Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-11-2001, 05:20 AM   #91
baker
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Bike Shootout Feedback!

Good plan replacing the R1 with the Raptor. More useable on the road, more fun, easier on the license & it's supposed to be a real wheelie machine. Whats the reliability and quality like on the raptors??
baker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2001, 05:21 AM   #92
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent idea...

Lots of comparo's have been done... I've personally read three - two brit mags tested against cars one, specifically was against two Porshes - a 911 based race car and a new 911S4 Turbo (doh but I forget the bike!!!). Typically the bike kills the cars unless the track is really high speed as cars are better at sustained high speed. the surprising thing was the corner speeds - generally cars are thought to have higer cornering speeds due to the greater amount of rubber on the asphalt but, the bikes were very close. In any case, in this test ('Bike' mag, i think) the cars got whupped.

The US mags (motor trend and motorcyclist?) did a test against a Corvette and a FZR1000 (corvette got killed, schredded 2/3 sets of tires and brakes and won nothing 'cept maybe top speed and ultimate cornering power - test was on Willow springs and streets of willow - short and long tracks) then later (car and driver?) a Viper and a YZF1000 where the bike lost... sort of. The Viper blew it's engine during the test, schredded a few sets of tires and destroyed it's brakes while the bike kept going. Prob was the track used was dirty (sand blown in from earthmoving activities) and the angels crest highway had some road work that left gravel on it and the distance was not enough to let the bikes tires get up to operating temp. In this test the bike lost. True, this test had a more real world flavour but we all know in crappy conditions, we all piddle about trying to save skin and plastic whilst cars slip and slide with no real concern.

Basically the facts are that bikes rip cars lungs out with accelleration, cars stop faster and cornering is sometimes a toss up... cars generally a little better on grabbing more g's during mid corner but not necessarily faster.

my two bits of misinformation
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:31 AM   #93
powerslide
Founding Member

The gixer has the fastest quater mile times.

Faster top speed.

As good as any other open class bike ergos.

And in the hands of a capable rider is the fastest around any race track.

But it doesnt come in first because 99% of the riders out there are not skilled enough to ride it fast.Come on that not what open class is all about!!

Maybe these 99% should ride a 600cc. bike and not open classers.I am of the 1% population,i have payed my dues on smaller and slower bike and have came up true the ranks to become a skilled rider limited only by the performance of the machine under me and i dont want to know what bike is the best for the masses but what bike is best.

Last year i went for a ride with a couple of squid buddys(one as R1 and the other cbr900)but my TLR was in the shop for service so i took my wifes gs500 and raced my buddies down local twisty canyon road and got down to the bottom before them(by at least a mile each) so i gess by your perspective we should crown the gs 500 king of the open classers.

I submit that the MO staff as gone wimpy and have lost there gazoubas so i am proposing a coupd'etat on MO. Lets take it over and give the open class crown to the the real best open class bike the gixer.

The king is dead(R1) long live the king(SUZUKI GSXR1000)
powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:39 AM   #94
cpunut
Founding Member

I've ridden a lot of bikes over a lot of years, and the 929 is tops. I have never rode a bike that comes even close to its handling. I did not have any problem keeping my emotions in check on the 900RR, but well, uh hummmm, the 929RR is another story, and I am not a spring chicken either

It is basically a 600 on nitrous, and it handles better than the 600s too. How did they do this? I don't know, but I sure enjoy being in this (rider) side of the equation!

If that last 2 Hp of straight line power is your thing, I'd say that you are missing the boat. Wearing the Michelin men off the sides of the tire is where it is at and the 929 is tops in overall riding D

Sorry I disagree with the article results.
cpunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:42 AM   #95
kuhnkat
Founding Member

Having ridden an R1, and having put 4000 miles on my new GSXR1000 in the last month, I disagree. Most of the time I find I am riding with minimal throttle in my favorite twisties so I don't simply leave the area from my riding partners. The GSXR1000 (affectionately called the Railgun) has helped me up my corner speed over my '97 GSXR750 (not shabby in the corners either). I am using higher entrance, midcorner, and exit speeds than ever before. The bike is so composed and gives me more feedback and comfort that I have scared myself having crept up on the limits to the point of tire squirm!! I have also ridden an RSV Mille. Haven't ridden 929 or big Duc. I will agree that it is slower steering than great handling bikes without a steering damper, BUT, it is a GREAT street bike. You can do stupid stuff on any bike. That does not make them less capable. The GSXR helps you get to your limit faster without scaring you, UNLESS you can't limit your throttle hand.

