty gul than a butt-ulgy super woman. Hey that's just me, others might love the way Gixer copy everything that Yamaha is doing, same rear cowl, same dash, and oh, for the first time, a exhust valve to boost mid-range. Why don't they just buy a bunch of R1 chasis and rebadge it????????

By the way, I lapped Willow at 1:29.56 on my stock '98 R1, I don't even have rear-sets on, and the the pegs does drag in turn 3,4,5, but only slightly. If the Gixer guys want to pass me after turn 9, its okay, 'cause for most sports riders, the fun's in the corner. If not, get youself a 'busa or 12R and be the "drag queen" of the month.
EXUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:20 AM   #83
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default WHY?

Can't we all just get along?
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:23 AM   #84
Hamrhd
Founding Member

Bravvo dude ! Thats my point exactly. Which is the best outright, not opinions.
Hamrhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:26 AM   #85
Donster
Founding Member

Default RE: ZX-9....it was a YZF1000,

I believe someone by the name of Don Canet was riding that day. (could be wrong
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:37 AM   #86
Donster
Founding Member

Default Nah! That would be boring. ;)

Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:39 AM   #87
baker
Founding Member

Default Re: WHY?

You should become a peace negotiator. Take a trip to the Middle East, The Balkans or Ireland and ask that same question. The question in hand is whether the Yamaha is better than the Suzuki? The answer is NO, and that is the whole point - PROPAGANDA - the source of all arguments. But it is just the writer’s opinion - as is every ‘story’. I could write an article comparing a Yamaha R1 and a Honda CG125 - and claim that the performance of the 125 is more usable than that of the R1’s and that the CG125's mirrors are better than the R1’s & then conclude that the CG125 is the far superior bike - but I'd be totally missing the point - as is MO with its bs report.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:48 AM   #88
LoganGixY2K
Founding Member

Default Re: WHY?

OOUUUCCCHHHH!!!

On the other hand....

This will probably reduce the demand for GSXR1000 thanks to the consumers that base their purchase on these kind of articles.

what's that? $1000 less for the R1?!?! I'll take one, 'cuz Mo sayz itz the beztezt of bikezzz. HEHEHEHHHHEHEEEE
LoganGixY2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:49 AM   #89
baker
Founding Member

The GSXR1000 beats the R1 in every department apart from looks. You are obviously pissed off cause Suzuki brought out a bike that will out power and out corner your bad handling heap of crap. You are going on about the funs in the corners - if thats the case why did you buy an R1 - why not buy a 600. You bought an R1 cause you are only concerned with posing. And I garnet you the GSXR1000 can carry more corner speed than a R1.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:54 AM   #90
Louwtjie
Founding Member

Default Leaders of their class

Hi there.

Your article on the litre class bikes are very interesting, so much so that I've made a paper copy and will read through it again toningt at home.

I read everything concerning bikes I can get my hands on, and your article are so different from all the others... which is good and bad.

I've got a couple of comments I'd like to make about testing bikes, and your test specificly.

1. Your impression/rating of the Fireblade is odd. Most reviews rave about the bike, especially in real world conditions. Isn't that what most of the readers wanted.

Personally I'm not a fan of the bike, but it seems to do well. In fact an editor of a big mag in the UK commented after reviewing the GSXR in a litre bike shootout: "The GSXR is a superior bike to the R1, for that matter, the 929 are better as well."

2. The reason for bashing the GSXR are not clear to me. It's mean, it's fast, it handles well... has brilliant stoppers ... therefor it's second to the R1 ?

This after most mags agree that the Fireblade will take a mere motal like myself faster round a track than a R1 ... "The R1 is very fast round a track, but let's you know in no uncertian terms that he's still the boss ... either with a shake of the head, a power slide or a unsuspected wheelie"

That makes it clear to me ( looking at the dyno curves ) that the Gixxer might overwhelm the rookie easier than the R1 does. So, you might have a point there.

3. The Kawa ( and I know this ) are not up to the task anymore. More people agree that Kawasaki will have to do something to beef it up. But in that statement comes the problem. I'm sure Kawa can create a litre bike like the GSXR without a sweat. But, as nice as that sounds, you just said that's not good enough.

So what will Kawasaki do ?

4. I think there are a difference between sport bikes and race replicas. The Suzuki ( own the track ! ) and the Yamaha are much more race replicas than they are sport bikes... the only bike still deep in the sports class are the Kawasaki. Which apparently isn't good enough anymore. What to do ?

5. I've only been on a R1 off all the above mentioned bikes. And only for 30 minutes of riding. It's not practical ( which these bikes aren't suppose to be ), it isn't great in handling real roads, even with a damper the thing rattle and rolls... and if your not planning to do trackdays with regular intervals ( leave the wife at home on this bike ), it's not really worth the money.

Last remark:

Why not measure 1/4 miles, top speed runs, lap times ?
Louwtjie is offline   Reply With Quote