Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #51
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: Close enough for Govt work i.e. to book you in the King County Jail history majo

Thanks Carl Sagan.

Now back to the matter at hand. You need at least two readings from the radar gun to determine velocity. If the plane has moved between the two readings then the reading is corrupted by the plane's movement.

The radar gun would need to know trig in order to account for your fancy angles; otherwise it's calculating doppler shift directly away from or towards the plane. And you'd need calculus if you also wanted to account for the plane's movement.

Besides, a radar gun isn't going to see the motorcycle down there at all; you're just going to end up calculating the plane's velocity away from or towards the earth.

He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #52
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: Close enough for Govt work i.e. to book you in the King County Jail history majo

That makes sense. I mean, we have technology to be able to track other galaxies and account for earth's movement, our solar system's movement, and our galaxy's movement. These actually do use advanced mathematics to track their targets. They use calculus; Newton needed calculus to be able to figure this stuff out, so he invented it.

I was only arguing that "radar guns", like ksquid was talking about, wouldn't work from a plane.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #53
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Open Letter to Motorcyle.com

Several times a year MO puts out articles that, by themselves, are worth $11.94 IMO. I no longer subscribe to the rags. A friend gives me his Rider magazine when he's done with it and on occasion I'll buy one that catches my attention at the store. In my life the $.995 a month MO charges is BY FAR the best value entertainment/education wise.

I like MO for many reasons. I look forward to the Sport Touring and 1000cc Sportbike Shootouts, like almost everyone I believe certain Bikes should be added or dropped sometimes, what're Ya gonna do? Someone would have a problem with the selection You would make as well (Gixxer 750 in the next 1000cc Sportbike test? No more ST1300's but Yes to a Heavyweight Tourers Shootout!) for instance. The range of Bikes tested and the objectivity and Photography of the reviews makes MO unique. The new KLR 650 test was anticipated by me and didn't disappoint. I thought it was smart to have someone who knew the old bike well review the new one. I can't (but have to) wait for the Street Triple/New Connie tests. Not everything on MO is of interest to me but most of it is at some level. I like it when the MOrons take it political (check out that Ron Paul guy). Fred and Yossef and a bunch of the MOregulars all add significantly. New posters pop-in and say amazingly insightful or stupid things, all good. JB and Gabe still come hangout at times to make sure we're not asleep. I know (somewhat) Fonz and Pete and I want to hear what they have to say about a Bike they ride, they are the real deal Motorcyclist-wise. I have no doubt that Kevin will add to the mix.

In conclusion, to each their own but I say:

MO Rocks! MO Rolls! MO Rules!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #54
seruzawa
The Toad

On the "KP Obsequious Truckling Toady Scale" (KP being a 10.0 of course) I give you a solid 8.6!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #55
ksquid
Banned

idiot they can and do..contractor at Microsoft whole different story then you portaried.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #56
ksquid
Banned

Default One more time for the kid in the short bus.

No the planes movement is in perpendicular direction from which you are measuring. i.e. because the radar beam is not a single pin point beam as in a laser it has no effect on the measurement of the motorcycle's speed. You also don't need calculus (Have you taken it?) to correct for the error basic trig....Wish sporbike_pilot was here to explain it to. i.e he taught undergrad physics. I tutored kids in Math and physics but they were a little brighter than you.. kpretender
Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #57
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

My Good Name has been sullied and besmirched! My respectability has been ruined! Somehow I don't feel that I've received my 3.3 cents worth today! I want my account to be credited for one day (and my Mommy)!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #58
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: One more time for the kid in the short bus.

"No the planes movement is in perpendicular direction from which you are measuring. "

Perpendicular means 90 degrees. In which case the radar would read 0 mph.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #59
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: One more time for the kid in the short bus.

It's difficult to explain with out a diagram and you boys aren't the best abstract thinkers like my fellow engineers. I give. believe what you want to I don't care I'm the guy with the big house, big salary and the window office.. Nuff said
Old 06-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #60
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Bike Culture Barometer: Bike Week 2007

I agree..