Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Scooters Vs. Motorcycles (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/4549-scooters-vs-motorcycles.html)

mscuddy 06-04-2007 06:37 PM

Re: Scooters Vs. Motorcycles

Lambrettas and Vespas are for punks. Get yersef a Cushman Eagle for the true "scooter" experience. 350 cee cees of flathead powah, foot clutch & hand shift. Fit one with a Truckster clutch, and you got it.

Where's that Chang Jiang test ghod damit?

http://www.vintagesidecar.com/images...CJ750solo1.jpg

SprintSTer 06-04-2007 07:05 PM

My wife wants a Burghman. When I get her one, I'll give it a try. If I like it, I'll ride it and not care what anyone else thinks, I don't feel it would be a threat to my masculinity, and neither does my wife. John Burns gave a good review of the Burghman in Cycle World a few years ago. If Burns thinks something's crap, he'll let you know by writing something like "Don't be a schmo. Buy something else."

seruzawa 06-04-2007 07:26 PM

If you're worried about your masculinity then it's too late to worry about your masculinity.

RosevilleRod 06-04-2007 07:35 PM

At the risk of repeating myself, who do you ride for? Yourself or someone else?

I ride for me. If you don't like what I ride then....too bad! (I tried to think of something cool, but it escaped me).

My response to the Harley guys a few months ago during the strike was the retail value of a used Harley was much better then anything else. So What !! I don't care what someone else will pay later. What do I (me, not someone untold years in the future) think it's worth today? ME!

Of course, in the future, I will place great value on it as it's on the auction block, but today! That's the question.

I suppose the difference is perspective. Who determines your value system? Someone behind the scenes at kelley blue book or YOU! Choose or be damned! Personally, I don't give a s__t about someone I've never met who will value my ride either up or down. I set the values in my life, not some unknown dweeb I'll never meet and, frankly, don't care about one way or another.

RosevilleRod

sfcdjevans 06-04-2007 07:41 PM

I wave to scooters.....

FX1200 06-04-2007 07:46 PM

MO readers deserve better than this poorly researched article.

Cushman and Salsbury supplied scooters to the (WW2) war effort and along with the the Mustang (built in SoCal) were favorite mounts in the '50's and early '60's.

Growing up in SoCal in the '50's, scooters were a common sight, and by the very early '60's Vespas were common as well as the more upscale Lamberretta.

Harley also offered a excellent scooter called the Topper which featured a automatic transmission in the early to mid '60's

People rode them for the same reason as they do today: affordable, low center of gravity, low maintenance and compatible with most weather conditions.

There is little in the way of camaraderie between scooters or motorcycles then or now.

sanfrdnsun 06-04-2007 07:58 PM

so...you ride a scooter?

newagetwotone 06-04-2007 09:02 PM

I really would love a burgman 650... i have some minor arthritis in my ankles and was hoping that it would be easier for me to ride.

Why cars what anyone else says?

Fenton 06-04-2007 09:29 PM

"Harley also offered a excellent scooter called the Topper"

I guess you meet the nicest people on a Harley.

ksquid 06-04-2007 09:58 PM

As someone who knows little about scooters yet alone motorcycles (that was a GPTB preemptive strike), I loved this article. I don't have the benefit of years of experience riding or working on motorcycles or scooters. I came late to the sport or rather I think it's an obsession for me. So I am like the kid at the Burger Barn gobble up anything article or writing about things with only two wheels. Rory thanks for writing this, I loved it. I wave at scooters too, sometimes I don't know they are riding a scooter until they have passed me i.e. they are the big Silver wing type. I once saw a gaggle of Silver Wings like you see Gold Wings that was a cool site..