Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #61
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: HOLY CRAP!

He's just bored and f*cking around, that's all.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #62
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: Scooters Vs. Motorcycles

Q: What's the difference between a duck?

A: One leg is both the same.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #63
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Only pu$$ies ride hayabusas.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #64
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I've had dozens of Cushmans, Salsburys & other US made scooters (Simplex, Powell, etc.)

I even owned a WWII Cushman "Airborne" that got parachuted in with airborne troops.

Scooter technology was way ahead of its time, especially in the power plant department. Cushman had a 4 stroke with a roller crank, oil pump, piston cooler, & stellite valves. Cushman (now OMC) also manufactured the first 4 stroke outboard motor in the early 1900's.

Salsbury pioneered variable torque-converter technology, still used today by such giants as Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. Also, the Honda VCT is a Salsbury spin-off, and uses a metal belt, instead of a rubber one.

The Mustang used a 4 stroke Gladdin motor, with a Burman 3 or 4 speed non-unit transmission. Not really a scooter, but a small motorcycle. Paper boys loved 'em.

MO should do some write-up on USA scooters, since they are part of our two wheeled heritage (even more so than HD).

Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #65
robb_millett
Registered Member

after 32 years of riding motorcycles exclusively, I caved and plunked down my hard earned cash for a leftover 2006 Suzie AN650K6 Burgman 650. It is, for my purposes, the prefect commuter bike. I absolutely do not miss shifting at all, and it requires just as much skill and attention to riding technique as any of my "real" motorcycles did...and it outhandles several nicely.

the John Burns CW article was in the sept 2003 issue, BTW. I have it here at my desk.

the underseat truck will swallow an impressive pile of stuff. I've carried a full-days worth of climbign gear, including my 60 meter rope, a weeks worth of groceries, clothes for an overnight stay, including both my locks, raingear, and motorcycle cover...it's awesome.

I've bashed the sidestand down a couple times cornering agressively, and the bike just sorta continues along, no histrionics, no wallow.

the brakes are GREAT, and I find it much easier to modulate the rear with my fingers (takes the place of the clutch on teh left handlebar) than I have ever been able to with my booted right foot.

it's got great anti-police stealth as well.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #66
robb_millett
Registered Member

"I need to go out and test ride a suzuki burgman 650 or honda silverwing and see how they feel. I'm a bit uncertain about taking corners without a gas tank to hold onto."

I've only had my burgman 650 a week, but it is my exoperience, thus far, that that concern is an absolute non-issue. the footboards on the AN650 are long enough that I can place the balls of my feet in the rear edge just infront of the leg cutout (where your feet reach the ground when stopped) and balance on them just like tne footpegs of a standard, with the pegs directly under my butt.

and the thing has excellent ground clearance, way more than any cruiser you can name, more than the XS850 I we riging previously (and that is now languishing).

it's a real fine piece of machinery.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #67
Rubble
Founding Member

Because I pay to read about motorcycles that are tested, gear that is tested and evaluated, racing, wrenching, events etc. I don't come here to read someones opinon of why they don't like a particular style of ride. In my opinion it is very poor journalism. What's next a three way shoot-out between an OCC chopper, a Goldwing and a GSX-R 1000 to see which is the best beginners bike?

Rub
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #68
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: HOLY CRAP!

Oh, he's gone for good this time. (snicker)

Swiftboat......

Bush/Cheney 2010.....

Biodiesel sucks.......

How long do you give him this time? Maybe we should start a pool.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #69
seruzawa
The Toad

What's next a three way shoot-out between an OCC chopper, a Goldwing and a GSX-R 1000 to see which is the best beginners bike?

Why not? Aren't those the three most popular choices?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #70
robb_millett
Registered Member

After reading thru it twice, I think that this article would be more correctly titled "WTF is up With Scooters? I Don't Get Them...", and the dead giveaway of the author's cluelessness/prejudice, is in his repeated asking of the scooterists, "why don't you just buy a 'proper motorcycle' (my quotes) and be done with it?"

rather than "Live to Ride, Ride to Live", the more correct answer to his question - again swiping from the Official Biker Lexicon - would be "If you have to ask, you'll never understand."