Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-12-2001, 08:57 AM   #191
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

Brent,

PLEASE do not remove the reader feedback areas! I read them, and post to them constantly... and I find them vastly entertaining, and I value the ability to read other people's opinions, no matter how wrong I think they are. This is America, after all, and people should be allowed to have their wrong opinions, lol.

Don

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2001, 08:59 AM   #192
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Shootout

Why do you say these bikes are designed for the track? I don't think that applies except to a bike whose design criteria is to race, and win races. Sure the liter class and 600 sport bikes are raced quit a bit. But many more are sold for street use, than ever make it to a track for regular racing. Many racers use older less powerful bikes (GS500, Ninja500, SV650, etc.) for racing.

These are street bikes, and as such they need to be tested on the street. They can still be tested on a track, for seeing what their limits are, and finding the raw numbes (1/4 mile times, etc. that can't or shouldn't be done on the street).

The bikes designed for the track are more like RC51, Duc996, Yam R7, GSXR750. But even those receive serious modifications before being raced. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I doubt (and really hope) that people who are going to race a bike are reading this site to see which is best suited for racing.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 09:07 AM   #193
bluedot
Founding Member

Default For the Gixxer Fans ......

Since you probably won't see this reported here ...

Formula Xtreme GSX-R1000 5mph Faster Than Fastest

Superbike At Road Atlanta

The fastest machine on radar during team tests at Road Atlanta

Wednesday was a Formula Xtreme GSX-R1000 ridden by Grant Lopez.

Riding his Valvoline EMGO Suzuki GSX-R1000, Lopez registered 171 mph

on a radar gun operated by Yoshimura Suzuki's Don Sakakura. The

fastest Superbike on Sakakura's radar was a Yoshimura Suzuki

GSX-R750 ridden by Aaron Yates, at 166 mph.

Lopez's best lap time was a 1:25.5, faster than the Formula Xtreme lap

record at Road Atlanta, and about in the middle of lap times turned by

Superbike riders at Road Atlanta Wednesday.

And no s__t this doesn't have anything to do with the shootout.

Just thought some of us 2nd place GSXR owners might be interested.

bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 09:28 AM   #194
da_burg
Founding Member

you talk too much
da_burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:10 AM   #195
starturtle
Founding Member

Default Re: What MO doesn't want you to know about the Shootout.

Hey, what gives? I post an article in this forum which points out two very obvious contradictions with MO's article and it gets pulled. What is it that you don't want people to know MO? The points were:

1) You bash other magazines for nominating the 929 the number one bike last year due to their advertising biasness but then you plaster Yamaha ads right in the middle of your open-class shootout. Plus Yamaha is consistently your homepage advertiser. Hippocritical or what?!

2) You indicate that the ZX-9 loses cuz it's not the best bike around the track and it's not the fastest but yet the Gixxer is all of these and it still loses. Perhaps it's because of point 1?

Yeah MO, perhaps I'm very right about these points and that's why my posting was pulled. We all know you're hurting for money but let's have some fair journalism.
starturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:12 AM   #196
starturtle
Founding Member

Default What MO doesn't want you to know about the ShootOut

I post an article to this forum which points out two very obvious contradictions with MO's Open Bike Shootout and it gets pulled. (note there were no swear words in the article).

What is it that you don't want people to know MO?

The points were:

1) You bash other magazines for nominating the 929 the number one bike last year due to their advertising biasness but then you plaster Yamaha ads right in the middle of your open-class shootout. Plus Yamaha is consistently your homepage advertiser. Hippocritical or what?!

2) You indicate that the ZX-9 loses cuz it's not the best bike around the track and it's not the fastest but yet the Gixxer is all of these and it still loses. Perhaps it's because of point 1?

Yeah MO, perhaps I'm very right about these points and that's why my posting was pulled. We all know you're hurting for money but let's have some fair journalism and feedback.
Old 04-12-2001, 10:14 AM   #197
starturtle
Founding Member

I post an article to this forum which points out two very obvious contradictions with MO's Open Bike Shootout and it gets pulled. (note there were no swear words in the article).

What is it that you don't want people to know MO?

The points were:

Yeah MO, perhaps I'm very right about these points and that's why my posting was pulled. We all know you're hurting for money but let's have some fair journalism and feedback.
Old 04-12-2001, 10:50 AM   #198
TCAir
Founding Member

True I don't own a sport bike. But when you work at a dealership and get to ride EVERYTHING under the Japanese sun, you don't need to own one now do you.

:P right back at ya there doohan-wannabe

I always have liked muscle bikes. They handle like crap but are fun.
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 11:03 AM   #199
TCAir
Founding Member

Default Tall readers unite!!!

First, Finally some really tall readers aside from me. KUDOS!!! (Unless you are a height extreme [tall or short] Don't try to guess what it would feel like to be on a bike. We look funny too.)

Second, question, sncnwn, sit on an R1 before you make up your mind. Seat area really killed me (arm length plus leg length just killed seat ergos) What are you riding now/interested in purchasing?

Last, I don't know what Honda has been thinking with there color schemes as of late. I still miss the old 900RR Red Blue and White color scheme.

TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 11:38 AM   #200
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Tests vs. specs

I would suggest that readers who form rankings based purely upon specifications don't need a road/track comparison at all. The weight, HP and torque figures for these bikes are all published, so jot them down and pick a winner without ever throwing a leg over. The bikes would fall out in a predictable order: GSXR, R1, 929RR, ZX-9R.

However, MO is trying to add some value and go beyond the specifications. They ride the bikes on the street and track. The provide feedback about on-the-edge behaviour as well as street comfort and feel. Although I don't agree that the rankings are truly "street oriented," I do believe they do a good job of going beyond simple HP and weight comparions.

So.....if you thought the GSXR should have won because it has more ponies and weighs less, stop reading comparisons...you're wasting your time and your comments are wasting ours.....

Otherwise, pick a review that weights the bikes' attributes in a similar fashion to your interests (track, street, touring) and listen to what the reviewers have to say.

Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote