Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #111
kdfman
Registered Member

Default Re: Scooters Vs. Motorcycles

I'm deeply offended.

Not as a scooter rider, but as a reader of the English language.

This article was just plain poorly written and not in the least bit up to the standards of typical MO reporting.

I'd like the last few minutes of my life back, please.

Brian

'62 IWL SR-59 Berlin w/Campi trailer

'68 Vespa SS180

'78 Moto Guzzi v50

'00 Ural Bavarian

'04 Moto Guzzi Breva

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #112
maynardramsey
Founding Member

I love them both.

My Aprilla Scarabeo is like a small step through motorcycle, big wheels, good brakes, no shift, etc. and lots of FUN.

When I want to ride a longer way, and fast, it makes sense to fire up the BMW 1200LT or the 1200GS, but for a fun grocery run, give me the bug any day.

MR
maynardramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #113
colinbloch
Registered Member

While visiting my Dad in California recently, he insisted that I take out his Burgman 400 so I could see what a "real" motorcycle was like (yes, it was with a smile.)

As an R1, Magna, and GoldWing owner, I'm pretty open to any 2-wheeled transportation, but I've never had much interest in scooters. At any rate, I took his scoot on to the crowded I-Whatever of Burbank on a weekday morning, and blasted through several miles of heavy trucks and oblivious rouge-applying and cell-jawing cagers.

I don't know if I have any real interest in owning one of these things, but I must admit that for that little displacement, even at 85mph, I still felt I had plenty left giving the option to gas it OR brake out of a bad situation. And it was very comfortable and handled/braked just as well as all but my sportbike.

Bottom line: Whatever you ride, may your rubber stay down, and I'll always wave back (even though I may be too much of a pr1ck to wave to you initially )

colinbloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #114
mbmoore
Registered Member

I guess you can add me to the group that has a foot in both camps.

I started with a Ducati monster and added an R6 for the track. Then, after years of not to subtle persuasion my wife got a new Vespa. I ended up riding it so much she politely suggested I get my own. So I got a Vespa GTS. And I love it.

The scooter is my go-to bike for commuting, grocery shopping, running into the city, etc. I even rode it from SF to LA along Hwy 1. The main difference is you have to plan your passes carefully!

It is fun to ride fast and know you're getting pretty much everything you can out of it, unlike the R6 which will never fully be tested by my riding skills. And there is no joy quite like chasing down some guy on a sportbike on your favorite twisty mountain road, and having him wave you past, only to realize he just waved by a Vespa! Perfect.

Also, whenever you get off a Vespa there's always someone who says "how beautiful", or "I wish I had one" or who tells you about the time they were 20 and lived in Rome and had a Vespa. I absolutely never get that with the Ducati or the Yamaha. Go figure.

So I think Rory needs to give scooters a fair shake, and realize they can be a lot of fun.
mbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 AM   #115
ScooterMaxi
Registered Member

Rory took four minutes out of my life that I will never regain. Honestly, you know when a writer starts talking genitalia stuff to make a point about their motoring preferences something between the ears is pretty darn screwed up.

I'm one of those folks in both camps -- owned an equal number of "motorcycles" and "scooters." Currently, I drive a car with a clutch and a two-wheeler with a CVT. The way cagers drive lately where I live, my sense of assurance is enhanced by having greater visibility with a wide cowl, and fewer things to I have to manipulate when I'm riding on two wheels.

My two-wheeler "performs" like the typical six-cylinder mid-size sedan - and a few folks say it is deceptive to call it a "scooter"; I need not name it as several models imported into the USA for the past several years have similar characteristics and capabilities. Frankly, they are far safer on the Interstate than a Hyabusa or any Vespa for that matter. But apparently in Rory's World (and by extention until a retraction is published by MO), scooters are pretty much stuck in the time warp of the 1960s.

Much like a few tortured souls who never-ever quite got past that awkward phase when puberty sets in...
ScooterMaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:39 AM   #116
ScooterMaxi
Registered Member

Rory took four minutes out of my life that I will never regain. Honestly, you know when a writer starts talking genitalia stuff to make a point about their motoring preferences something between the ears is pretty darn screwed up.

I'm one of those folks in both camps -- owned an equal number of "motorcycles" and "scooters." Currently, I drive a car with a clutch and a two-wheeler with a CVT. The way cagers drive lately where I live, my sense of assurance is enhanced by having greater visibility with a wide cowl, and fewer things I have to manipulate when I'm riding on two wheels.

My two-wheeler "performs" like the typical six-cylinder mid-size sedan - and a few folks say it is deceptive to call it a "scooter"; I need not name it as several models imported into the USA for the past several years have similar characteristics and capabilities. Frankly, they are far safer on the Interstate than a Hyabusa or any Vespa for that matter. But apparently in Rory's World (and by extention until a retraction is published by MO), scooters are pretty much stuck in the time warp of the 1960s.

Much like a few tortured souls who never-ever quite got past that awkward phase when puberty sets in...
ScooterMaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #117
Auphliam
Founding Member

I was coming back up I70 through West By God Virginny over Memorial Day weekend. I had the cruise in my cage set to 65mph and I got passed by a scooter that had to be doin 75 at least.

About a half hour later, it passed me again (he/she musta stopped at a rest stop somewhere along the way).

I thought to myself "anything that will jam like that up a US Interstate has got to be pretty cool to ride".
Old 06-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #118
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Well, we thought Rory's opinion piece would raise a few eyebrows, but we didn't think it would be quite so inflammatory!

Though you (or the editorial We) might not agree with his POV, the scooter culture he writes about (not the plus-size scooters recently made popular) is quite a bit different than the motorcycle scene.

Not that there's anything wrong with it. I'm like the several others who respects anyone who gets out on two wheels!
Old 06-09-2007, 04:46 AM   #119
kakeyed
Registered Member

Default Scooters Vs. Motorcycles

There's no doubt in my mind that if I had to commute in a city all week, I'd ride a scooter.

Shifting is great on country roads, but gets old real quick when all you see is 1st & 2nd gear every 500 feet or so, between stops and red lights.

Added bonus : THEY'RE QUIET!!!
kakeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #120
Nikolas
Founding Member

I have both a 1975 Vespa Rally 200 (fastest of the vintage Vespas from the factory, and yes its tuned) and a Suzuki GS500.

The Vespa is just plain fun. I've gone through everything in the 2 years I've owned it, and I take great pride in keeping a piece of history on the road. It's a blast to ride, small and nimble, revvy, light, just great. And the way people react on the road is totally different then the bike, I get all sorts of waves and smiles. The looks I get while cruising down the freeway keeping up even passing traffic are even better. And like another poster said, going 70+ on a vehicle designed to do 50 is way more exhilarating than doing the ton on any modern bike.

Is the GS technically better in almost every single way, yes. It isn't nearly as much fun though.
Nikolas is offline   Reply With Quote