Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-11-2001, 01:28 AM   #71
Azrifel
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

Bimota is bankrupt, so why test something you cannot buy anymore. Even the ordered V-Due isn't handed out to a racing friend.

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2001, 01:54 AM   #72
DCH3HASHER
Founding Member

Agreed ('cause I'm 6"5" as well.) I ride a CBRXX because I fit on it. The fact that it also comes with a motor capable of pushing my eyeballs back into their sockets in any gear is immaterial. Sort of.
DCH3HASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 02:07 AM   #73
baker
Founding Member

What make and model of a bike do you ride?
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 02:11 AM   #74
patm
Founding Member

Yes, It's from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" wich pre-dated "Army of Darkness" by about 30 years.

patm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 02:13 AM   #75
Janet
Founding Member

I'm in agreement with you here, but it poses an interesting question/dilemma of road testing in general.

I live in the UK and, until last October, I owned a '98 R1. I wasn't scared of it, but it was really too fast for the roads in my neighbourhood. I traded it for a TL1000-engined Cagiva Raptor - though not for those reasons - the Raptor was just more fun.

I'm actually still running the Raptor in (we've had some awful weather here) and am rarely exceeding 7000 rpm, even on acceleration through the gears (redline is 10300). However, given the nature of our roads, I'm already finding that my speed both round tightish corners and on straights coming out of corners where mid-range counts is often higher on the Raptor, even though it feels less frenetic.

Magazine roadtesters spend a lot more time motorcycling than the rest of us who have more mundane day-jobs. This inevitably means that their experience with any particular bike will be vastly different from the average man/woman in the street. Perhaps the only way to have a really useful road test is to round up a cross section of motorcyclists from a local biker haunt and see what they think.

I'm quite willing to help with this, as I'm in a generous mood, provided you'll pay my fare over there!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 02:20 AM   #76
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

ABNOXIOUS??? What does that mean. Anyway, it takes no skill to control a bike in a straight line. Sure the GSXR will pull away from the R1 in a straight line, but not by much unless your already doing 160 mph. Second, what MO is trying to say is when it comes to twisty roads and race tracks, the GSXR is a hand full while the R1 is more rewarding, if not also a handful, just not as much of a handful.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 02:24 AM   #77
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Well Said Brent. Ever tried getting your first license in a 2002 Dodge Viper?
Old 04-11-2001, 02:37 AM   #78
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

That's the one I remember, the YZF1000 got spanked by the Viper. The only thing i remember the bike winning was 0-120 mph and past that viper won. Also, the Bike stopped quicker, but other than that, the Viper won.
Old 04-11-2001, 02:40 AM   #79
Chester
Founding Member

Hey MO, since everyone that posts seems to only have negative things to say, maybe you should run two tests. First, you could have the test that you posted, it was good, the R1 won, great. Since no one seems to post anything positive, dont allow posts about your test.

Now, for the second part you should let all the crybabies vote for what bike is the best, and you can post those results, allowing people to comment. Now you wont be verbally assaulted for having an opinion.

Keep up the good work. I enjoyed the article. Even though the R1 won, I would buy a GSXR just because I would like to experience it, but I still enjoyed the article and completely understand what you said.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 02:51 AM   #80
doohan
Founding Member

What do you expect from a guy only riding 2 years?? Probably slows down to about 20 and puts his feet down in the turns....don't laugh I see

newbie squids doing that all the time. Well ok....laugh, I do as I go sailing past them !
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote