Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-10-2001, 01:47 PM   #21
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

It doesn't matter that the average Joe/Josephine can't use the GSX-R (or R1, 929RR, etc.) to it's fullest extent on the first ride, what matters is the continuous effort, ride after ride to master the machine. Another point is that very few decisions are made purely on the basis of logic; if so, no one would ride motorcycles (motorcycles being quite arguably illogical). So it's a matter of how illogical you'll allow yourself to be. As for myself? I say, damn the torpedoes, hell yes I'd like a GSX-R. I love being scared

Klaatu Barada Nikto
granny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2001, 01:50 PM   #22
bluedot
Founding Member

This isn't about "a bike"

It's an open class shootout. And in that sense, it should be (among other things) about numbers.

For an entry in an open class shootout to receive the comment "it was intimadating" or "it humbled me" should be a positive and not a negative.

This isn't a test of which bike is best for 90% of the population to ride.

It's a test of who brought the biggest, baddest gun to the fight. That's what open class is about.

Now if the bike had crappy brakes or poor manners fine, then it should not win just on the numbers. But for it to loose simply because the MO staff thinks were more likely to kill ourselves on it because it's too damn fast it kinda lame.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the R1 winning. It's just the reasons it won that don't make sense to me.
bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 01:53 PM   #23
minime
Founding Member

Klaatu Barada Nikto, indeed. Heh, heh.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 01:57 PM   #24
bluedot
Founding Member

Default Isn't that company out of business ?

Last I read there were a whole lot of TL motors looking for a new home.

Sad .. they built some beautiful bikes.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:05 PM   #25
blip
Founding Member

If it was just about numbers, I could strap nitrous on a Honda and win everything. It wouldn't be very ridable, might not be comfortable, and you'd probably destroy it. But if it's just about numbers, I'd win every time, and sell bazillions of them, right? What's the point of even testriding a bike, or trying on a helmet before you buy. Purchase the fastest bike sight unseen, and but the lightest helmet you can get. Damn the "fitment" and "usability" stuff, that's for wimps.

The R1 won because it's easier to go faster on, and we believe that 99% of the population base _will go faster on it_ than the GSX-R, and with much less likelyhood of wadding it into a little ball.

Riddle me this: If you aren't skilled enough to handle the GSX-R1000 and smash it up, and your buddy rolls happily along on another bike, which is faster?

blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:07 PM   #26
purdueme
Founding Member

I was just wondering what kind of lap times the bikes turned at willow springs. I've got a little wager with some friends on the whole motorcycle vs. car issue. I'm trying to get all the data I can, lap times are hard to come by.
purdueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:18 PM   #27
granny
Founding Member

Default Since when are the postings censored/edited?

Huh, maybe I missed the announcement, perhaps I should commend MO on it's new found morality. According to my netscape "Go" list, I ended the above submission with a phrase similar to "I loved being scared shirtless". In the posting, I see that the word similar to "shirtless" was omitted. Looks suspiciously like censorship to me. Maybe I'll have to write "in the f's" or use "igpay atinlay" when I find need to write "itshay" (see if you can find any of those words with a regular expression .
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:41 PM   #28
bluedot
Founding Member

Well, I'd say if Honda released a 180hp turbo 929 that handled the power as well as the Suzuki does then crown it king.

Again, it's not just about numbers.

But an open class shootout shouldn't factor in whether or not 90% of the population is skilled enough to handle the power. Not to say it's not a completely valid statement mind you .. it's 100% true.

How about this example: the new Porsche GT2 (which Porsche admits is too much car for all but maybe 5 people in the world) How would the new cover of Car and Driver have looked saying "The fastest Porsche ever built, but don't aspire for one, get the Carrera instead cause you might hurt yourself"

Maybe it's just how I see it ... oh well
Old 04-10-2001, 02:43 PM   #29
Tristan7
Founding Member

Motorcyclist, Cycle World, and Sport Rider usually list their lap times at Willow. You must be one of those living in the utopian paperless society. What's the future like? I bet it sucks.
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 02:52 PM   #30
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Isn't that from "The Day the Earth Stood Still"?