Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Arai Signet GT (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/46-arai-signet-gt.html)

philipvanstyn 06-21-2002 09:59 AM

Re: Arai Signet GT

Stupid shield mechanicals!

Fifth, or sixth time I removed the shield to thouroughly clean it, I broke it trying to re-install. Never a clue as to how it worked; exactly which wiggle, waggle, press, pinch, twist, prod finally produced the robust CRACK that always accompanied the final install. The cracking sound accompanying a breaking is small, feeble, but deadly sound. Shame on Arai.

Had to pry of the side cover to remove plastic pieces, again no clue as to how that's done.

I am mechanically competent. Now that I have seen the workings, with the side cover off, it is understandable, but still, it requires bending the plastic install/uninstall the shield.

I have a $500 head. But no longer an Arai head. Give me a helmet that requires tools to remove the shield. My ancestors began using toos millions of years ago.

kentsuarez 06-02-2004 01:36 AM

Anyone TOO long oval for a Signet?

Just curious, does anyone out there have such a long oval head that even signets don't do it? If so, what else has fit?

And for very long ovals, what other models do you recommend I try? I'm only 61cm when flaccid, but the Nolan X-lite XXL was still too small with some forehead pressure too. The M2r xxl was too small and round; the Zeus 508W XXXL was too small and round; I've never had a helmet fit. Shops in town don't carry even Arai's over XL, so can't try one on. Gotta order by internet, which is a major and expensive crapshoot and is why I'm looking for extra feedback in advance. Thanks!

kentsuarez 01-19-2005 04:19 PM

Re: Arai Signet model numbers?

I cannot afford a new Arai but sometimes see one on sale somewhere, sometimes slightly used. I'm hesitant to buy them, though, because I don't understand the different model numbers. My Signet E fits PERFECTLY, the only helmet I've ever found to fit. But will a GT, or S, or other letter fit me too? My key concern is forehead room, as I have a protruding, round forehead. Is there anyone out there who can educate me on this? I haven't been able to get the info from Arai, and Arai dealers here are not helpful; they don't stock a wide variety of models or sizes either, and refuse to order them unless the customer pays top dollar cash up front for a helmet he has never even tried on.

kentsuarez 01-31-2005 05:13 PM

Re: Arai Signet S visor removal mechanism

On my Signet S, as you look between the side cover plate and the visor, there is a bright red button to push; this requires a small tool like the butt of a plastic fork, and is easy to push. This releases the bottom catch of the side plate and makes the bottom of the side plate pop out slightly, and if the visor is down, the side plate then pulls straight off, very easily. Inspection of the visor holes and its base mechanism then makes it obvious that you must rotate the visor to the open position, and it pops off naturally. To replace the visor, you just do one side at a time, putting the visor on in the up position, rotating it shut, then pushing the side plate straight into place, which clicks in place very nicely. Then you repeat with the other side. Once you have instructions, it is easy to do.

kentsuarez 01-31-2005 05:29 PM

Re: Arai Signet lens removal systems

There is a free video to view at http://www.araiamericas.com/info/info_home.html on how to change several shield types. Highly recommended viewing for Arai owners.

spikethebike 07-01-2005 09:18 AM

I bought a Astral at Laguna Seca last year, and while walking through the pits encountered the Aria guy doing tuneups on the racers helmets. After watching him pop shields off and on for a few minutes I had no trouble at all with mine! You just need a good mentor!

NukleoN 10-24-2005 03:05 AM

The Arai Signet GT rawks. I can remove or instal the face-shield in under 5-6 seconds now, but when I first got it I broke the two side covers trying to figure it out....it's tough to know how much force to exert at first without feeling like you're gonna break something.

I love the helmet Irregardlessly™!

It's also nice to be able to remove and wash the cheek pads. :)

Dan