Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-11-2001, 10:54 AM   #131
thomasaanderson
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

I was just sitting here thinking, "Why don't I donate to MO?" And then I read the open class shootout and remembered, "Oh yeah, their road tests have no relevance to the world in which I live."

My complaint is that this comparo was too track-biased. If I was offered monthly track time on the latest and greatest machinery then track performance would "be my bag" too. You guys need to remember that many of your READERS are not motojournalists with frequent and regular access to track time. I ride on the track about once a year or less, so a test that bases its results primarily on track performance doesn't tell me anything I really need to know. I would be more interested to know how each bike feels after a 300-400 mile sport ride on Sunday, or how each one handles stop-and-go traffic during a commute. But hey, that's just me. If the rest of your readers want to continue living a fantasy life vicariously through your track-biased articles, then I hope they continue to donate.

Speaking of shootouts, when can we expect "Part 2" of the 600 shootout?

thomasaanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2001, 11:03 AM   #132
das
Founding Member

Pretty much all the US bike mags have been complaining about it for years. A while back (maybe last year?) Sport Rider had a sidebar article (next to their open class shootout) about how to fix it. I don't remember the details, but it was pretty simple, like shimming the jets or something. Supposedly made all the difference in the world. Worth looking it up if you have a ZX-9R with this problem.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:20 AM   #133
Colorado_F4
Registered Member

Who cares who the writers chose as "first place"? They gave us plenty of information for us to decide for ourself which bike is better for our individual preferences.

Want a fast bike that makes compromises in performance for the sake of comfort? Get the 9R.

Want a bike with 600-class handling, reasonable comfort, but not the best horsepower? Get the 929.

Want a bike that is on the cutting edge of performance but can be intimidating and isn't quite as comfortable as the others? Get the GSX-R1000.

Want a bike that scores very well in all categories but not the absolute best in any category? Get the R1.

Quit worrying about what bike someone else chose as their favorite. Just my humble opinion...

-Colorado_F4 (not an anonymous squid)
Colorado_F4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:21 AM   #134
TitaniumCanoe
Founding Member

You mean a journalist is going to go into the fetal position if someone disagrees with their opinion? Not likely. This isn't third grade show and tell -- if they are thin skinned they need another line of work.
TitaniumCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:35 AM   #135
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Willow Springs (Big Track)

The official Car record is:

Michael Andretti Cart Indycar - 01:06.050 March, 1987 136 mph - (I heard that Juan Manuel Fangio II lapped in the 59sec range in a Toyota IMSA GTP car, in the mid 1990s... that is an extremely lightweight, 1,100H.P., full ground effects car)

For motorcycles, I believe the record was set in the high 1:18sec range, by Anthony Gobert, on a Vance and Hines Ducati 996 Superbike.

Old 04-11-2001, 11:37 AM   #136
mark22
Founding Member

had one for 5 days only rode the bike 15 miles . after the ride home much too commited for me. traded the bike for bandit 1200s 01 one of the best bikes i ever owned.
mark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:53 AM   #137
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh the shame

Fork prices:

Stock Gixx: $20,000

Shocks, chassis alignment, etc., etc. is similar. Also remember we are talking street tires on the street vs hot slicks on racetrack.

I am not saying that the Gixx is too fast, just that hp is not what makes great lap times. Controllability is. It is therefore pretty ignorant to say what the dork above said.

I think the insta-torque of a literbike would be great fun on the street.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:54 AM   #138
stevegrab
Founding Member

Had one of what? An open class sport bike, one of these reviewed?

I have to say, most people that have done any riding, know that a sport bike like these (or the 600 Supersport machines) do have a highly committed riding position (They're hunched over for several reasons, for etter handling, lower center of gravity, more weight on front tire, etc.) Certainly going to be different than a Bandit or other standard, or a sport touring bike (VFR, BMW). What were you riding before? Did you ever sit on one before buying it?
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:57 AM   #139
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Right on, Haru. Most motojournalists don't even own bikes. I'd like to see what they spend their own money on.

I was looking at the staff of Motorcycle News and they did own plenty of bikes, but virtually none of them were less than 7 years old. Interesting.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 12:16 PM   #140
DaveK
Founding Member

Guys,

I think you did a pretty darn good job of chopping through the BS and hype. While I would have liked lap times, still the article was short and brutal. (Just like I like 'em - read 'em and weep). Nope, my favorite brand (Honda) didn't take top honors but I sorta think based on everything else I've read that you're got the pecking order, well ... right.

Will the new gixxer sell like hotcakes? You bet it will and for some the pride of ownership and challenge to ride the bike hard will give them enormous pleasure. (and for the Suzuki faithful who've years for this bike hurray to you all, you gotta a winner here!).

That said, in my 14 years of reading every motorcycle magazine I could get my hands on, I haven't seen as many moto-journal crashes as the new gixxer. And I'm not talking moto-morons, but respected testers. What really bothered me about the crashes was the lack of any solid explanations about the crash.

Testers rode, got faster, pushed and then bang they're down and new cycle is wadded up. And most it seemed didn't just slide, but slid, tumbled, AND then wadded up.

There are some who are wickedly face on the new gixxer, but mere mortals, it seems, are faster, more relaxed, and just plain have more fun on bikes that are easier to go fast on.

Was I surprised? You bet, but I think there's an awful lot of truth to what you've said about some bikes being a handful and requiring 110% attention, restraint, absolute focus AND execution. For me, I like roosting as well as anyone, track days, love 'em, but overall a bike that is somewhat forgiving means that when I screw up, and I do, I don't screw up so badly it hurts or worse.

Dave K.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote