Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-12-2001, 02:30 PM   #211
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh the shame

Where did I say hp makes lap times? I didn't say it. Everything you've responded to were assumptions of yours, not anything I actually said.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2001, 02:48 PM   #212
starturtle
Founding Member

Default Re: What MO doesn

That's right, I posted 3x this time in 3 different locations to see if they all get pulled.

Notably, my posts didn't get pulled but the Yamaha ads on the MO homepage and within the open bike shootout have all been strangely replaced with KOA ads...go figure...

In addition, MO also didn't so much as acknowledge this post either.
starturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 02:58 PM   #213
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Goes without saying

that the street doesn't breed track skills.

That said, I'd make that same bet you did with any racer, in the traffic of my choosing.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 03:19 PM   #214
BladeRR
Founding Member

Default Is 929 BHP correct?

Did I read the bhp correct at 120? A buddy of mine recently dyno'd his and it was 127. When I rode his bike the day he got it I have to say I wasn't impressed with the power. However, after it was properly broken in I swear there was an increase in power. It did NOT feel like the same bike. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe if MO included a bike that wasn't so deficient in power it may have faired better in the test.
BladeRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 04:01 PM   #215
spikedlemon
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

What ever happened to a street bias? If so, you openly admitted that the 9R and 929 would be best suited as street bike - now why rank them for the track?

On another note, do you guys purposely ignore the rest of the motorcycling world outside of Japan? I see no Tiumph Daytona, no Duc 996 / 900SS, no Aprilia Millie / Falco, no Benelli, no Buell X1 ...

All these bikes (maybe not the 900ss) should have a fair shot at best bike when weighted for REAL WORLD street bias - not track.

The average guy/gal does not buy his bike for track days, they'll buy it for the street. Admittedly, HP, Torque, suspension, steering, handling all play a part - but backroads and a well maintained racetracks have little in common.
spikedlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 06:31 PM   #216
BladeRR
Founding Member

Default 929 BHP is low...

The dyno for your 929 was only 120? A friend of mines dyno'd at 127(stock). He and I both agree after it was properly broken in (~4000miles) it had a significant increase in seat of the pants power. Has MO experienced this on their 929?

Has the R1 established a benchmark since the GSXR is too much for the average schmoe? I remember reading articles in 98 about the R1 that mirrored sentiments you have about the GSXR. I would actually prefer manufacturers invest more R&D in the handling department.

Brent- You mentioned pitting a Porsche against a bike at Willow Springs to see how they relate. Great idea!! Would love to see it. An R1 owner has videos of him on his site racing a 911 GT3 at the Nurgurging track in Germany...it's awesome...you have to see it to believe it

http://www.motorcycle-dk.com/default.htm
BladeRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 06:33 PM   #217
elitegroup
Founding Member

Lots of interesting comments about the shoot out. I find it very funny though that the only people complaining are those that own one of the bikes that didn't finish first. Kind of makes you wonder if the same people complaining would be silent if they still owned or have ridden an R-1? None the less I love to read all the complaints so keep on writing HE HE HE!
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 07:41 PM   #218
mark_l
Founding Member

The bikes you tested... were they all 50 state bikes, or were some, like the R1 and GSXR1000 49-staters?

mark_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:07 PM   #219
springerman
Founding Member

Hey, MO.

Thanks for the info on the bikes in the shoot out, I wouldnt buy any of them, but i enjoyed reading the info all the same. you gus did a good job!

And it floors me how all these crybabies and moan over a bike test that they more than likely read for free! c'mon guys, if you dont like it, go some where that you will like, so we dont have to hear ya complain.
springerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 02:49 AM   #220
Azrifel
Founding Member

If you want to know how these bikes behave during a 24h abuse treatment, tuned and stock, check:

http://www.lemans.org/24h_mans/aco_gb.html

For the 24h Le Mans bike race this weekend, including the Gixxers, R1, R7, 996, Mille, Voxan CR, ZX-12R etc.

Enjoy.

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote