Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-10-2001, 03:39 PM   #41
Hamrhd
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

Are you testers a bunch of wusses or what ? The object of the test is to see which is the best bike period ! Power, power to weight, handling,lap times. NOT which one doesn't scare your sissy ass the most. If you can't take the heat go and test mopeds ! Or hire some real professionals to do your testing. I'm sure Mladdin, Hayden , Yates, etc wouldn't rate the bike down on there list because of the "scare" factor. Ive owned a R-1, and 929 and they were both good bikes , but my Suzuki will be in next week ! I can get you guys a deal on mass quantities of depends if you'd like..
Hamrhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2001, 03:44 PM   #42
streetlegal
Founding Member

Why rank bikes, ostensibly on performance, if you cannot rank the bike with the highest score using your criteria number 1?

You either have the wrong criteria, or you are just changing the result to avoid repeating what other people have said.

If your criteria includes rideability, ease of use, etc. then why weren't the bikes objectively evaluated with that criteria? Wouldn't that put the bike which is easier to ride a lot higher? Wouldn't that bike not even be an Open class bike to begin with? Isn't it true that Roland Sands did nearly identical laptimes on the 600 as he did on the 1000 at an earlier test?

The fact is, there is a very big "usability" issue with bikes today. I have criticized the GSXR1000 for this since last fall, pointing out that the 600 is obviously going to be faster.

Why not make the whole point of your article on this useability problem, instead of just reversing the conclusion without any supporting argument?
streetlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 03:56 PM   #43
crg
Founding Member

Default Excellent idea...

I seem to recall a comparo a while back that pitted some bikes and sports cars on a track. I think the Viper held up amazingly well for it's ability to maintain high corner speeds.

Of course, that was a couple years back, so it's a bit hazy...
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 04:02 PM   #44
censored
Founding Member

Should I write the relevant feedback I have in mind, or will that just get deleted by MO's censors too?
censored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 04:03 PM   #45
crg
Founding Member

When the R-1 first came out, as powerful and razor sharp as it was(is), reviews were very similar. Everyone said they could pull away on the liter bike in the straights, but admitted they wouldn't be as confident carrying that speed through the corners.

A few years from now, the Gixxer 1000 will get points for having accessible power compared to the "latest and greatest" open classer.

That's the nature of a comparison.
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 04:13 PM   #46
ckirk
Registered Member

Excellent idea for the reasons you have already considered! A trace of the fast lines for the car & the bike would be interesting as some of us bike guys square the corners. If you could hook up with PCA & the BMW club you could get front & rear engined lines as well as the bike's.
ckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 04:34 PM   #47
FieryErmine
Founding Member

Default Why no lap times?

I think best laps by the different guys of different skills and on the different bikes would be informative and interesting. Why don't you guys show lap times?
FieryErmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 05:28 PM   #48
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Yes,

I too read the comparo a few years ago between a Viper and a ZX-9 (I think. Seems most autojournalists think that the ZX-9 is the baddest bike, for whatever reason.) If I remember correctly, the Viper handed the 9 it's butt on a platter whenever they came to a corner. It was easier to go faster in the car (albeit a high-dollar performance car) on the road, since a little skid doesn't mean you'll get thrown on the road into oncoming traffic when you're in a car. Naturally, the bike spanked the Viper in 1/4 mile times, but that was about it. Of course, to achieve this, they had to use a car with a list price of over 6 times that of the bike.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 05:53 PM   #49
gixerlogan
Founding Member

I think this post from minime should have been at the beginning of this article:

"I will attempt to quell this all right now. A tall order no doubt, tee, hee:

A while ago, we posted a reader poll that asked how readers wanted shootouts weighted. Their (your) answer? A street bias -- NOT a track/ultimate performance bias. And with that, as is noted in the comparo, the R1 is a better bike for most people in most situations, though the edge does go to the GSX-R at the limit under controlled conditions. but, again, that's not how the majority of MO readers wanted shootouts weighted.

Phew. OK. I think that's about it, then.

Cheers, all! Now go ride! "

Having said that, the average Joe (majority of the people who voted), will most likely in some kind of trouble with the 1000 than with the R1.

It's OK MO, unlike most riders, I got a bunch of canyons in my backyard My vote goes to the 1000. I used to owned an R1 also(for the record).

I have 25+ of riding experience and I can see where people can easily go with the R1. I guess it's too bad Suzuki didn't come up with a Katana 1000 to go against the R1, huh?
gixerlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 06:04 PM   #50
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Didn't the Viper throw a rod also?

I think they also raced through some canyon on public roads? (Angeles Crest? I am from Denver so I don't know the name) I remember something about some gravel on the roads not helping the zx9.

I also remember a Motorcyclist article that had a Acura NSX versus a 93 CBR900RR. I belive the RR turned some faster times, but the NSX had a much higher corner speed. (but it leaned the wrong way

I would like to see a bike versus car test with telemetry around Willow (both tracks would be great). We know the bike will smoke the cars in 0-100-0, but what about lap times?
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote