Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-11-2001, 01:18 PM   #141
bluedot
Founding Member

Default Fantasy World ?

You wonder why an article devoted to open class race replica bikes isn't catering to your sport-touring needs and you think we're in a fantasy world ?

That makes lots of sense .. why would you read an article and then comment on bikes you have no interest in ? MO has some great reviews on BMW's, VFR's, ZX-12's etc that seem like they would be much more to needs of "your world".

Even though most of these bikes and their owners will never see a track, this is an article about race replica bikes, to deny track evaluations misses the whole point of these bikes ..

Why are you interested in part 2 of the 600 shootout ? They are just more race replicas ... who's design was not with a 3-400 mile ride as it's primary purpose.

bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2001, 01:31 PM   #142
purdueme
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

http://4viper.com/willow_springs/viper.html

http://www.dunloptire.com/cycle/rrte...springs99.html

check out these sites DougW
purdueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 01:31 PM   #143
Peregrine
Founding Member

It's too bad that these rags review these bikes as if newbies and squids are the only ones out there buying them. I also get the strong impression that the reviewers think they are better riders than all their readers and that we can't tell the differences between them. I beg to differ. Without getting into precieved boasting, I'd to just say that I'm tired of shallow reviews that rely on colorful "sphincter" language rather than decent riding skills. I want to know which ones are capable of what, not that some bike scared the crap out of you because you don't quite have the skill to manage it.

Each shootout should evaluate the bikes based on their obvious objective. In this case, these are designed to be the fastest anywhere period. Did we see any evidence or measurements of this? Not substantially, just meally-mouthed excuses.

At least you guys still provide decent news on what's coming from manufacturers.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 01:50 PM   #144
caderider
Registered Member

Rippingtons?
Old 04-11-2001, 02:34 PM   #145
blip
Founding Member

We did evaluate it on the obvious objective of what is the best all-around street bike for the 99.5% of our readers who will never race.

And, with all due respect to you Robert, I doubt you'd ever be able to beat a National Championship Roadracer like Nigel Gale, or Roland Sands, or even a club-level racer who has won over half the races they've entered (me). I've ridden many times with fast street riders, once on the racetrack, they tend to get lapped ever four to six laps.

We don't "write down" or look down on those that aren't racers, frankly, we don't care if you race or not, if you're fast or not. It' just the truth that 95% of riders out there aren't really that fast. See Bob Larson's story on learning to be fast after you think you're fast, it's in our racing archive. Bob was going to race me at a racetrack on any production bike of his choosing, I was going to ride a Ninja 250, and our personal bikes were the bet. Bob decided he should get a warmup, so he went to a track school, and got lapped. I let him out of the bet after that.

Maybe you're a fast, but I don't recognize your name from any race results I've seen. And I'm really don't mean this post to sound harsh or personally target you, but my point is that even someone that considers themselves an expert street rider really only has "decent" skills, relative to how fast the bikes _can_ go. So we write to that level, whether it's obvious or not.

We certainly don't mean the review to be shallow in any way, but writing to the elite-level racers/riders you speak of is really meaningless with production bikes.

Besides, club and pro racers really only care about the manufacturer's bike that is paying the most to win.

blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 02:41 PM   #146
gixerlogan
Founding Member

WHAT THE FU.........

Oh yeah. Never mine. Just follow the solid blue bike, step away from that piece of crap blue & white, you don't want to ride that, walk towards the beauriful blue bike.... In 3 seconds you'll remeber nothing...

In any case, last year when the piece of _____ 929 won, I would see dealers with a surplus of them but not the R1. R1s were hard to get a hold of. So, regardless of what you say MO, people will follow their instincts (IMO).
gixerlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 02:56 PM   #147
Gumbie
Founding Member

I think you did a good job with your review. I just ordered a GSXR and I'm waiting for it to come in. I have a 97 Suzuki TL1000s with 125hp will keep that so when I rack up the GSXR on the track I can always take that out to play. They are building a very nice track 3miles from the house and I will be there as much as possible. http://www.rauschcreekracing.com/index.php if you would like to check it out. And no I have owned plenty of sport bikes. It is just good to know that you are not afraid to go against the grain and voice your thought. It is a good thing not everyone likes the same thing or racing and life would be very very dull. Keep up the good work.
Gumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:18 PM   #148
thomasaanderson
Founding Member

Default Re: Fantasy World ?

I do have an interest in these bikes... I'm just saying that if I ever bought one I'd rarely if ever ride it on a track. Real world roads are usually pretty bumpy compared to race tracks... how would suspension performance compare in less than ideal ? Full throttle performance is great, but do they carburate/fuel inject smoothly at part throttle and steady throttle applications that are more common off the track? 300 miles is a typical Sunday ride for me, and just about everyone I ride with... will I still be able to stand erect at the end of the day after riding any of these missiles? I shouldn't have to buy an overweight sport touring rig for such rides. I want performance, and I want to know how these bikes perform in the real world. I don't think it's a given that the ZX9R is the bike I'd want, because that carb glitch could be a problem. Or is it? I don't know because if MO did a lot of off-track testing they sure didn't talk about it in the article.

I realize that MO can't be all things to all people, and perhaps I am being too picky. But my point is that while I like open class sport bikes I find that the overall ratings and editor opinions in this article all seem to come from the opposite end of the sportbiking spectrum from where I live and ride.

Why am I interested in part 2 of the 600 shootout? Because it is supposed to be a street biased test, whereas part 1 was track biased. Good idea, I say, but only if part 2 actually appears.
thomasaanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:33 PM   #149
sqidbait
Founding Member

So, if the criteria is real world/street, then that

explains why the ZX9R won. After all, 10 pounds

isn't all that much, and a physically larger

bike will be more comfortable... oh, wait a

moment...

What was the criteria again?

-- Michael
sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 03:39 PM   #150
bluedot
Founding Member

Default Shootout

Fair enough ....

It's frustrating though to see people complaining about track bias of a test of bikes designed for the track. The same way I would expect no mention of a racetrack in a cruiser review. I still think they could appeal to all readers if they would include a "real world" section to each review and discuss the topics you mention. My point is race replica bikes don't deserve a watered down test.

bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote