Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-12-2001, 04:52 PM   #271
PostMortemElvis
Founding Member

Default Re: Why this review convinced me to buy a ZX9R!

Personally, I dont make purchases based upon the opinions of zines, salesmen, or tabloids. I traded for an R1 because I like the bike, not because someone said that it was the fastest, most comfortable, ect. I went to a reputable multiple brand dealership and tested the kawi, honda, suzuki, and yamaha. I will grant you, they were far more willing to deal on the 9R but I just didnt like the bike. Fit and finish seemed seemed a bit lacking compared to the others and it felt larger on the road, thats not to say that it is not a great bike, Im sure it is. It took me only a couple of miles to rule the 929 out, I have been seated on far more comfortable high school bleachers. The 929 handled great but damn, I don't understand why everyone says this bike is so comfortable... the seat is a brick. By the way, my trade in was a '98 S1WL and even it was more comfortable. That left the R1 and GSXR, both fit me well and handled traffic with ease. Neither had cardboard thin saddles but the riding position of the R1 was just a bit more upright. In the end it came down to aestetics and price. I loved the look of both bikes but prefered the R1 and negotiated a thousand dollar price break that could not be established with the GSXR. The only gripe that I have with the yamaha is that the pegs are a little too far forward but the rearsets should be arriving any day. I am happy with my purchase and have logged many miles on the R1 as I commute to work and enjoy frequent extended trips. And yes, this bike is comfortable enough for an eight hundred plus mile a day trip. Anyone who about their wrists hurting on a sportbike needs to spend more time on their ab-roller or whatever contraption that might build up their abdominal and back muscles enough to support their upper body as opposed to placing all their weight on the clip ons. If not, buy a cruiser or stop complaining. Ok back to the point, I get around forty miles per gallon cruising at ninety MPH. Ive been hit by a few rocks and have yet to find any chips in the paint. Valve adjustment intervals on an R1 are at twenty six thousand miles so I cant really comment on the cost. There is a bit of vibration in the mirrors while cruising over one hundred twenty MPH which blurs the image enough to miss a state police vehicle. Wind protection is sufficient in full tuck, though I have considered installing an aftermarket shield. Pillion riders are going to be uncomfortable on most all sport bikes on long trips, this bike more than some others. Anyway, all these bikes are great. How fortunate are we to have bikes that turn these numbers, handle this well, and choose our favorites on nitpick points?
PostMortemElvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2001, 03:55 PM   #272
jackski
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

Good review. But as I say to all my journalist chums each to his own. You guys live in as different an area as mine. Any of these bikes can beat the next depending on the chosen road around here (assuming equal pilots). My preference was the GSXR although it did take 2 track days to get the front suspension dailed to feel as good as any I've rode. If you don't like the slower feel on the tight stuff replace or disconnect the damper. It becomes almost too fast and doesn't shake it head (as long as the allignment is good). My marks on the swing arm were out by almost 1 notch. After 5000mi and no problems, I must say I don't know how I could have more fun!
jackski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 04:20 AM   #273
latin700duc
Founding Member

Amen............most of the girls complaining about the gixxer not coming in first are the squids that would be to scared or to inexperianced to put a (fast lap ) down anywhere. Anyone can go straight fast but does the lean put a scream in the heart when it comes down to it.
latin700duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 08:13 AM   #274
max-9
Founding Member

thanx for the info

i come here often to see what you guys think , it may not be the only info i get on a bike before i buy one , but it is a great help . its gotta be more than just specs or looks when i buy a bike . its the overall package . your article confirmed my choice when i decided to buy my new 2001 R1 . all the bikes you tested i consider great machines , each with its own charecter . for me the R1 is perfect . i like the looks , the power , the handling , all in all i just like the whole pakage . plus i like the yamaha product , ive owned yams before and i find them very reliable .

thanx for making your reviews more than just race results ,
max-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 01:46 PM   #275
Ducati748Girl
Founding Member

Where's the video?!? It doesn't seem to be posted on your ftp server anymore.
Ducati748Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:45 AM   #276
rvec
Founding Member

Just bought a 2000 ZX9 myself, it was b/w the 929 & the ZX9. ZX9 came out ontop for recreational riding with the 19ltr tank. Great pillion comfort with the semi mean headlights & all the other comfort mods. Couldn't have made a better choice
rvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 10:41 PM   #277
gelhayek
Registered Member

Default Why buy a twin?

Why would someone buy a twin as opposed to a 4 banger? It seems to be common belief that twins are torquier but looking at the dyno charts of the 954 vs. the RC51 they look to be very similar. Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between these two types of engines? Ie. Why would you buy one over the other?? Is it a simple taste thing or is there something else I am missing?
gelhayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 08:21 PM   #278
i9694keeps
Founding Member

Default Re: Uhhh...huh?

I agree the build quality on Suzuki"s are poor!! I work at a dealership in MICH..

And the"re always in for recalls and etc"s

And it kills me to see guy"s buying open class

bikes for there first bike.but I can look on the bright side after they drop it or ***** the pants... I buy it cheap replace the rear brake padd"s cuz 80% of them don"t know how to ride anyway...
i9694keeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 01:54 PM   #279
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Sorry- I'm not into movies that pre-date me.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:57 PM   #280
Mark_Lopez
Founding Member

This may not belong here but I am going to try anyhow. I live in Kuwait where I work for Uncle Sam. I recently bought a RC-51. Seems like the rich kid who had it was scared of it. So he traded it for... you guessed it, an 954. Anyhow, his loss is my gain. I got a healthy break on the price with only 270 miles on the clock. I love the bike. Its my third sport bike and my fifth bike overall. I have never riden a twin since my Virago. Man do they rock. My Busa was not this much fun!

Anyway, the reason I am writing is because I want some advice on modifications. I am looking at a couple of Slip on RS-3 race cans by Yosh and a Commander 3r. Any advice would be appreciated. Im not into the bling bling madness. Keep the crome and polish and give me numbers on the dyno. I am an average rider and I cruise to work on this bike so I cant go too radical. Will race cans make this bike unlivable?

Mark_Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote