Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-12-2001, 04:43 AM   #181
jbfd
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

MO Guys and Gals,

Take heart. I've spent the last two days (whew!) getting through all these posts and I believe the majority appreciate your opinions on the bikes even if they don't agree with them. You have, for the most part, given riders who can't ride all the bikes before purchasing the tools to make their own decision.

I appreciate what you do and the restraint you've shown on this board (can't blame you if you lose it though and start your own flaming). Seems well worth a few scheckles to me.
jbfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2001, 05:02 AM   #182
Donster
Founding Member

Default Re: Er...Wrong

When I got home I dug through my old mag's and realized my error....sorry
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 05:29 AM   #183
9r
Founding Member

the gixxer 1000 is NOT too fast.

what are you going to say when all the manufacturers upgrade their power outputs to compete with the gixxer (and, yes, they will ALL do that). are you going to say that NO AVERAGE RIDER (which is most of us) should buy ANY of those bikes because they ALL TOO POWERFUL?

you are going to sound kinda silly saying that. or you are going to have to reverse your position, which will also make you look silly.

your brain followed by your right hand determines how fast you go, not the bike!

if you can't handle the power just use less throttle, sheessh.

if you can't hold back on the throttle at the right times, then the bike is not too fast, but you are too slow for the bike.
9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 05:36 AM   #184
9r
Founding Member

i got a great deal on a new 9r. if i told you the price you wouldn't believe it.

if i find the carburetion a problem there is a jet kit solution only a phone call away. not that big of a deal.

why didn't i buy an R1? impossible to ride two up and it vibrates too much for longer trips.

why didn't i buy a gixxer1000? don't buy a first year bike, and i'm not too sure i can live with the ergos.

the 9r is a great all round bike. and the price is right.
Old 04-12-2001, 05:37 AM   #185
9r
Founding Member

i hope you are right. i've got a canadian spec unit on the way. if not, i'll fix the problem by rejetting.
Old 04-12-2001, 05:47 AM   #186
9r
Founding Member

rather than just remove the reader feedback areas, why don't you just post some rules or guidelines on the types of posts that are ok/not ok. educate the users on how best to use the system.

and then nuke the posts that bug you most.

seems a bit extreme to just shutdown the board.
Old 04-12-2001, 06:24 AM   #187
CBR1000F
Founding Member

What?
Old 04-12-2001, 07:15 AM   #188
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Now THAT'S the way!!!

It's all great to wonder about the newest equipment but it's the rider that makes it. I've been wailin throug the twisties when some old dude (yikes, thats almost me at 32) comes by in the opposite direction dragging everything there is on his 'besaddlebagged' BMW or ST with the wife, calm as anything, kicking back on the pillion seat and taking in the scenery. Now THAT'S a rider.

Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 07:27 AM   #189
stevegrab
Founding Member

I've got something to say about the GSXR1000 being too much for most of your readers. Isn't that also true of the other bikes in this shootout? Aren't all liter class bikes really more than the average reader (maybe not 99.5% but 90%) can use completely? Any comments, Brent, anybody?

If I'm right, even partially, then isn't the reason the GSXR1000 was not ranked first a bunch of BS? I'm certainly no expert rider, and admit it. I ride an F4 after 2 years (18K miles) on a Bandit 600. The F4 is a blast and inspires confidence. But at the same time, it goes so fast, stops quickly and turns so well that it has gotten me into situations I never would have come close to on my Bandit. And that's only a 600 with significantly less power than a liter bike.

As for some of the comments about not allowing post, or feedback, I think there is some credibility to that. Maybe it could be done so there is an area for discussions (not chats, those are too constrained by time) where the readers (and staff if desired) can participate in general discussions on bikes. They don't have to be tied to each news story. They may still be valuable for the product/bike reviews, but not necessary for the news items (where the Harley flames start when there's a story about some change in the cruiser world).
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 07:32 AM   #190
RacinJason
Founding Member

Finally, someone speaking the truth! Don't cry because some else likes a different bike than you. This article should define for everyone of us which bike we would pick. I have been a Yamaha fan since the age of 7, I would buy an R1 even if they rated it lower (although, probably not if it was as outdated as the 9R). MO, thanks for the input and honesty.

- J
RacinJason is offline   Reply With Quote