Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-11-2001, 05:34 AM   #101
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

Yeah sure, Mr Doohan. Whatever you say. I am sure that you can use all of the Gixx's performance.

Take an ego pill.

Before you get huffy, let me note this:

1) I have no trouble believing that your squidly friends think they are fast when they are really slow. I have cursed the 600-750 riders on the track who held up me and my crappy old Hawk in the turns. Light bikes are easy to go fast on.

2) You proved Minime's point. I'll bet you would be faster on a 929 than the Big G.

3) Open Class is not about fastest on the track or street. It is about saying "WOW! Holy $#%^!" in your helmet even after three years of ownership.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2001, 05:43 AM   #102
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Oh the shame

to be an American these days. Not only did you pick the slow bike, but admitted it was because it was the slow bike, and you say all the Americans are wadding them? I really can't believe this! A few crashes and you pick a different bike. British mags constantly outclass the American ones, and now this. Fast Bikes didn't crash their GSXR, and when they tested it on the street, the R1 couldn't keep up with it--as in, the R1 literally fell behind. They didn't consider the GSXR less streetable at all. It makes me wonder about differences in riding abilities, that's all. Now I have to wonder, did you wait so long to get this out so that print mags would have their shootouts on the stand first on purpose? And then picked the R1. Yeah right, I'm gonna go donate now.

And by the way, I'm not a disgruntled sport bike geek, I don't believe in bragging rights other than what the rider himself earns for real, and I don't own any of these bikes and don't really care which one wins--as long as it's the FASTEST, since this is an open bike shootout. Say what you want about lap times, but I don't believe for a second that a serious roadracer on a GSXR wouldn't kill his own R1 time. I am ashamed of the American bike press.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:46 AM   #103
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

You mention lap times, but don't quote them. Why? are you ashamed bacasue they are slow?

Seriously, it would be nice to see the numbers, particulary those that illustrate the variability of times.

All that said, Open Class machines aren't about being the best on the track or about being able to hapily thrash them to within an inch of their lives. That's what little bikes are for.

Open Classers are about still saying "Holy Freaking $#*!" into your helment after you have owned the bike for three years. The nice new thing about them is that they can be ridden mildly and flickably (below their powerbands of course) on a day to day basis.

Fun article. Next time, don't promise on day, then deliver five days later.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:50 AM   #104
curvecrazy
Founding Member

Their shootout seems to sway towards the average rider and not the accomplished exceptional one. Like they're saying, for you average riders out there the R1 is better for you cause the GSX is better than you and mag editors crash these things etc... How many R1's have mag editors crashed? Why would you rate a bike based on how it pertains to the masses versus how it pertains to the expert? The GSX is an experts only machine-read if you ain't mastered a 600 GSX yet then keep ridin and dreamin until you do. Why rate a bike-your 929 or my 1000 based on the masses when the masses don't even belong on one of these things! The R1 isn't a bad machine of course and if your a poser it's the business! I'm a rider........
curvecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:53 AM   #105
DosEquis
Founding Member

Well, I liked the article, along with what, at least 3 other readers? You posted your reasons for your picks plainly enough that I could choose my next bike on my criteria, and that's what I look for in such a comparison.

I'm curious how an RC51 might stack up in this group of bikes. Thoughts?
DosEquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:59 AM   #106
curvecrazy
Founding Member

Amen brother!

Let's see, today we will take the best streetbikes currently available and rate them not based on which is best in the hands of the expert but rather which is best under the seat of the pansy! Pansy's don't even belong on these mounts in first place and then they want me to donate to finance their delerium. Whatever!!!!!! The R1 took the crown from the CBR9 for most bikes lobbed and the GSXR will soon take that crown for itself. Does that make it a bad bike? Hell no, just says the people buying these bikes should be buying 450 hondamatics instead of hypersports bikes. The world continues to turn.
curvecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:59 AM   #107
Lestat
Founding Member

Not quite accurate. The test showed the bike was within about 1 mph in outright corner speed.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 06:04 AM   #108
gsxr1000badboy
Founding Member

I used to take everything MO said seriously until i read the shoot out.I dont want to come off sounding like i know everything about bikes because i dont. BUT I have had a lot of time on the R1 and I had a 929 right before I bought this new GSXR 1000. On the track, i have to leave it to the pros...i dont get to the track too much. I just take their word for it...and every word out right now is GSXR.well every word but MO's.they are right about one thing....it is a different story on the street.. the 929 is just all that and a bag of chips...but the gix is right there. on a scale of ten for handling, i give the 929 a 10 and the gix an 8 or 9.Needless to say...the r1 fell short of that.And the engine.....no one even comes close to the gix...at all. I dont know if there was some kinda of party at MO or what but somthing was wrong...you guys get to drink while you work? Im not just saying this because i own a GSXR.I call it like i see it.luckily enough, Ive been able to ride each bike quite a bit and I know when every other test done by all the other mags says somthing...im gonna take their word for it.You guys must get some kinda of kickback from Yamaha because its very obvious that their bike was severly beaten!
gsxr1000badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 06:10 AM   #109
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Right on

and thanks for reminding me about Roadracing World! Our last hope for the American bike press.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 06:30 AM   #110
jwc
Founding Member

I read a shootout to learn about the bikes involved. The shootout did an excellent job of telling me about the bikes - and gave me more than enough information to decide for myself which order I would put them in. Any of you who think this review would hurt Suzuki sales - by saying it is too fast - well "as if", give me a break! It seems to me a lot of you just want MO to agree with what you bought or would like to buy. MO was very clear about their review basis. Great review - and thanks (enough brown-nosing for now).
jwc is offline   Reply With Quote