Is that what you are telling us? That all the other bikes typically scare you before you get into trouble?? Sounds like problems with them. When the R1 came out they were getting tossed regularly. It would appear from Dyno tests that Yamaha cut about 5RWHP and some low end torque off of them. PTUI!!! If I want a slower bike I can buy one from any company. I wanted an extremely fast great handling bike that I can survive long trips on. (how about Vegas to San Francisco in 9 hours without needing a Chiropractor?) The GSXR gives me more than I can use, just like my old GS1100SD Katana did in 1983 and just like my GSXR750 did in 98. You statements are saying that the manufacturers shouldn't be building bikes with even the R1's power cause the average rider can quickly hurt themselves on the bikes!!! If you are going to pander to the average rider give up testing Supersport bikes. Most of them are so far over the average riders head at full throttle it is ridiculous!!! (remember average rider is pulled down by the number of new and occasional riders in the pool)

Open Class bikes are aimed at PERFORMANCE. You want Sport Touring get a Sport Tourer. You want a Cruiser get a Cruiser. Don't you find it weird that everyone wants a street bias but still want an Open Class bike?? Slightly Schizo don't ya know. Want an excellent handling, comfortable, non scary, cheap bike buy an SV650 (betcha couldn't tell I like Suzuki sport bikes).

Maybe you need to forget picking the best turkey and simply try to get across what the bikes do well (which you do fairly well) and let your readers vote in a poll to pick what they like best!!! You'll rarely please a majority of readers picking a winner yourself.

Oh yeah, the Vegas trip was to get to Death Valley where a friend with an R1 and another friend with a Blackbird had to bow on the top end also. The Blackbird was indicating 300kp/h (a Canadian model)and the GSXR was showing 186m/h as it steadily pulled away. As for acceleration, the Blackbird was about 1/8 mile ahead at full throttle when I gave chase, caught amazingly quickly, and passed!!! All hail the magical power of the RAILGUN!!!
kuhnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:48 AM   #96
baker
Founding Member

you probably ride a pushbike with no saddle !
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:59 AM   #97
TitaniumCanoe
Founding Member

First off, quit kissing the MO butt. Their "modest proposal" article will sell lots of pixels, bytes or whatever. Second, why advocate the communication model of a government bureaucracy? That is: the writers should have no direct accountability for their opinions and that data is always pure and true.
TitaniumCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 06:21 AM   #98
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

A bit before the viper thing, a FZR1000 went against a vette and kicked it's butt and most brit mags have done similar tests with full telemetry (sp?) with some VERY interesting results.

Don't forget in the latest viper test the car was toast at the end (tires, engine - blown head gasket methinks - and brakes). I'd like to see a longer test as Caba C. in the viper test mentioned that after a few laps the car had almost no brakes left - production cars are not able (at least a few years ago) to race without serious upgrades to tires and brakes whilst showroom stock bikes can.

Old 04-11-2001, 06:25 AM   #99
Haru
Founding Member

the 9 is a massive 10lbs heavier than the next heaviest bike! oh my god! How ever is Kawasaki going to overcome such a huge handicap????

gimme a break, fercrissakes

Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 06:32 AM   #100
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

You're a bonehead.

Didn't you read that they were rating the bikes on a balance of streetability and track ability???? If you could read you'd note that, even though it didn't get first, the Suzuki was rated the baddest bike there - who cares if the outdated yam is first, it's first cuz it comfy and not cutting edge... perfect for a street bike. MO is simply giving us what we asked for - best 'real world' bike. I don't care if they picked the Honduh or Yam first, all gixxer lovers know that all non masochists hate gixxers cuz they're too painfull and too fast - take a pill and feel good that you're one of the ones who can handle the discomfort and crazyness if not performance of the supreme openclasser (can I say F1?) bike out there.