Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-16-2001, 11:09 AM   #241
dpksn0
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

Wussy, with a P!!! The power is not the problem of the Gixxer, it is your ham fisted right hand, throttle control young one is what it is all about. Actually, what your saying is that 24yr olds and less are probably too immature to handle the power of the GSXR1000 responsibly, unless they posses the skill of young Nicky Hayden, which you and I don't. Are you going to say that a Dodge Viper is too much for you as well, probably is, as most inexperienced drivers keep the pedal floored or take their foot off the accelerator when in trouble, losing traction on the rear and crashing, just like most bikes.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2001, 11:48 AM   #242
Twitchy
Founding Member

Default There's subjective and then there's...

Re the 929, you said "It's also got a fuel-injection glitch that, while not readily apparent at the track, did annoy us a bit in street riding situations." You give no details about this serious flaw, and nowhere in your 929 solo test did you mention anything of the kind; on the contrary, you gave the throttle response a rave review.

Too many 6-packs at the track, doodz?
Twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 11:56 AM   #243
dpksn0
Founding Member

Default Why this review convinced me to buy a ZX9R!

I bought the ZX9R two days after MO's review. You might ask yourself, why, it came in last two years in a row? Well, let me tell you. I owned a '99 GSXR750 for two years and ended up with very sore wrists and hands all the time. I hated the seating position. It handled great, would stay with or out accelerate most stock R1's, I loved the looks on R1's owners faces when a 750 passed them, and was very reliable. I wanted to get the ZX9R last year, but waited a year due to all the poor reviews of it compared to the R1 and 929, and now this year is the same. I asked several owners and shops about the ZX9R for two years to see if anyone complained about the ZX9's carb problem, the answer is NO every single time. If I look at numbers the ZX9R weighs 10-20lbs more, depending on whose scale its on, makes the same horsepower or more as the 929 and R1, depending on whose dyno its on and how the engine is broken-in, and has the most comforatable setup for the street. Do you know the weight of riders varies from 150lbs to 220lbs, so where is 10-20 pounds going to make a difference I ask? People complain then that it is top heavy, well this helps stability on the street more than the track as you won't fall into slower turns as easy. After I read this review I considered the R1 for a day and here are the reasons it did not get bought. It is the most stolen, the most recognized by insurance companies as highly crashed bikes, one of the most uncomfortable outside the GSXR, the least wind protection for driving to and from work, and has a seat like that is cardboard thin in the ass, so how could anyone feel comfortable after an hour ride? I sat on it for 20 minutes on the showroom, reminded me of the GSXR in many ways, ass up, weight on the wrists, but not as bad, and not only that, but every single Yamaha dealer thinks they are gold and refuse to sell an R! for less than $10,299.00, I only paid $8699.00 for the ZX9R, $1600.00 difference, that is big. If you can reply to this with an honest reply and tell me what percentage of your riding is spent in the race environment where these bikes were tested by MO, as compared to the street where we use them, than I will give you respect, otherwise if most of your time is spent on the track, you don't need to read MO to know what bike is faster, you should already know what bike works best on the track for you, or you are just flat lying to yourself on how you ride. The people that read MO are street riders that like to imitate track riding on the street, but only a fraction of the time they actually ride, so why buy a bike for the street that is best on the track? This is how MO should rate these bikes, quarter miles times, top speed?, 60-80mph top gear roll-ons, wheelie capability and stability doing so, maintenance costs, reliability, manufacturing quality, comfort, wind protection, how loud each bike is under full acceleration, fuel consumption per tank under normal driving, stopping distances, brake pad wear and rotor durability to resist warping, quality of shocks to resist leaking, chain/sprocket durability, valve adjustment intervals and cost to get them adjusted factored in, vibration of the engine through the frame and hands, passenger () comfort but not a 100lb woman, an average 125-135lb 5'5" woman, gawk factor, and finish quality to withstand the elements like blasting down the highway at 150mph, does the paint chip easily, resist pitting more than another model, etc... These are real world results that everyone would enjoy and like to know, but track times are nice too just so we know which is the best at the track as well. I don't think anyone here really considers all of these when buying a bike, but we would if it were available, and the manufacturers like Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, and the others would make better bikes because someone was actually reviewing the entire bike for more than speed and feel, but durability and quality, as of now that just build them as they deem necessary, auto makers build and adjust cars to meet the markets demand, as Honda and Toyota have build quality, but Porsche and Ferrari make powerful engines, etc... Lets get real results, not just the track factor.
Old 04-16-2001, 12:32 PM   #244
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Tests vs. specs

Can I point out that looks and style are very much subjective. So giving any weight to them at all is really stupid, because everybody is going to have different opinions. Sure a majority may hate the looks of one bike, but those that like the looks think they are just as right.

As for your other comments, well I don't think that MO is that great. They provide good information, but I think they missed the boat on this one. If street biased, should have been 929, if not should have been the Gixxer. Ranking the Gixxer behid the R1 because it is too much is wrong. If they do that consistently, the R1 should have had the same thing when it was released.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 02:44 PM   #245
richardr6
Founding Member

i agree Steve. If Mo didn't want to hear us whinning they would pull the "reply" and keep us from posting
richardr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 03:30 AM   #246
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Honestly,

I share your sentiment, but I think you missed the point with this article.

MO seems, to me at least, to write articles with a centrist view.....they provide details about track behavior, street comfort, 1/4 mile times, etc. etc. etc...

They seem to approach articles with this mindset: "OK, I'm a consumer...I can afford to buy and I want to buy a *liter/600/value/cruiser/whatever* bike...but I can only buy one....which one will most likely give me, the buyer, the best chance of being perfectly happy....given that I can't test ride bikes ..."

I think that the reader feedback section is left as is...with all the beetching and moaning, because in the midst of all that, there's more info for a potential consumer about the bikes in question!

Did you guys look through here and see all the different comments from owners about their bikes and bikes they've owned? Even with all the complaining, a lot of these folks were able to inject their own experiences with these bikes into the fray...which can only help John Q. Squidley (public) decide which crotch cannon he/she wants to ride!
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 04:22 AM   #247
Pizzabox
Founding Member

I didn't ride the GSX-R yet.

But it's strange that over here in Europe all mags write that the Zook is 10x easier to ride as the R1, almost user-friendly like the CBR 929.

So I wonder if the US version is somehow different.

Anyway, if you look at the results of the 24 hours of Le Mans, 1st and 3rd place went to a more or less stock GSX-R 1000, 2nd place for the works Honda VTR1000.

Given this results and the fact that the race was held under bad conditions, i.e. rain, cold weather etc. I think that maybe all that moto-journos that crashed the bike just took it over the edge in terms of their riding skills rahter than the bike.
Pizzabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 12:39 PM   #248
dnakase
Founding Member

You write:

"98% of the buyers of any of these open class bikes are not capable of taking a R6, GSXR 6 or even a SV650 to it's limits so why should we worry here ?"

Hey! I resemble that remark!

But I have to say after breaking in my SV650s I feel its made me a better rider WITHOUT wadding up me or it.
dnakase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 05:35 PM   #249
BladeRR
Founding Member

Default U need help!!

What is your problem? If you don't like what they have to say then don't donate and don't read their articles. Oh, let me guess...you have a fragile ego and you own a Gixxer1000?? One word, Lithium.
BladeRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 11:27 AM   #250
BladeRR
Founding Member

Default Well put...I agree

I agree with your additions to the score card. It would give us wannabe's a much better idea of how some of these conclusions were drawn instead of the "I've been riding longer than you and I race so I know what's what and that's that."
BladeRR is offline   Reply With Quote