Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-10-2001, 02:52 PM   #31
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

Something of interest, perhaps:

I was out at Willow Springs last weekend when the PCA (Porsche Club of America) was out there running. We even got fast guy Don ****er to take HackFu out for a few hot laps at the end of the day.

Anyway, the lap times of some of the cars were similar, but it's HOW they went that speed that's most interesting. More than just comparing lap times, I'm trying to get together a car (perhaps a Porsche) and a bike that turn similar lap times. Outfit each vehicle with full telemetry and then see who's fastest where and why. I think that'd be more intriguing and we'd learn more about car vs. bike dynamics. Thoughts?
minime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2001, 02:55 PM   #32
john
Founding Member

Brave New World......lol
Old 04-10-2001, 02:55 PM   #33
sqidbait
Founding Member

Riddle me this: If you aren't skilled enough to handle the GSX-R1000 and smash it up, and your buddy rolls happily along on another bike, which is faster?

-----------

So if my buddy putts happily along on a

NightHawk...

I guess that means that the CB750 is the king

of open classers?

I'd have to agree with the others. If the GSXR is

the best open class bike - independant of rider

skill - then it should have won.

If the question is not "what is the best open class

bike", but rather what is the bike that 99%

of the population can go fastest on, then

maybe the real winner should have been an

R6 or SV650...

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:56 PM   #34
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Since when are the postings censored/edited?

We've had profanity filters for a long time, mostly because it's annoying and if you can't say what you mean without explicatives, you shouldn't say it.

Also, though, consider the mindless proxy firewalling NetNannies of the world: They troll ones content for "Bad" words and block your site if they find them. So, the best thing to do is not let those types of words be found, otherwise, for many of our readers, it'd be no MO no more.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:57 PM   #35
granny
Founding Member

To answer your koan - if the question is *who* is faster, it might depend on how fast the EMS vehicle is (e.g., a helicopter). The real answer is don't try to ride any bike aggressively until you are capable of doing so (perhaps patience is not a skill you youngsters yet possess). From sitting on one in a dealership, the ergos of the GSX-R ergos seem similar to those of a 916 but less committed. A 916 is not a hard bike to ride fast, so I don't see the problem. Uh, that brings up a question, why not do the measurements of the triangle (the vertices being the bars, seat and pegs) like other publications do? It might not address other issues such as center of gravity or steering damper stiffness (both of which seem to be of concern in your review) but it would help. Not intended as criticism of your review or the R1.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:59 PM   #36
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Numbers play a factor, of course... but it's ALWAYS gotta be about the bike. And lets face it, MO readers clearly let MO know that they wanted their tests to be street-biased, and it seems to me that they gave us exactly what the majority asked for.

Old 04-10-2001, 03:03 PM   #37
minime
Founding Member

I will attempt to quell this all right now. A tall order no doubt, tee, hee:

A while ago, we posted a reader poll that asked how readers wanted shootouts weighted. Their (your) answer? A street bias -- NOT a track/ultimate performance bias. And with that, as is noted in the comparo, the R1 is a better bike for most people in most situations, though the edge does go to the GSX-R at the limit under controlled conditions. but, again, that's not how the majority of MO readers wanted shootouts weighted.

Phew. OK. I think that's about it, then.

Cheers, all! Now go ride!

Old 04-10-2001, 03:16 PM   #38
uncleron
Founding Member

I have to take exception to the "porky Hayabusa" comment. I know a 'busa weighs a little bit more than these bikes, but I like big bikes, and my 'busa is still more flickable than my old XLCH.
uncleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 03:21 PM   #39
minime
Founding Member

It's all relative...
Old 04-10-2001, 03:21 PM   #40
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Since when are the postings censored/edited?

I would comment that the filter seems to have a non-uniform view of what is profane and what is not. But that's the problem of censorship, what is and what is not to be supressed. I see a lonely yellow ducati sitting outside my window and leathers hanging on a hook on the wall; riding well will be my revenge on you
granny is offline   Reply With Quote